The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 6, 2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Theohazard

A British couple goes shooting for the first time

Today a British couple on vacation came over to the retail side of our gun shop/range after they finished shooting handguns for the first time. The husband was looking longingly at the AR-15s so I showed a few to him. He said he'd never even held one, let alone shot one. So I grabbed some ammo, my suppressor, and my AR and took them shooting.

The wife was a little scared and only managed one round through the AR, but the husband had a blast! A range employee brought over his SCAR 16 so the husband got to shoot that too. At the end he was talking about maybe moving to the US so he could own guns and the wife was already worrying about how much money he could end up spending on his new hobby.
Old June 6, 2013, 02:45 AM   #2
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by theohazard
and the wife was already worrying about how much money he could end up spending on his new hobby.
My wife asks the same thing...
Old June 6, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3
mehavey

My wife no longer ....worries.
Old June 6, 2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Closing The Gap

My wife has the "bug" too. So I'm happy as can be.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:11 AM   #5
arch308

Awesome little story. This kind of thing is the best PR for us and I bet you had a big smile yourself. KUDOS
Old June 6, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Yankee Traveler

OUTSTANDING!!!
Old June 6, 2013, 11:12 AM   #7
wogpotter

Congratulations! You've sucessfully become the first person ever to cite an AR-15 as co-respondant in a British divorce proceeding!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
Congratulations! You've sucessfully become the first person ever to cite an AR-15 as co-respondant in a British divorce proceeding!
This is great
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old June 6, 2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Miss Stana

Great story, I wish more people could get hooked on shooting (responsibly of course). I don't mind when my husband brings home new guns or ammo.

AIC
Custom Rifles
Old June 6, 2013, 04:41 PM   #10
locnload

Theo, Great work. Convert them one or two at a time. This could have international implications.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Kimio

What a great story, I always get a smile when I hear about stuff like this. Just like the post we had a while back about a bunch of German kids that got the chance to go to the range. Safety infractions up the wazoo, but still a nice thing to hear.

Always a pleasure to hear more folks getting into the hobby of firearms. We need all the ammo (pun intended) we can get to fight back against the gun grabbers.

Great work Theo, keep up the wonderful work . I hope that couple does decide to come the US of A!
Old June 6, 2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Microgunner

Great story.
Everytime Brits come into our shop, which is fairly frequently since we're in Florida, they want to hold black rifles and photograph each other.
They always seem to be grinning.

Last edited by Microgunner; June 6, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old June 7, 2013, 12:54 AM   #13
AL45

Always good to hear stories like that. I would bet if all the anti-gunners had a chance to shoot a variety of guns, the vast majority would become gun owners.
Old June 7, 2013, 01:42 PM   #14
larryf1952

Isn't it wonderful when people are allowed the freedom to discover for themselves what firearms and actual firearms enthusiasts are really all about, rather than having access to only the hysteria and lies that are fed to them by their governments? I love stuff like this.
Old June 8, 2013, 12:08 AM   #15
kilimanjaro

I wonder what would happen if the British put it to a vote, restore their former gun rights or not? Politicians might be surprised.
Old June 8, 2013, 12:15 AM   #16
medalguy

Reportedly a recent poll cites something like 84% of Brits wanted to have the right to own firearms. I can't remember the source of the report.
Old June 9, 2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Theohazard

Thanks for all the great replies! Yeah, it was a great experience for all involved!
Old June 10, 2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Rj1972

Now THAT'S an international arms treaty!
Old June 10, 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
manta49

Sounds like they had fun my brother and his son were in America and went to a few ranges they had a good days shooting. You don't have to be in America for the wife to complain about the amount of money spent on firearms. I live in the UK and get plenty of complaining from the wife.
Old June 12, 2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Lark

Quote:
Reportedly a recent poll cites something like 84% of Brits wanted to have the right to own firearms. I can't remember the source of the report.
I saw that poll and it made just as much sense as the poll that said most Americans supported the background check bill. Most Brits are sheep that live in a nanny state and like it that way.

lark
Old June 14, 2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Bigdog57

I have a friend here at work, born in Britain and married an American gal, they moved back here. He soon became naturalized, is politically a Conservative Republican, and a gun owner. He and his oldest son took their hunter safety course together. Both his oldest sons now in the USAF as officers. Phil is here to stay as a proud American!

I have met several foreign-born Americans at our local range. They do enjoy their rights, including the Second Amendment!
Old June 14, 2013, 02:35 PM   #22
saddler

Quote:
manta49 You don't have to be in America for the wife to complain about the amount of money spent on firearms. I live in the UK and get plenty of complaining from the wife.
Know what you mean....I'm in Edinburgh & I can hear her from here!!

You must need more practice on sneaking more kit into the house; a cardboard tube in an otherwise empty gunslip is a good option

That said - mine shocked me by spotting that my Rem 870 seemed to have taken on a new appearance one day - I thought "she'll NEVER spot a second 870" = WRONG
Old June 17, 2013, 04:08 AM   #23
Ignition Override

saddler: The military collection in Sterling Castle is interesting. The Enfield #4/Mk. 2 is a beauty (two years ago). One morning we walked from the B&B up towards the Royal Mile. With throngs of people leaving the area, I told my wife that we must have missed something worth seeing.

Your troops had Just returned from the war, and I heard that the parade was just like in the old newsreels, bag pipes and all!
Wish we had known about it the day before.

Theohazard: Nice job. A very attractive English lady works at the ranger station in the Shelby Farms recreation area.
I told her that the Germantown gun shows are barely two miles away.

The news somehow provoked a strange, worried look on her face.

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 17, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:47 AM   #24
richfr

Most UK citizens haven't seen never mind held a firearm of any type never mind an AR. Its drummed into you that guns are bad
I moved to France thinking gun laws where the same and stumbled across a range not knowing its legal to own virtually anything (not fully auto) and now have a hobby I love.
I regularly see the smile on peoples faces when they see and shoot for the first time
I couldn't go back to the UK now as I wouldn't want to give it up.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:16 AM   #25
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I moved to France thinking gun laws where the same and stumbled across a range not knowing its legal to own virtually anything (not fully auto) and now have a hobby I love.
That is good to know:
I have some ties with that very beautiful country and so if ever life offered an opportunity to live there a while, it might be nice for the family to try life in yet another country.

The fact that I can keep shooting is even better!!