The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 19, 2011, 08:13 AM   #1
woody wood

yugo m57 tokarev help!

just got a yugo m57 tokarev 7.62x25 from sog.
it looks like new and unfired.cleaned pistol and magazines and all seems good but--the magazine spring on magazines was install different on both magazines and would like to know correct assembly.common sense would tell me that small loop is at top with follower twards back,with the larger open loop at bottom.
any way i put the the spring in,it seems that the cartridges do not eject smoothly by hand when more than 4 are installed.they seem to hang up on the back rim of each other.(the rounds are considered rimless)
any advice please!
thanks.
anything else to look for before shooting it for the first time?
Old April 19, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
RonJon

The loops go like this: top loop to the front; bottom loop to the back. (See the Zastava M88 parts diagram).

Then for you other problem, read post #7 at this location:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...azine+follower

Ron
Old April 20, 2011, 08:16 AM   #3
woody wood

thanks ron--so small loop to top front--correct?
also while we are talking,i was thinking about getting a second one but romanian-what do you think of them?or should i just get another yugo?
thanks!
Old April 20, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
magnumPi

the Romanian ones have easier and cheaper to find mags
Old April 21, 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
RonJon

Woody -
I'd rate the Tokarevs (within those that I actually own at least) as follows:

1) The Yugo M57s (They really improved on the original Russian design that the others just copy). I love the M57s that I have!!!

2) The Polish Tokarevs (the first I got and the best of the 8 rounders (except for the added "Clinton Safety", which is the WORST design - But that's not the fault of the Poles)).

3) The Romanian Toks.

4) The Chinese Toks.

5) I don't own a Russian (Clinton forbade the import of them), so I can't comment on them.

All of them have "Clinton safeties" added, but the Yugo at least LOOKS like it belongs there!

Ron
Old April 21, 2011, 09:32 PM   #6
jmfc606

Tokarevs

I had two Tokarevs before my home was burglarized in Dec/2010.

I had the Yugo which seemed to run slow and would get an occasional FTF. I also have smaller hands and liked the shorter grip of the Romanian, This gun never had a misfuntion at all. I did like the features of the yugo better but when I get another I'll probably get the Romainian ( It makes me think of Rebecca Romain the super model and she is on my top 20 list call me corny! Also be prepared to spend hours with mineral spririts, brake clean, and carb and choke cleaner you'll need a few stiff snaull brushes, clean rags, and some cheap dollar store q-tips There must be 15lb's of goopy cosmelene dripping off the pistol My yugo needed a guide rod spring that I never did get around to getting, With my ammo stock piled,/it's stupid for me not to get at least 1 or 2 more. Keep in mind I do know how to clean a gun its just the yugos are really packed full of cosmeline Like I said I NEVER had one pronlen with the Romanian It ran like a champ and the ammo is very reasonable, I have all the Eastern Blok Surplus. None of the ammo seemed to be better than the other Just my opinion, My Late dad used to say Opiniuns are like aceholes everbody has one and 99.9% of then are full of crap

Last edited by jmfc606; April 21, 2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling