The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2006, 10:40 AM   #1
OuTcAsT

Home Drill Pays Off

Let me start by saying that I am a single father with two teens that live with me. My son (16) and Daughter (18)
Since they have been young (10-12) I have taken both with me to the range, hunting, etc. and both are very proficient with all of my rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
We have, for a couple of years, discussed how to handle a burglary/invasion to our home under different scenarios. IE: home alone, two at home, or whole family at home.

Each of us has our own bedroom, two at the end of a hallway are theirs, one midway thru hallway is mine.
Each has their own weapon in their rooms, My son has an 870, usually loaded with turkey loads. My daughter has my Hi-Point 995 Carbine loaded with PMC 125gr HP, and I have the gun safe in my room, but keep my 1911 (my usual carry weapon) on my nightstand.

They have been instructed that should there be any sign of trouble, they are to lock their door, take cover behind the bed, keep the door covered, call 911 from their cell, and do not open the door unless I, or a LEO gives them the clear. We also use a code word, they have been instructed to pass this info along to 911, and will not stand down unless the code word is given...PERIOD.

That being said, last night around 11:30pm the kids were in their respective rooms asleep, or darn near. I was sitting in the living room (which the hallway opens into) had turned off the light, and was sitting in my lazy-boy relaxing, and contemplating going to bed, when I hear my overhead door to my garage open. This is one of those heavy wooden affairs, that used to be operated by an opener, but the opener failed some months back and I have still not fixed it. (we do not keep a vehicle inside, its more of a workshop)
Upon hearing this, I draw my 1911, grab my surefire, and from behind a wall, shine the light into the garage thru the window on the door, and announce loudly that I am armed, and 911 has been called. I then backed down the hallway, alerted my children (as if my screaming before-hand had not) and took up a position where I could cover the door from the garage from behind a large sofa. I then called 911, advised them of the situation, including our tactical situation, and location in the house. within 1 minute there were 3 cruisers and 1 plain-clothes on the scene. once 911 advised that the officers were at the door, and asked that we secure our weapons, we did so, and I un-locked the door and went out into the garage to talk with them. no sign of anyone around, however it would be a simple matter to run and conceal yourself in this neighborhood. The officer suggested I get the door fixed, I agreed (doing it today) and that was that. I am glad this turned out well THIS time, but am also glad to see that our training paid off, everyone was in the right place, doing the right thing, Hope it never is tested again, but good to know it works.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old September 14, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Ronny

We need more dads like you!

Your children are lucky to have a father like you. Good job staying cool, and to your kids as well for their responsibility with their weapons and for remembering what they've been taught. The best home security system cannot take the place of a well-organized home defense strategy by an alert family!

Best to you and your family,
Ronny
Old September 14, 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
springmom

Good job, dad

Well done!!!!

(Now go fix that door )

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 14, 2006, 03:04 PM   #4
chris in va

Funny you mention that HiPoint. I have one in 9mm and my friend wants me to keep it loaded in the safe since she likes it the best. I don't have a pump shottie anymore but might consider getting one again for HD.

I think though if I did everything you described she would roll her eyes and tell me to knock it off. I've been called paranoid more than a few times.
Old September 14, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
tony pasley

3 gold stars for dad
Old September 14, 2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Dwight55

+1

Good job, . . . hug both the kids and keep practicing.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 14, 2006, 10:55 PM   #7
jfrey123

Great job!

I run little drills myself. My roommate is more of a sword guy (has 9 long blades and 3 short blades) but him and I have worked out how we would defend this little apartment of ours.

I think it's important that anyone who lives with you knows exactly how you're going to react to a home invastion, and they should be accounted for in the plans/drills as well, whether it be defending them or them going on the strong defense with you.
Old September 15, 2006, 08:00 AM   #8
OuTcAsT

Quote:
(Now go fix that door )

Springmom

Happy to report, Door opener is repaired.

Quote:
Funny you mention that HiPoint. I have one in 9mm and my friend wants me to keep it loaded in the safe since she likes it the best.

Chris: I think the little Hi-Point carbines are great for Ladies, or folks with small hands, gives you lots of control, light weight, and very reliable. IMHO They may be one of the best HD weapons you can own.

Old September 16, 2006, 06:45 AM   #9
dfaugh

Quote:
I think the little Hi-Point carbines are great for Ladies, or folks with small hands, gives you lots of control, light weight, and very reliable. IMHO They may be one of the best HD weapons you can own.
Ditto, in fact that's my 24 yr. olds preferred HD weapon, even though he's 6'2 and about 200 lbs. He's shot it alot, and is simply more comfortable with it than some of my others.

