The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 19, 2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Clark500

Yugo SKS and corrosive ammo

I am contemplating the purchase of a Yugo M59/66. I only have shooters in my collection, and the more range time the better. Therefore, cheap ammo is a must for me. I have narrowed the ammo choices to 2: brass milsurp and laquered steel. I would prefer the brass, but I know it is corrosive. I have plenty of experience with cleaning after corrosive ammo in bolt guns, but I am a little concerned with cleaning the gas system on an SKS. Does this even pose a problem? I know these weapons have probably had thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo through them already, so am I being overly cautious? Does anybody have any M59 cleaning tips they would care to share?
Old February 19, 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Tom2

There is no good reason to buy brass cased corrosive for an SKS anyway. Unless it is dramatically cheaper than the current steel cased stuff. You are not gonna be able to re use the brass cases except for scrap metal salvage. The SKS is designed to shoot the steel stuff OK. Not a problem unless you let the chamber get all crudded up with impacted laquer or other foreign residues. As for cleaning the Yugo, with that complicated grenade launcher stuff, the gas valve system is often a victim of a history of corrosive ammo and insufficient cleaning by previous users. The hassle of cleaning it up should be justified by a great savings in ammo costs if you are buying bulk. If you are not gonna shoot tons of ammo thru it, then I would pay a bit more for non corr. ammo up front. I shoot corrosive from MN rifles but only because it is mostly readily available as compared to anything noncorr. and cleaning a bolt gun is alot easier than taking apart that SKS each time to insure no hidden damages.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Clark500

That sounds like good advice. The laquered steel is only marginally more expensive than the brass milsurp, so the cost savings (even in bulk) would be nil. You mentioned possible cleaning difficulties because of the grenade launcher. Should I think twice about this model?
Old February 19, 2010, 10:15 PM   #4
OldShooter

I had a Yugo SKS and it was a good shooter and reliable. You just have to remember to clean the gas valve. It's not a big deal.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Ignition Override

Whether months before the pres. election, or many months after, I've never noticed more than a slight price difference between Yugo brass x39 and the Russian brands (all non-corrosive).

I just advertised 1,000 rds. of newer Wolf x39 for only $200 in original plastic wrap/cardboard box on Six Websites, and only received one offer-after a week. Wanted the deal to be in person.

Sold it to a local friend who knew that I wanted the cash to buy more surplus 8mm Mauser ammo.
It appeared that the price for non-corrosive x39 must be expected to go lower, as $200 per 1,000 rounds drew no attention in the Memphis area via those websites.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:56 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Mr. Override-
The next time you have stuff for sale, let me know. I'm in Collierville.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Clark500

I just saw that Brown Bear comes in poly as well as lacquer (about the same price - both cheaper than Wolf). Any preferences on those?
Old February 20, 2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Rampant_Colt

If BB ammo is cheaper than Wolf, by all means get it!
Brown Bear is good stuff.

cleaning up after shooting corrosive ammo is no problem.. Whaddya think they did out in the bush without access to Hoppe's 9 and synthetic oils? LoL