The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1
savage1r

9mm Exploding Rounds

My dad picked up a few sets of these at a local gun show and gave me a few to test and see what they did. As you can see in the second shot of the video, at impact there is an initial spark, and then about 10 feet away or so there is an actual blast. Is there any practical use for these other than fun factor?

VIDEO LINK
Old November 13, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Xfire68

Those are 9mm Incendiary rounds and are pretty expensive at around $0.75 each for just the projectile.
Old November 13, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

I would strongly caution against using those anywhere besides sandy or rocky terrain. There's a serious risk of starting a fire.

Also, expect to get chewed out (at the very least) if those get used on a public range.
Old November 13, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
RedBowTies88

Also, they're illegal in some places (*cough NJ cough*)

Just be sure you check

Very cool though
Old November 13, 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Game officers; state regulations/ammunition...

+1 on TS's post.
I had a state game officer(a sworn LEO) tear into my good friend & me.
We were target shooting on a state range and shooting exploding targets.
The targets didn't exactly work the way I read the ads.
In our defense, we took down the fire hazard targets right away.

I'd add that my state's Div of Licensing does not allow any frangible or "explosive" type handgun rounds for use on armed security posts.
Tracers are also not allowed either. This SOP/rule is fair. There are far to many ways a exploding load could cause problems on a security detail.
I asked about Glasers & MagSafe loads at a state meeting & was informed the Div supervisors that they had concerns about QC/designs.

Clyde
Old November 14, 2012, 10:02 PM   #6
hayes1966

Tracer rounds are also prohibited in most ranges in CT due to the fire hazard they pose.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:25 PM   #7
jhenry

Why would there ever be an issue of a security guard using explosive ammo or tracers?
Old November 14, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Shooting incendiary rounds in a dry field. Not to mention obviously NO backstop of any kind!!!. Genius, pure genius!!!
And we wonder why some people still want to take guns away from the general citizenry!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 16, 2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Edward429451

Quote:
And we wonder why some people still want to take guns away from the general citizenry!
WADR, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. They want to take away our guns because some people are less safety conscious than they should be? Either you have a superiority complex, or you have absolutely zero critical thinking skills.

Last edited by Edward429451; November 16, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:38 PM   #10
EdInk

While some safety rules were not followed exactly, there was nothing horribly wrong or dangerous within the video.

(FWIWThe lack of back stop may not be an issue depending on far back the forest area extends beyond the tree line.)

Furthermore, amongst the reasons for some people wanting to seize the weapons of lawful citizens, "safety" is (IMHO) a thinly veiled excuse at best for other more self-serving purposes.

You can fight tyranny with your fists. Unless, the tyrant owns a sword.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:50 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Reply to Jhenry's post....

To answer Jhenry's post;
The Florida Div of Licensing has fairly strict regulations: www.mylicensesite.com about security industry rounds.
G license guards can not use reloads, handloads, tracers, exploding rounds, or frangible(MagSafe, ExtremeShock, Glaser Safety Slugs, etc). FMJ or ball rounds could only be used in semi-auto pistols(.380acp or 9x19mm ONLY).

As a security officer & armed professional, I've seen nearly every kind of firearm & handgun round used by security guards/agents/officers.

Regulations & guidelines in a licensed industry make a lot of sense to me, .

Clyde
Old November 16, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
jhenry

That utterly fails to answer the question.

Why would there ever be an issue with a security guard using explosive ammunition or tracers? What does the issue of security guards being disallowed inappropriate ammunition for the task even have to do with the OP's query?
Old November 18, 2012, 03:24 AM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Also, they're illegal in some places (*cough NJ cough*)
A guy from NJ asked (Axed) me why I'm shooting HPs. I said because I can. Boom bata boom, hey! LOL
Old November 19, 2012, 03:36 AM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

Go to www.hitechammotogo.com
Old November 19, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
WADR, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. They want to take away our guns because some people are less safety conscious than they should be? Either you have a superiority complex, or you have absolutely zero critical thinking skills.
Quote:
Either you have a superiority complex,
I think SAFETY complex says it better!!!

I guess you think not much respect is due!
Quote:
you have absolutely zero critical thinking skills

People posting unsafe shooting videos on youtube may not be the reason some people want to take our 2nd amendment rights, but it sure gives them excuses, and examples. These kids didn't even seem to know what the rounds they were shooting were, nor the effect they might have.

