The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 3, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
jesus5150

CCW When you Ride... Paranoia?

I just got my dirtbike fixed and plan on taking back woods riding trips with my pops. I'm a little concerned about getting my bike stolen at gun point or rushed by a bear/moose... Would carrying my USP be an un-needed risk (Injury) because i'm being paranoid? Or is there a good enough chance that i'll need to defend myself up on the back-wood trails? I'm especially worried about having a breakdown or something and having to walk alone to get assistance.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My initial assessment is mild paranoia but I don't know your area.

I wouldn't be worried about animals at all. If those sorts of thefts have happened in your area then, by all means, carry away. Just put it someplace where you won't land on it.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3
jesus5150

WOW I used the term paranoia for the 2 legged critters. HMMM, I thought my biggest worry would be a Mother bear or Male Moose! I'm in North Eastern Washington. Well I didn't really plan on doing it, and it seems like i'm just worrying about nothing. I've never trail ridden before so I don't know what to expect. I'll just rely on the old guns *Flexes Muscles* lol.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:11 PM   #4
hoytinak

When I ride the 4-wheelers I still carry IWB like to do any other time.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:13 PM   #5
#18indycolts

Quote:
I'm a little concerned about getting my bike stolen at gun point or rushed by a bear/moose...
and where do you ride? Remind me NOT to ride where I have to worry about thieves AND scary wildlife!
Old March 3, 2009, 08:16 PM   #6
kraigwy

I dont ride motor bikes but I do ride horses. I'm not really conserned about mother moose or father bear getting me.

How ever I do live in snake country and they like to hang out where I ride. I still keep my 642 in my pocket, but during season, the first two rounds lined up are snake/bird shot.

I'm not a good enough pistol shoot to shoot snakes in the head from a dancing horse, but snake shot does work quite well.

I do wonder out into moose/bear country but normally while I'm hunting. My pistol stays in my pocket because I have my rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
partemisio

I carry everywhere I legally can. You never know who you might encounter.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:26 PM   #8
jesus5150

Quote:
and where do you ride? Remind me NOT to ride where I have to worry about thieves AND scary wildlife!
Well there's not really any public motocross tracks, so my dad suggested we find some state land and go "Tear it up" but people also get drunk and "Camp" out there too so i was just concerned about some drunk guy making me hand over my Kawi... That would suck.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
#18indycolts

Quote:
so i was just concerned about some drunk guy making me hand over my Kawi...
hey, screw the drunk guy...its yer bike, right?! Run his hillbilly face over with yer knobbies!
Old March 3, 2009, 09:14 PM   #10
jesus5150

Quote:
hey, screw the drunk guy...its yer bike, right?! Run his hillbilly face over with yer knobbies!
THANKS FOR THAT!!! Now i'm cleaning Coffee off of my Boss's PC Screen. (LOL My computer sucks so I use hers after she goes home. She doesn't care usually but i'll have a tough time explaining why her Keyboard smells like French Vanilla)
Old March 3, 2009, 09:18 PM   #11
Buckskinner Bart

It is always better to have your weapon and not need it than need it and not have it!

all who wander are not lost.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Ifishsum

I agree with partemisio - it's not about paranoia at all, I just like being prepared for whatever (yes I was a Boy Scout). Until I can see into the future to know when something bad might happen, I carry wherever I legally can. Most things happen when and where you least expect them - but chances are you'll never need it.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:23 PM   #13
gotguns?

Around my area I carry In the woods on my bike or horse. There are a good number of meth lab busts around here so I worry about stumbling over some meth head while riding. so when I go riding i take out the .38 specials and load the sp101 up with .357 mags.
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old March 3, 2009, 09:26 PM   #14
SigfanTN

I'm with partemisio on this one. I got the permit so I could legally carry. And I legally carry...Everywhere it is legal

Wouldn't you just kick yourself if you happened to to have that miniscule chance you might need it happen when you didn't have it for fear of seeming paranoid? :barf:

If your worried about injury by falling on it, how about putting it in a backpack or something?
Old March 3, 2009, 09:31 PM   #15
jesus5150

Quote:
how about putting it in a backpack or something?
That's the kind of answer I was looking for! I'm really worried about falling on it and breaking my hip or back I plan on riding hard so if i don't dump it then i'm not trying. I'll go find a nice tight fitting backpack tonight.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Y'know, I find it's easier to just carry all the time, period. My crystal ball is in the shop.

