The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1
two 70

69gr Sierra MK in Target mini

New Target mini ready for reloads. Would like to work up a load with 69 gr Sierra MK's using Varget. Info found browsing suggests 24 to 26 grains. Biggest concern is whether I will encounter feeding problems as I don't think this bullet has a cannelure. Anybody had any experience with this load?
Old November 12, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2
K Bob

25.0 grs. of varget shoots well in my two rifles( Savage bolt actions),and no that bullet has no cannelure.I'm not sure but I would think that you need a crimp on ammo shot in a semi auto.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:08 PM   #3
DIXIEDOG

What is the twist on that Mini? Will it stabilize 69 gr bullets?
Old November 13, 2008, 02:40 PM   #4
two 70

1:9 20" bull barrel. Shoots 75gr Hornady TAP very well so expect only better performance from the 69 match.
Old November 13, 2008, 07:27 PM   #5
DIXIEDOG

Quote:
1:9 20" bull barrel. Shoots 75gr Hornady TAP very well so expect only better performance from the 69 match.
Didn't know they had that fast of a twist. In my AR a 24.5 gr load of Varget seems to be the sweet spot, most other shooters I talk to seem to use between 24-25 grs of Varget as well.
Old November 13, 2008, 07:34 PM   #6
two 70

Sounds like a plan. Just ordered Lee's factory crimp tool to eliminate any possibility of set back with the 69's. Final coat of finish goes on reloading bench tonight so hopefully will be turning out loads soon. Will start with 24.5. Thanks for the response.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:15 PM   #7
wpcexpert

My Target Mini likes Benchmark. Great accuracy without touching the dampener. But I'm using 50gr V-max. Looking to start up some more penetrating loads though. Maybe that new tipped Bear Claw.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 08:53 PM   #8
two 70

I played with the barrel dampener quite a bit during break in and after a few hundred rounds settled on four turns in. Seems to shoot almost everything in the bull especially 55 VMax but the 75 gr TAP prints almost the same holes @100yds. Best 400 yd and plus groups were with the 75's so I figure to split the difference with the match kings, use them exclusively and fine tune from there. The one thing I have discovered is that my target mini shoots much better than I do.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:59 PM   #9
wpcexpert

It starts to look funny when it get aft of the barrel. I started playing with it. I just haven't had the time lately. I ruined a good load. Very first load was under half inch. Then started playing other loads and the barrel. Either the new can of powder (different batch) or something, but I can't get it back. I've just settled with .75 at 100. I'm going to make the time for it.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 09:51 PM   #10
two 70

I started with 50 and 55 gr TAP loads and a couple boxes of American Eagle 55's. Initial groups hovered around an inch ( once in a while) but cleaning seemed necessary after every 10 or so shots. Starting barrel damp was 1 1/2, then tried 2 1/2 with not much change. Could not group 60gr Federal soft points. When I tried the 75gr TAP results were less than impressive. Took the dampener completely off and lo and behold I had a mini 14 with minute of barn door accuracy. Cleaned and replaced the anchor, turned it in four revs and started from scatch with a pretty well broken in barrel and was more than happy with the results. Have a few 3 shot groups under a dime and several five shot targets can be covered with a quarter. Seem to get the same results with the 55 VMax and the 75 TAP, just a minor difference in POI @100yds. Cleaning still seems critical after a box or so but my most impressive results are cold barrel groups. One shot one day, same shot the next etc. These groups are really impressive and since this little cannon is for varmint control on the chicken ranch that first shot is the one that counts.