The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2009, 02:13 PM   #26
Scattergun Bob

CraigC

I beg to differ with you, I have seen the guns and ammo in Mombassa, Kenya at the old A&F trade shop. 4 and 8 SMOOTH bore double barrels. They also had cartridge boards showing some very impressive slugs used in the mid 1800's.

So, you may say "No" but I say "YES".
Old December 14, 2009, 03:50 PM   #27
BigJimP

Hey, I have "stones" ..... oh wait, those were gall-stones ---and they took those out .....

good to see you around Bob ..
Old December 14, 2009, 03:50 PM   #28
CraigC

That's cool, I didn't say they didn't make shotguns of that size. But there were indeed 4 and 8 bore rifles. As I stated, they used brass cases, real bullets, lots of powder and had rifled bores. Some are still being produced on a limited basis.

Maybe you should call Ross Seyfried, who owns and shoots these monsters, that he's wrong in calling them "rifles"???
Old December 14, 2009, 06:06 PM   #29
Scattergun Bob

BigJimP

Jim,
Sorry I haven't kept in touch, good to hear from you too. My PM center here in the forum stopped working ? Just the other day I received a covey of OLD messages from you and Pete, I try to catch up!

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old December 14, 2009, 06:25 PM   #30
BigJimP

I'm sure its a technical problem .... "can't be an operator issue"....

which reminds me, I have to put my cell phone away tonite, 4 of the local grandkids are coming over to make cookies ( and one of them will screw with my cell phone just to aggravate me ...) ...

Stay well Bob .
Old December 14, 2009, 10:30 PM   #31
DG45

As I recall from my youth in the 1950's ,African Safaris were pretty much only the milieu of wealthy "white hunters" who could (a)afford such an expedition and (b) afford the expensive specialty rifles and cartridges used in this type of hunting. These rifles were almost cannons, and the cartridges they used were almost cannonballs. Specialty rifles were neccesary because Rhinos and Elephants and Tigers and Lions don't go softly into that good night. However, being financially able to afford these cannons didn't neccesarily confer shooting skills upon the owners, and since many of them were "adventurers"; and not really skilled hunters, and because some of them might flinch (in some cases) when firing a cannon while facing a tiger, savvy safari organizers always had a couple of trusted natives standing nearby (just out of the photos) with double-barrel shotguns, just in case Bawana missed or wounded that tiger or Rhino. These guys were counted upon to kill such a charging animal with a barage of shotgun blasts. I always assumed these guns were 12 gauge loaded with something like 000 Buckshot, but they may have been bigger than 12 gauge, and they may have been loaded with slugs instead of shotshells..
Old December 14, 2009, 11:05 PM   #32
EnoughGUN

OK, it seems like a 12gauge will dispatch almost anything pretty well but is a little iffy on thicker skinned or boned animals. A slug has massive energy but not the hardness to penetrate some things well. Seems the answer would be a huge bore bullet in a sabot like a muzzle loader uses. I'm surprised someone has not done something like this but I can't find anything like it on the net.
Old December 14, 2009, 11:29 PM   #33
rbernie

http://www.brennekeusa.com/
Old December 14, 2009, 11:44 PM   #34
StiveC2007

The only thing that a 12ga wont kill is a Manbearpig super serious you cant kill a manbearpig with a 12ga no way no how
Old December 15, 2009, 01:47 AM   #35
.351winchester

Quote:
However, a 45-70 loaded with Garrett Cartridges can and HAS taken every big, dangerous land animal on the planet. I don't know if there is a better choice than that.
Is that safe in a Marlin GG? I know .45/70 can be cranked up to damn near .458 Win Mag...I wouldn't wanna try that with a Cobray Ladies' Home Companion, Thunder-5 or even a Contender carbine

Thx for the Dixie link (and Dupleks), looks like some more cool oddball stuff to stick in the ol' 12 ga. ammo can
Old December 15, 2009, 02:05 AM   #36
mathman

Yes, it's safe in a Marlin GG...in fact, that is exactly what they used. Just go to Garrett Cartridges website and check it out.
Old December 15, 2009, 02:49 AM   #37
.351winchester

I will but...these are EBR investment times.
Have wanted to check out their bear rolling .44 Mag loads too though