The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
number 9

Permission to come aboard

New to the forum. Currently reload for 556 black gun, 223 savage bolt,6/8 black gun, 762 black gun and am waiting for a new Savage 10 fcp-k to arrive in the next week. Also a few pistol cals.

My strong suit if I have one is black gun reloading. All the bolt guns I purchased years ago were not of the level made now, nor was my glass.

I have high anticipation for the new Savage. I use a 30mm Nikon Monarch gold 2.5x10 on the 762 black gun and am thinking of going the same route with the new savage. I am considering a 20 moa rail to mount the optic to .

Anyway just a short intro to get my foot on board.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Pahoo

Permission Granted

Now go below and join the rest of the Black-Gang ...

Welcome aboard and;
Be Safe !!
Old February 6, 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
number 9

L = increased mv

One of the advantages of the new savage with the 24" tube for me will be increased m/v. The dpms lr308 is in my openion a fine weapon and the only shortcoming I have found is the one time I went to a 1000 yard informal shoot in Oklahoma. I had cronoed' my loads here to arrive at the target @1120+. This was at or slightly over recommended rx's. All rather hot loads.

Long story short we had a head wind blowing directly in our face. and probably 40% of my volleys were landing just prior to the target . I did get some good solid hits (targets were man size steel which would give you an immediate feedback.

After returning home I ran the numbers on the sierra computor program and yes they were to stay sonic to 1000 but more likely than not the headwind was causing my loads to go subsonic prior to reaching the 1000 yd target

Live and learn.