Besides, "paranoid"? What does a gun have to do with being paranoid? It's just a gun; not a voodoo charm or a pet rattlesnake or something. It's no big deal. Just because you put a belt on this morning doesn't mean you're paranoid and obsessed about your trousers falling down, does it?
Old March 3, 2009, 09:39 PM   #17
jesus5150

No not at all. I just don't want to be viewed as a "the sky is falling!" gun nut that thinks i'm always going to be in a gun fight. Now, I will say that it's a ridiculous statement, but I am constantly being told "Dude we're just going riding, put the gun away." I remind my buddies that bad things happen all the time, but they still give me that "Look". That's why in the title I wrote Paranoia with a question mark. I've often wondered when is it appropriate to carry. Some say All the time, others say only when you think you'll need it. I tend to fall closer to the Let's bring it just incase group. I love having it with me. I guess i'm just worried about how socially acceptable it is to be wearing a helmet, chest pads, and a gun. I'd never forget the first two, so why the last?
Old March 3, 2009, 09:52 PM   #18
ihctractor

I ride dirt and street and I carry IWB the same as I normally do any other time. I don't worry about falling on it and getting hurt because I figure if I go down that hard its going to hurt anyway, just make sure you have a properly fit holster with some kind of retention.
As far as full grown moose and bears, unless you commit to carrying a full size .44 magnum you'll likely just p1$$ them off if you shoot one
Old March 3, 2009, 09:52 PM   #19
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus5150
Some say All the time, others say only when you think you'll need it.
Dude, if I think I'll need it, I just stay home.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:53 PM   #20
orionengnr

I don't know how you ride.
I am now 50+ but have been riding my whole life. When I was younger, I rode dirt bikes (and street bikes, and race bikes) like a fool. Seems that I could never go 30 minutes without crashing. Best part about it was, being young and in good shape, I'd just get up, dust myself off, laugh, kick-start the beast and wheelie away.

And man oh man, have I got the scars, aches and pains to prove it.

But I'm still riding.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:58 PM   #21
pax

If you find a way to keep it concealed, you never have to worry about social pressure to leave it home.

pax
Old March 3, 2009, 09:58 PM   #22
Re4mer

Hey man I'm with you on carrying in the woods. We all saw deliverance and guns in the woods are a good thing.... LOL
Old March 3, 2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Webleymkv

I don't think it's paranoid at all. In my area, people who partake in less that lawful activity and who usually don't appreciate witnesses to their passtimes often choose to carry out their nefarious recreation in remote wooded areas.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:07 PM   #24
Greg_TX

Carrying on my motorcycle is, among other things, a significant reason for my plan to get a CHL. I plan to keep it in my tank bag along with the GPS, duct tape, phone, etc. It's typical for me to be on a highway or farm-market road in the middle of nowhere - whichever direction the ride takes me. If something were to happen out there they might not find me for weeks, if ever. My bike will outrun everything but a radio, but I have to stop for gas sometime. The nice thing is that my riding gloves fit the grip and trigger guard of my .40 M&P perfectly.

But trouble's gotta catch me first:

Last edited by Greg_TX; March 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:46 PM   #25
jesus5150

Wow, pretty bike! Love to hear from my Kawasaki Brethren! Ok so, I'm on a dirtbike with riding pants, gloves, big heavy helmet and goggles, and a chest plate. My options are pretty much only to have it in my backpack. But if I were to need it, could I get to it in time? I don't have a belt so i'm not sure where else to put it... Any other cool ideas?

You can't see it very well, but that's what it looks like, no packs or zipper slots lol.

(Ignore my Beater winter truck and the ugly horse stable.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (35.1 KB, 69 views)