The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2009, 02:20 AM   #1
Revolver_Ocelot

Best remedy for a stuck receiver pin?

I'm trying to push out the 2 receiver/trigger guard pins on a Rem 870 express. The rear one came out smoothly, but the front pin is stuck tight. I've been hitting it hard and it won't budge. What's the best way to loosen it up? Should I try lubing and hammering at it like crazy? Or is there a better method?
Old May 24, 2009, 02:33 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You have made sure gun is cocked/uncocked per manual? Action closed, open or partially open per manual? My mossbergs need action cocked and recommend partially open action which is not so much for trigger group removal but since it has lockup lug disconnected from barrel it may take pressure off? Good luck... By the end of "remember yer livin', wounded, and fallen loved ones day..." answers will be more exact...
Brent
Old May 24, 2009, 06:46 AM   #3
RoscoeC

The pins typically push quite easily on an 870.

You say you are hitting it hard...with what?

I use a ~1/8" wooden dowel to push mine out, and the most I ever have to do is tap lightly with a small hammer to move it past the detent. From that point I remove it by hand.
NRA Life Member
Old May 24, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Ruger4570

I would try some oil or pennetrating oil on both sides of the pin, let it soak a while and then GENTLY tap it out. It may be the detent is rusted in place. If this doesn't work, take it to a gunsmith before you end up breaking something.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
zippy13

The pins should come out just as RoscoeC described. Brownells has a special pin pusher if you're so inclined. Did you follow the disassemble sequence suggested by Remington (see Handbook extract, below) with the safety engaged, or try to drop just the trigger? I've never experienced any resistance except for the first little click as the pin unsnaps from the detent spring. Remington suggests removing the front pin first. It restrains the right and left shell latches as well as the trigger base plate. Is there any rust in the area of the front pin? Have you tried reinstalling the rear pin, and trying again on the front? As Ruger4570 suggests, like chicken coup, letting some penetrating oil work for a while couldn't hurt.
How To Disassemble (from 870 Owner's Manual)
1. Engage the safety mechanism. RED BAND WILL NOT SHOW.
2. Push the action bar lock upward and pull the fore-end rearward to open the action.
WARNING! Look into the ejection port and check the chamber and magazine to make sure there are no shells in the firearm.
3. Slide the fore-end forward approximately halfway.
4. Unscrew and remove the magazine cap.
5. Take hold of the barrel ahead of the magazine tube and pull the barrel from the receiver.
6. Push the carrier upward.
7. Reach into the bottom of the receiver. Depress and hold the left shell latch.
8. Slide the fore-end forward and off of the magazine tube.
NOTE:The top right edge of the slide may bind on the bottom front edge of the ejection port in the receiver. To free the slide, push the front end of the bolt down.
9. Lift the breech bolt assembly and slide assembly from the rear of the action bars.
NOTE:Steps 10-12 are for the Model 870™ Super Magnum™ ONLY.
10. Turn breech bolt assembly upside down. (Refer to NOTE after step 8.)
11. Place a small thin-bladed screwdriver under tab of port cover and lift slightly.
12. Slide port cover rearward from the breech bolt assembly.
13. Tap out the front and rear trigger plate pins.
14. Lift the rear of the trigger plate assembly, slide rearward and remove from the receiver.
WARNING! DO NOT allow the hammer to snap forward when the trigger plated is removed. This can best be assured by keeping the safety mechanism engaged at all times. RED BAND WILL NOT SHOW.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

For what it's worth, the shell latches are staked in place. If loose, repair is called for.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Revolver_Ocelot

I've tried it all but it's still stuck. I completely disassembled the shotgun and can easily remove the rear pin, but the front pin won't budge -not even after an oil and lubing. My hammering is starting to dent the surface of the pin lol. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Otherwise I'm just going to take it to the gunsmith.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:41 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

pin dimpled? If so you need to use a "roll pin punch" if that don't work go to a GOOD smith!
Brent
Old May 29, 2009, 01:10 AM   #9
zippy13

If the OP's trigger plate pins are like mine, they're are already dimpled from the Remington factory. They act to center the drift. Perhaps the Express pins are different.
Old June 11, 2009, 01:59 AM   #10
Revolver_Ocelot

Problem Solved

Finally got around to taking the shotgun (Remy 870 express tactical) to a Gunsmith. He tried to hammer out the pin and was surprised at how tight it was stuck. After a while he eventually got the pin out (cheers) and we examined it for rust but found that the pin was badly bent (it was almost shaped like a "J") that's why it wasn't coming out.

First it was missing the Ghost Ring sights and now a bent receiver pin... That's some bad Remington QC - everything else seems good... I hope.