The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2015, 09:40 PM   #51
nightowl64

or we could suggest and encourage avoiding looking and acting extreme so as to have a respectable position in the public's view. No police necessary.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:52 PM   #52
psalm7

Mabey hold a siminar to teach PC and how one should be more progressive in the way they think or atleast apear to be .
Mabey we could just use simulators and turn our firearms into the Government for a voucher to buy programs for said simulator .
No I will just be myself and cling to my GOD and guns .
Old January 19, 2015, 09:57 PM   #53
nightowl64

or use good judgment. No classes needed.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:29 PM   #54
Mavrick79

Night I see what your saying and don't necessarily disagree. I just wish our society would focus on the behavior of the INDIVIDUAL PERSON and stop making generalizations by always trying to put people in a certain classification. I know I'm dreaming but that is what's wrong with our society.

Your attempting to prevent generalizations in our shooting community to be made but people will see it their way no matter what we do mostly thanks to our liberal agenda driven media.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:31 PM   #55
psalm7

I dont see where steriotyping and calling people you know nothing about vile names is using good judgment . That seems like poor judgement .
This whole thing makes conversation but the point of it is to solve a problem that does'nt exsist . I hear so many people talk about the Government trying to control them but turn around and start trying to do the same to others . The take away is there is always the good idea fairy that you have to ignore and sometimes tell them , No thats not a good idea .
Old January 19, 2015, 10:34 PM   #56
nightowl64

vile names? I looked through my threads and saw no vile name calling. I think that would get me a warning from the moderator.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:55 PM   #57
psalm7

Yes you did some name calling in your OP , Mabey I said vile as a descriptive word and they were not as bad as I said but it was name calling . I have never been at a shooting range where some one was drinking , as I do not drink I would leave . I do not campane aginst people who do drink and I do not think less of them for doing so , Its just something I dont do . So I do not bash folks for not doing as I do and I do not worry about other law bidding shooters actions threatening my rights as a U.S citezen . If you need something to campane for do everything you can to make sure the right people get in office from the local level up .
Old January 19, 2015, 11:06 PM   #58
123kiwi

You'd probably be hard pressed to change some peoples ways but if they are safe then who am I to judge them?
The best thing we can all do is get some youngster's out and enjoying our sport, make sure safety is a priority and make sure they have fun!
My two boys are growing up fast and they love going out hunting with me but they know that they need to be safe and sensible about it too...
As far as I'm concerned though, anyone on "our" side is better than having them on the other
Old January 19, 2015, 11:10 PM   #59
nightowl64

I made comments about things I don't like nor agree with...that doesn't make it a campaign...you should use proper language when you state an opinion...not exaggerated language nor misapplied words. That can be deceitful.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:14 PM   #60
Evan Thomas

Let's not bicker, guys.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:20 PM   #61
nightowl64

Quote:
Let's not bicker, guys.
Agreed.

Last edited by nightowl64; January 19, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old January 20, 2015, 04:45 PM   #62
Erno86

It might come to a time when some gun ranges will specify that fluorescent clothing must be worn on the range. All of our SRSO's at our range wear a blaze orange vest while on duty.

I work in construction surveying...where all the construction sites require wearing a yellow fluorescent vest, safety glasses and work boots. Until that time comes...I'll still be happy wearing my warm camo outfits in the wintertime and thin layered camo when its warm.

What I do think is proper protocol at ranges....is no shooting at real photo's of people --- which is also a range rule out our range --- Though some years back, a former RSO gave me permission to shoot at a photo target of OBL; while I was over at the pistol range one day.

--- George Orwell
Old January 20, 2015, 06:22 PM   #63
Gunplummer

In PA the Game Commission ranges used to be open to anyone. Now you either must have a hunting license on you or a permit that you buy. This is a direct result of idiots with semi autos trying to cut down the supporting framework of the targets and just to thin out the "Riffraff". The "Riffraff" is a direct quote from a Game Warden that was up there one day. I go by percentages. Waaay more than 50% of the time you can ID riffraff by the way they are dressed. If that is the image you want to project, than do not complain. There is a movement in PA to allow semi-auto guns to hunt with. I hunt with a semi out of state sometimes and really have no problem with it, but some of the the trash that is in the movement is their biggest problem. Most get online and act like spoiled 10 year olds and offend everyone they "Think" is against them. I really was not against them, but am now. I know what I am talking about and do not need to hear the "We all must stick together" crap. Around here we just went through the Eric Frein thing. I won't lower myself to "Stick together" for those types.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:45 PM   #64
Pinky Carruthers

or we could suggest and encourage avoiding looking and acting extreme so as to have a respectable position in the public's view. No police necessary.
nightowl

How can we purge the gun community, then?
SOM
Old January 20, 2015, 09:09 PM   #65
psalm7

I shoot alot in my yard I never shoot on Sundays and always look to see if my neighbors are outside enjoying time out side , if they are I will hold off shooting until they go back inside or are not home then shoot .
That is some ways to keep a good image of shooters . For a grown Man to be so worried about what another is wearing is just plain..... strange to me .
As far as apearing extreme you better beleave those that would take away your freedom to make themselfs feel warm and fuzzie are extreme and they wear suit's and tie's .
One thing about shooting at home is you can see my range from the road and torso targets standing there with the face and mid section shot out keeps prowlers away .
Old January 20, 2015, 09:43 PM   #66
patrickmn

How does the way a person dress fuel anti-gun sentiments? Are anti-gun people standing around gun ranges? I would imagine that the only people who sees the people at the range are other people at the range.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:46 PM   #67
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Are anti-gun people standing around gun ranges?
Actually, yes. They're usually obvious trolls, but they're out there. Usually, they attempt to start questionable conversations, for which they record video or audio.