Quote:
(FWIWThe lack of back stop may not be an issue depending on far back the forest area extends beyond the tree line.)
Right, nobody just walks around somewhere in the woods.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:52 PM   #16
Tinner666

Quote:
Right, nobody just walks around somewhere in the woods.
Right on. We were shooting shotguns one day, bird shot, at targets on the ground and on a stump. About 50 yards downrange of the target, a man walked out of the woods! We safed everything and waited for him to come up. Shot the breeze for awhile and he said he never heard any pellets in the woods or along the trail. I do believe the woods were out of range anyway, but you never know.
In our case, we wouldn't have been shooting there with different loads anyway.

Once, while in Germany, I went cross country to get from the ranges to 'home'. It was quiet until rockets started whizzing by. I was about 400 yards DR of some tank targets. I spotted the shooters and stayed behind the targets until I was within about 80 yards. When they safed all weapons, I stood up and walked out. The Captains eyes kinda bugged out, but he let me stay and fire the panzer-faust a few times.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:11 AM   #17
Edward429451

Quote:
I think SAFETY complex says it better!!!

I guess you think not much respect is due!
Safety is ok but has little to do with why they want to take out guns.

So I guess you're right if you believe that. lol.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:

So I guess you're right if you believe that. lol.
Quote:
Safety is ok

Just OK? Now THAT'S something to be worried about!!!

No, safety isn't the reason they want to take the guns, but the lack of it gives them an excuse, and a "cause" for the uninformed to get behind.
Anybody with a firearm IS the spokesman for our second amendment rights. Safety, respect, courtesy, and a good image are all important. But above all, SAFETY! Not just OK, but mandatory!!!
Old November 24, 2012, 03:18 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

Those rounds cost Utah citizens 23 million dollars this year alone in wild fires.

So I am completely for banning these types of rounds outdoors.

People shouldn't get to waste tax payer dollars so stupidly. The starter of a 23million dollar fire is completely judgment proof. As if anyone can pay that amount.
Old November 24, 2012, 04:33 PM   #20
bbqbob51

I wouldn't want them in my house

I have no problem storing 1000s of rounds of regular ammunition in my house but I have no idea how stable those exploding rounds are. I like things that go boom as much as any other guy but I would never spend money on that kind of round, just too many potential issues with it.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Dragonheart2

To answer your question. I cannot think of any useful purpose of these rounds other than possible self defense, assuming they would give adequate penetration then fragment. In that case they could be very destructive to surrounding tissue and internal organs creating massive trauma.

Sorry about all the off the wall posts, it's a problem with all these forums as some feel the need to pop off. You stated that you had never fired these rounds before before so you were not aware of a potential fire hazard. By the way for those that don't know, any firearm is capable of starting a fire under the right conditions. It also appears that the rural area was safe for typical handgun shooting.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:06 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

off the wall? Really? Care to address my Utah specific comment. Also, the video posted could have easily been a video right before a forest fire.

Exploding rounds may cause a fire? Gee weeze...who would have thought?
Old December 2, 2012, 12:42 AM   #23
jakemonroe

problem about banning that ammo is then you have to start banning black powder weapons, campfires, gasoline, and four wheelers. i see your point but there are just too many fire hazards to start banning them individually
Old December 2, 2012, 10:52 AM   #24
dajowi

I bough a bunch of Hornady Vector Illuminated Trajectory ammo years ago. The only down side was that I could only safely shoot it when it was raining

Since the local club won't allow this type of ammunition to be fired on the ranges I'm going to have find more rainy days at some point to shoot what I have left
Old December 2, 2012, 12:28 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Look at it broadly...

Quote:
Safety has EVERYTHING to do with why they want to take our guns!

Their safety, first and foremost, and public safety in their formal pronouncements. Every child "killed with a handgun", every one shot during any crime, is a SAFETY issue. And lets not forget all the money those pesky wildfires caused by shooters costs us!, etc...

The real problem is not guns, its what idiots do with guns. And since they long ago decided not to take away the idiots, (and have, apparently shaped the education system to produce more and more of them every year), the only answer to keeping us safe is to take away all the guns! And 16+oz soft drinks, etc., that seems to be their thinking.

Actual exploding ammo is, I believe, regulated by the BATFE. Incindierary/tracer ammo is allowed in most places, but its actual use is very risky due to the danger of fire. And any fire started by someone who either didn't know,didn't understand, or didn't care about the risk reflects back on ALL of us, in the eyes of many people.