The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2005, 12:17 AM   #1
454PB

Model 97

I'm big into firearms, but shotguns are not in my area of "expertise". I inherited my Dad's guns a few years ago, and my wife has convinced me that I don't have to keep all of them just because he owned them. I'm thinking of selling a few that I will never shoot, and one of them is a Winchester Model 97 12 gauge shotgun. Can any of you give me an idea of a fair market price for this old gun?
Old February 27, 2005, 06:23 AM   #2
kudu

That is definitely a collectors gun now, as well as a good shooter. If the gun is in decent original condition and hasn't been chopped they run from $400 to $800 for good looking ones to well up into almost $2000 for select target or military models of the 97 like the pigeon grade traps or skeets to trench guns.

If it were me, I would hold onto that gun for my kids, or because it was my dad's. They are really fun to shoot as well, but don't get your hand to far up on the pistol grip or the bolt will come back and skin the back of your hand.

These are in big demand by cowboy action shooters, unfortunately they cut the barrels down short to make them better to maneuver.
Old February 27, 2005, 03:55 PM   #3
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

This is not an anwer to your question, but my humble opinon:

The way I look at it my dad's and grandad's gun aren't mine; they were only entrusted to me. Although cared for, they will not be refinished or modified in any way. They certainly will not be sold. There's not enough money to buy my heritage.

Denny
Old February 28, 2005, 12:59 AM   #4
454PB

I appreciate your help, and your sentiments. Without going into detail, I inherited a lot of guns. So many, that with all the ones I already owned, I ran out of room in my two gun safes. I gave a gun to each of his grandkids already, the one I gave my daughter was a 16 gauge model 97. I want to honor his memory and I do, but he also collected model railroad stuff. There were several truckloads of that, and rather than start a new hobby, it was sold to a dealer for what I thought was a lot of money.

Believe me, this is not an easy decision, but we all have to draw a line somewhere.

Again, thanks for your help and expertise.
Old February 28, 2005, 09:59 PM   #5
SpectreBlofeld

I consistently make the mistake of letting my sentiment overpower my sense of practicality, and as a result, i own wayyyyyyy more junk than i can possibly need or really afford to maintain/appreciate.

Do what you gotta do
Old March 1, 2005, 02:49 AM   #6
cntryboy1289

try AuctionArms

If you really need to get rid of it, I would find out what the BlueBook said the value is and try to auction it off at one of the gun auction sites. Auction Arms and Gun Broker are two I use. I feel like Mr Hansen does about selling one of my Father's or grandfathers guns. Do what folks did before gun cabinets became the norm and hide them under the bed or in a closet or behind the door. Or you could just adopt me and pass it on. Oh well, it was worth a try.