I have a very similar situation, both my son's (21 and 24) live with me (at least at the moment), but I've had a VERY difficult tiime getting them serious about HD/SD scenarios (note that they lived 50/50 with their mother and I (divorced when they were young) most of the time they were growing up--she "dislikes" guns even though she was raised on a farm where there was always a gun handy.)

Any tips on how to get them to take this more seriously?

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 16, 2006, 04:33 PM   #10
OneInTheChamber

I think you performed well.

1. You had all the tools at hand. Having a tactical level light and a weapon ready to go was key. Without those, you would have been delayed by running around trying to gather the needed tools, instead of going straight into action.

2. You voiced yourself well. In that situation, since they weren't in the house, you were able to scare them away. This also gave your kids some warning something was going on to.

3. You received quality police response. That's always reassuring when the calvary comes in.

4. You had planned for an invasion, but didn't even need it because of your immediate response.

But, I found one thing that wasn't perfect. Not that it was wrong or even bad; just not as perfect as the rest of your performance:

Quote:
took up a position where I could cover the door from the garage from behind a large sofa
A sofa, although heavy and large, is poor cover. It's good concealment; but lacks any ability to stop incoming rounds if the situation came to that.

Other than that; you were flawless! I bet that thief will never come back!
Old September 16, 2006, 05:42 PM   #11
mbs357

You seem to have your act together, so I hate to mention this, but it just popped into mind...
Are the kids' positions in their rooms (their hold up position) in a good location so as they're not able to shoot each other or you through the door?
Old September 16, 2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Epyon

Go dad!!

The training you've given your kids will pay off the day they have children as well, as I'm sure they'll teach theirs the same drills. The girlfriend and I always practice and review how to defend our home and run different scenarios in order to be prepared. As for kids, we don't have any yet, but one thing you said that really got my attention. Giving the kids code words once it's all safe, VERY smart move, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old September 16, 2006, 06:17 PM   #13
OuTcAsT

Quote:
Any tips on how to get them to take this more seriously?
You might start by letting them read this thread and, many others here in T&T. I have found them very enlightning.

Quote:
But, I found one thing that wasn't perfect. Not that it was wrong or even bad; just not as perfect as the rest of your performance:

Quote:
took up a position where I could cover the door from the garage from behind a large sofa

A sofa, although heavy and large, is poor cover. It's good concealment; but lacks any ability to stop incoming rounds if the situation came to that.
Agreed, however, the oreintation of the sofa was such that it put not only the sofa, but a wall between myself and the garage door, and placed me at the entrance to the hallway. In order for the intruder to fire any direct rounds at me they would first have to break down a deadbolted door, then enter my livingroom, had there been even the slightest indication that they were going to attempt that, My Bushy AR was an arms length away.

Quote:
You seem to have your act together, so I hate to mention this, but it just popped into mind...
Are the kids' positions in their rooms (their hold up position) in a good location so as they're not able to shoot each other or you through the door?
Their positions are basically both shooting due south, and they are both aware of each others position so, the chances of them firing at each other is remote.

as for firing on me, obviously they would not know my exact location, however, they have been trained only to fire if their door is being breached. By the time that happens I will be either Dead, or wish I were.

On another note, yes the LE response was stellar, after explaining my tactics to the officer he said he had a similar plan for his family.

Old September 16, 2006, 07:01 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

Very well done; kudos.
Old September 16, 2006, 07:24 PM   #15
mbs357

Quote:
Their positions are basically both shooting due south, and they are both aware of each others position so, the chances of them firing at each other is remote.

as for firing on me, obviously they would not know my exact location, however, they have been trained only to fire if their door is being breached. By the time that happens I will be either Dead, or wish I were.
Very awesome. Kudos to you and your kids. Good luck getting through to them better. =D
Old September 16, 2006, 08:04 PM   #16
U.S.SFC_RET

This is Americana
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old September 17, 2006, 08:09 AM   #17
marlboroman84

I been trying to get my roommate to figure out a good plan for our apartment for months and she always shakes her head like i'm nuts. About a week ago she got followed and manage to lose the guys in the apartment complex. When I got home from work she said she wanted to figure out a good plan for her driving and for the apartment. So One step up, but she still doesn't want to shoot. Oh well glad you and your family are safe and that you have a good plan. I guess if anybody breaks in here I'll just have to get 'em before they get down the hall to her room.
Old September 18, 2006, 01:04 PM   #18
threegun

To the question of paranoia. Most of my family looked at me as a paranoid gun nut. Then came the Luby's shooting, the rapist next door (attempted rape of my sisters neighbor), Katrina aftermath etc. I could care less what they thought about my preparedness but time and evil events have mellowed them out. Now they understand why I prepare.

Outcast, A fathers duty is to protect his family and it seems that you have that well covered.