The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 20, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Anthony

Load Bearing Vests (LBVs)/Tactical Vests for Home Defense and/or Rollout Kits

Hello Everyone,

What is the general concensus of the group on the use of the various Load Bearing Vests (LBVs) (a.k.a. tactical vests) by civilians in a rollout or home defense kit to keep essential gear together in case of an emergency?

For those who already practice this what items do you keep in your kit?

Lastly, what brands and/or models of LBVs would you suggest for this use?

I would particularly like to hear from those who have actually tested their LBVs under real or simulated conditions and can vouch for their sound designs and quality of construction.

Thanks for the input.

- Anthony
Old March 20, 2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Dwight55

I gave this a passing thought, . . . decided not to, . . . too much trouble to get it ready every night before going to bed, . . . undo it after I get up the next am.

My rollout is my carry weapon and extra rounds laying on my night stand, . . . flashlight on window sill above my head, . . . cell phone next to weapon, . . . turned on, . . . unlocked and ready for use.

Wife has her cell on her dresser, . . . the shotty is loaded and ready sitting inside the safe (door ajar).

Get up in the am, cell to the pocket, weapon to carry, close the safe, go to work, . . . makes life easy.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 20, 2007, 05:25 PM   #3
jfrey123

Personally, I don't like the LBV. I could see a kevlar vest or any other one designed to stop/slow a bullet, but that would be for the extreme SHTF and I would wear it under a jacket or something...

I don't like the LBV because they're just too "out there" for me. I've thought about them for camping and hiking, but then I realized what do I really need all of those pockets for? Ammo and Mags? Flashlights? I'd have people on the trail thinkin' I'm a psycho lol!

I wouldn't want one in an emergency situation because it would be likely to make you look like some kind of LEO. That might make you a target for criminals and citizens in need of aid looking for someone official.
Old March 20, 2007, 09:01 PM   #4
ATW525

I prefer a rifle bug out bag, like the Hawkepak MA54. You just sling it over your shoulder and go, and it's a little more discreet than an LBV. I believe One Source Tactical sells them in a navy blue color that looks far less military.
Old March 20, 2007, 09:56 PM   #5
shooter_john

Another good Bail Out Bag...

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

A great bag at a little cheaper price that the Hawkepak. With that said, that Hawkepak is pretty sweet! Hmmmm...
Old March 21, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Samurai

LBV's serve their purpose about as good as a duffel bag or backpack. But mostly, LBV's are fashion accessories. If it works, great. But you'd probably find something that works just as well, cheaper.

Add the word "tactical" to anything, and it automatically becomes 50% more expensive. Keep it simple...

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old March 21, 2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Chindo18Z

Yeah...the idea of using a vest or load bearing harness might seem a little over the top. After all, nobody wants to be seen as weird, or paranoid, or too "Rambo".

On the other hand, when bad things happen, when once-in-a-lifetime trouble kicks in your door, when life truly goes from normal to unimaginable...you might want some useful THINGS close at hand...QUICKLY. In my experience, when things go south, things go south very fast, and time is an imaginary luxury.

I know that when I am unexpectedly woken up at home by a loud noise at 0200, I'm not exactly dressed for action (not a lot of pockets on the boxers).

I already know that I want the following items available:

Cell Phone
Flashlight
Set of Vehicle and House Keys
ID
OC Spray
ASP
Bleeder Stopper Kit (2 x Dressing & Tourniquet)
Handgun & Retention Holster
Handgun Reloads
Long Gun Reloads

All of the above can be readily carried on a duty rig gunbelt or a vest. A means of carry that takes only a few seconds to snap around your waist or slip your arms into. No fumbling, no cussing, no worries about where things are in the dark. Move to long gun. Dial 911. Await developments...

I figure that a life & death struggle in my house merits the exact same loadout considerations I apply to my survival anywhere else (like Iraq).

You're Paranoid before something happens; afterwards you were just Well-Prepared.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:01 PM   #8
Anthony

I'm With You, Chindo.

I think my mindset is on the same plane as your, Chindo.
Old March 23, 2007, 12:23 PM   #9
EJJR

It depends on what purpose it was intended to serve and how much one was going to be carrying. If it will be restricted to HD exclusively, a bug-out bag should suffice and IME, would be all-around more practical.

IME, vests retain more heat and moisture than a pack/bag; and depending on circumstances and geographic location, that may not be a welcomed attribute. "Fully loaded" they tended to be front heavy, and retaining agility while hiking was more important to me than trying to be prepared for any posible contingancy.

For an all-scenerio solution I'd advise in using a 3 day (sm-med) backpack loaded with "emergency" items in conjunction with a "bug-out" bag dedicated to firearm supplies.

I have not used a vest in a "combat/HD" situation so I cannot comment specifically on that, but I've used combo's of everything from tac-vests to hip packs, duty belts, and backpacks on extended hikes; (3+ days) and what I found provided the best overall performance, functionality and comfort, no matter what environmental conditions I experienced, was a "3-day" pack.

Anything similar to the models in the following link would likely work well:

http://www.imsplus.com/ims4c.html

I keep a similar one ready-packed; ( in a vaccum sealed storage bag) in a centralized location, so in an emergency it's fairly easy to grab-n-go. Off the top of my head, it contains (regardless of time of year or geographic location.):

(All items kept in color-coded heavy duty plastic freezer bags.)

Survival food tabs
Multi-vitamins
Water purification tabs
Camelback dromedary pouch
Plastic fold-a-cup
5/1 survival tool ( whistel,compass, etc)
Signaling mirror
small ultra-light folding saw
Emergency space blanket
Small med kit. (which inc. small containers of Aloe Vera gel and Tea Tree oil.)
Multi-tool ( Mine is a Swiss Army)
100 ft. nylon para-cord ( I prefer the olive drap over white.)
Magnesium firestarter
MilSurp rain poncho
Ultra-light fleece top & pants
I set Under Armour underwear
I pr. SealSkinz gloves
2 pr. SealSkinz socks

Also, keeping emergency goods in such a "pack" would allow it to be carried by just about anyone and in an emergency scenerio that may prove an important factor.

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/