The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2006, 05:52 PM   #1
banditt007

Black powder shotguns, tell me about them

Looking to see if there are any companies that make replica black powder shotguns. Muzzle loaders, preferably side by side, percussion cap.

I really havent seen any around, and would love to get into black powder. I can only imagine the fun taking some bunnies w/ a black powder 12 gauge side by side!
Old July 8, 2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Steve499

www.dixiegun.com Probably offered elsewhere, too, but you can look at one there, order it online and have it at your door in only a couple of days, depending on where you live.

Steve
Old July 9, 2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Doubletaptap

Smoothbores

Pedersoli make a wonderful one. You can see them at Dixie gun works, or Track of the wolf on the net.
Also there are some for sale at gunsamerica and gunbroker.com.
They are fun,frustrating and wonderful. Patterning them is a lot of fun experimenting with loads,wads,cards,shot and other variables.
I suggest you go to muzzleloadermag and check into their forum "The Campfire" You'll find all the info you need on loads and everything.
Old July 9, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
ribbonstone

Aren't far behind a modern shotgun with a BP double...the ballistics are only a bit lower, but with shotgunning, it's all about the pattern.

I actually prefer BP shotgunning, and will take out the percussion during any shotgunning season....just find it more enjoyable, and a slower paced hunt.

Do a search on black powder shotgunning...are some very good sites. Some advice:
1. Don't buy any wads until you have the gun in hand and can maeasure the bore. Many of them are 1/2 sizes...my 10ga. is in reality an 11ga. and needs 11ga. wads to run right. Some 12's are actually 13's, etc.

2. Plan of building your own loads the old fashoned way...card powder wad, felt wad (lubed) shot, and over shot wad. Plastic and BP aren't a great mix...but if you "just gotta" then make it: over powder card wad, lubed felt wad, plastic shot cup, over card wad.

3. If 13ga. or larger, do not be afraid to try Fg.

4. BP shotguns may be the dirties black powder guns. BP is naturally dirty...but considering the pressure shotguns run, it's even dirtier.
Old July 10, 2006, 07:39 PM   #5
timothy75

Make sure you clean them asap. I left an H&R two days once and when cleaning it the residue came out like sea weed in my bath tub. The H&R is a great BP gun also, I just reload storebought shells by hand and it works great.
Old July 16, 2006, 04:53 PM   #6
moosejr

I made my own by boring out an old pitted .50cal t/c barrel to 20 gage or close to it anyway closest boring bar I could come up with was .597. I then half rounded the barrel to lighten it up, filled in the dove tales and mounted a bead. this works better than I could ever guess it patterns about 2foot at 40 ft Plus All I have to do is pull my wedge pin and I can go from .54 cal to 20 gage in just a few minutes. I relize not everyone has access to a lathe but for me it was a good way to get a shotgun without having to shellout a couple hundred clams
Old July 23, 2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Dead_Eye

I Love BP shotguns

You might try looking for a CVA (continental valley arms). I do not know if they are still made. I am buying one now from a gunstore (used) for $150. Its was called a 12 ga delux turkey double. Very well made 2 triggers and such.

As for loads, I used 90 grains BP (pyrodex) a 12 ga plastic wad, 1 oz of #7 and a half lead shot and capped it all off with a 1/8th fiberwad. Made no hole in pattern. Some people are funny about using plastic wads in BP shotguns. I learned of this from an old writer of Field & Stream magazine. The author was Ted Trueblood. He died not long after the article was wrote.
I miss that old shotgun and my shooting clay days that I decided to get another one after all these years. I should of never sold my old one. If you get one, never let it go!

Dead_Eye