The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2004, 03:32 PM   #1
gxi.llc

M1 Garand "Timing?"

I see these "timing blocks" for sale here and there for the M1, and assume it has to do with correcting feeding problems. Mine usually will not chamber the 2nd round, but the bolt closes fine, and I get to see how badly I flinch when I squeeze off an imagined shot. Then it usually jams the third or fourth shot. How are these problems corrected? I have no desire to try it myself, but I'd like to know if I should seek out a retired armorer who specializes in Garands, or if any decent smith can do a good job.
Old December 2, 2004, 04:08 PM   #2
30Cal

I'm not familiar with the use of a timing block, but it can be used to do a series of tests to verify a good combination of parts for correct feeding, clip ejection, etc.

Timing is corrected by swapping the various receiver parts (oprod latch, bullet guide etc) until the receiver passes all the tests. It helps to have a pretty good pile of parts to work with.

The average townie gunsmith isn't going to be able to work this problem. You need to send it to an actual armorer.