The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
TennJed

Mounting a lee turret press

I plan on mounting my lee classic turret on a 1.5" thick block of wood then clamping it to my wood table top. I am not a very handy tool kinda guy so what hardware will I need to do this? Of course a couple of clamps but what kind and size screws, bolts, nuts, washers, ect? Does it mount with 2, 3, or 4 screws?

Also if anyone knows the dimensions of the holes I would need to drill in the wood that would also be great. I could at least go ahead and drill the holes while I am wAiting on the press to come in but I am not sure how far apart to drill the holes

Thanks
Old June 4, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
BDS-THR

I mounted my LCT using three 1/4" diameter bolts, flat washers and nylon lock nuts from Home Depot (You should be able to pickup the same from Lowes/OSH/ACE, etc.).

To mark the drill holes, I set the press on the bench and marked the 3 holes with a pencil. I selected a drill bit size slightly larger than 1/4".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCT.jpg (115.6 KB, 740 views)
Old June 4, 2011, 10:01 PM   #3
lamarw

Lee Precision provides the templates and instructions for their stuff on their web site. Here is the template for the Classic Turret Press:http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct;TMCTP.pdf

Sorry, click on the following link:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/TMPCTP.pdf
Old June 5, 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Lost Sheep

No worries

If I remember correctly, my press came with a sheet of paper with the hole spacing and outline of the press' footprint. Just lay the paper on your piece of wood and mark the holes right through the paper.

35 years ago I mounted my press on a 30" long 2"x6" and simply 1) wedged it into the drawer of an end table or 2) clamped it onto the top of the end table. I still have that same 2x6 and still use it, though now it gets clamped to a folding workbench.

To mount it to the board and because I put my gear away between loading sessions. So I use carriage bolts and wing nuts. The board and press go into a toolbox which is not large enough unless I dismount the press. It takes about a minute to set the whole thing up and take it down.

Don't get wrapped up in the gear. Keep thinking about the process.

I am a gear-head, too. But it is the process that is more important to keeping you safe and producing first-class ammunition.

Lost Sheep