The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
TargetTerror

What is the hottest Large Pistol primer?

I'm looking to try some full house 44 Magnum loads in a Blackhack that I just acquired. I plan to use either H110 or Win 296, as I have some on hand already. These 2 powders are very hard to light, and benefit from a hot, magnum primer and a full house load.

The load manuals I have use a variety of primers, some magnum, some not. Given my experience with H110 being hard to ignite (I had a squib with .357 mag using standard primers), I'd like the hottest primer I can get, if possible. Anyone know which brand runs hottest?

Many of the load recipes in the manuals call for the Winchester WLP primer. I've heard that Winchester's WSPM is the hottest primer in that size. Winchester claims that the WLP are suitable for standard AND magnum loads. How can this be? Are they really suitable for reliably setting of H110 yet still capable of safely igniting 2400 (one of my manuals SPECIFICALLY said not to use magnum primers with 2400 b/c pressure increases dramatically). How hot are they compared to other LP magnum primers?
Old December 3, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2
rwilson452

Winchester added an aluminium compound to their mix. This makes sparks when they go off. It doesn't make them more explosive it makes them hotter, longer.
Old December 3, 2007, 02:04 PM   #3
WIL TERRY

They All--all!!!--have Metallic Compounds Like That.

It has nothing to do with how HOT they are. HOT is entirely the wrong adjective to boot.
Old December 3, 2007, 03:52 PM   #4
TargetTerror

Quote:
It has nothing to do with how HOT they are. HOT is entirely the wrong adjective to boot.
Ok, Wil, then what is the correct adjective? I want a primer with more "oomph" to reliably set off H110. What do I need? Heat? Pressure? Both? Something else?
Old December 3, 2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Travis Two

Use the winchester large primers, make sure you have adequate crimp and don't reduce the load to below 80% case capacity and you'll get all that you can get out the load and powder combo. 24-25grs of ww296 or h110 behind a 240 gr. bullet will get you there.
Old December 3, 2007, 06:30 PM   #6
crowbeaner

FYI; the term you seek is called brisance. I don't know where you can find a table of lowest to highest unless the BATFE has one. This is one of those things that SAAMI should publish, but doesn't. I always used CCI 350s with 296 and 300s with H110. For full power loads in your 44 the WW data shows 24.0 of 296 with a 240 JHP, and 25.0 with a 240 LSWCGC bullet. Trust me when I say that the lead load at 1500 fps. will give your shooting hand the shakes after a box of 50. CB.
Old December 4, 2007, 07:17 PM   #7
steelbuster

Winchester Large Pistol. I use them in all loads, all powders, and have never had a misfire. One thing I have had occur. Max book loads using AA9 and CCI Mag primers instead of WLP result in over pressure rounds in my .44Mag Taurus every time I try this combo. It's the only powder that does this in my experience, but it's a reminder that when we depart from the book we are experimenting.

Last edited by steelbuster; December 7, 2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old December 5, 2007, 10:50 AM   #8
ForneyRider

I am using the Federal 150 large magnum pistol primers for ~20gr H110 in 41 mag.
No unburnt powder. I've shot 6 of them so far.

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html
These are rifle primers, but it follows what I have been told about primers.

CCI - low
Remington - medium
Federal - medium
Winchester - "hottest"

Not sure if more flame or spark is better at igniting the powder.

Pressure differences occur when using same load with different powders.

A lot of the recipes in Handloader magazine seem to use CCI.
The recipes in G&A magazine seem to use gammut (sp?).

I chose Federal because I am going straight off the recipe until I get more experience with reloading. Using the Nosler book.

"Hot", "Hotter", and "Hottest" may not be the best terms, but it is what's used when I bring it up with other reloaders/handloaders.