The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 12, 2005, 07:00 PM   #1
OneEye

Scope Advice

we have purchased two Savage .223 12FVs. One of them has a Simmons Prohunter 6.5 to 16 X whatever and will not hold zero (this one I have now). The other is on order and should arrive next week. Needless to say Im shopping for scopes.. I intend to varmint shoot and just plain plink around with the guns. Max range Ill be shooting will probably as far as I can see but I only expect to shoot around 200 yards or less. Does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive scope Sub $150 scope that would suit our needs? I like Burris and Leupold however I dont need a scope of that breed. This needs to be more on a beer budget. I would like as much zoom as possible for the longer shooting.

Thanks
OneEye
Old January 12, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2
bill k

I have a simmons pro hunter 6x18 mounted on a remington 25-06. I'm not a big fan of simmons but this one has held up fairly well. I think I paid around $100.00 six or eight years ago. My big bitch about simmons is light collection and glare in the field. For targets it works fine. My son in law likes the scope, he got his first buck when he borrowed it.
Old January 12, 2005, 07:31 PM   #3
steveno

I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 4 - 14 x 44 on a Ruger # 1B in 22-250 that I'm really happy with. I think it is in the $250 range. It is a lot better than Simmons and Tasco
Old January 13, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4
PSE

you can still have a leupold, just search for a used scope at the shows or online and send it back to leupold for service. i buy all the broken ones and used-beaten up ones i can.