The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 14, 2012, 11:11 AM   #51
Guv

What's a barbecue gun any how? Most stuff I cook is dead already! Everything I hunt with is walnuted and blued. Not to say something else won't do the job. It is possible to use them and take care of them.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:45 AM   #52
Lordy123

To me it's not terrible, just not my cup of tea.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:08 PM   #53
dayman

I have a ramline stock on my 336, and it doesn't bother me. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the m4 style stock.

I guess adjustable length of pull could be nice, but since I"m the only one that shoots my guns it's never been an issue.

As far as why someone would want a tactical lever gun I do get it.
Lever guns are very reliable, simple, and easy to maintain. Same goes for plastic stocks and painted hardware. If I were going to have a gun for the post apocalyptic wasteland that might be it.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:24 PM   #54
Strafer Gott

Experience with black guns is something I gained many years ago, along with quite a few others on this board. It's best not to talk experience or the lack there of with people you don't know. Thank you, have a nice day.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:33 PM   #55
coyota1

Quote:
No doubt this rifle is designed for people who play harder than old pharts.
Quote:
You guys with the grain and lacquer, are you hunters or posers?
Is it best to talk this way with people you don't know???
Old December 14, 2012, 01:54 PM   #56
Strafer Gott

Your friends will argue with you, even about guns. If I allow others to change my opinions with their arguments, is turnabout not fair play.
Out of fairness, I bought a glock. Out of fairness, I bought a mini 14, even though I swore I wouldn't after my first experience. So yes, I guess I do lack a certain politesse, courtesy, and taste. Are you going to lay my soul to waste?
HaHa.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #57
tahunua001

alright I am neither for or against the gun discussed

but I feel obligated to respond to this post.

Quote:
No doubt this rifle is designed for people who play harder than old pharts.
what exactly do you mean by this? if you mean that it is a toy with little practical application other than blasting paper bad guys into oblivion then yes it is better at play.

Quote:
I mean, do you take your barbecue gun hawgin'?
What in God's green earth is a barbecue gun? I have never heard of one of these?
Quote:
Runnin' and gunnin' with a .30-.30 sounds like deer season to me.
I don't know exactly where you are from but please remind me to never go there during open season. running and gunning is a video game fantasy. running and gunning is retarded for lack of a better word. nobody in the history of firearms has ever "runned and gunned" advancing fire is totally different and is still considered to be far less accurate than feet planted no matter what the "Marines" on COD Blackops II tell you over a quick game of team deathmatch. running and gunning has no place in proper hunting and anyone that has ever tried it should have their hunting privileges revoked for a couple years and forced to take remedial hunters ed.

Quote:
Black guns are for people who need it as a gun, not a work of art. Black guns are for those who are focused on the pursuit, not on the esthetic appeal of what's filling their hand.
on the contrary, black guns are an aesthetic pursuit all in themselves. a guy choosing to put a railed synthetic black stock on an SKS is no less guilty of aesthetically altering a gun to fit his tastes as a man that dresses his SKS in a laminated thumbhole stock. he is simply altering the gun to meet his needs and dislikes. I have never put a part on a gun that I did not like the look of to increase utility and I find it hard to believe that there are many gun enthuisiasts out there that would.
Quote:
Are you a hunter or a fashion model? All the tacticool bashers love to call anyone with a black gun a mall ninja.
I label lots of people as mall ninjas because there 90% of the guys that insist on "tactical" firearms have never and have a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of ever being in a situation that requires such a weapon and of them I would be willing to wager that less than 1% of those that will see such a scenario will have that tactical weapon with them at the time. it's all well and good to have a gun to fit such a scenario but when every gun you own has an M4 stock and rails including your lever action 30-30 and mosin nagant 91/30 then there is a serious problem with how you see the world you live in and if all of those also have a laser, flashlight, holosight(rendering the laer pointless) and forward pistol grip then you really have a problem with how you face reality.

and finally,
Quote:
You guys with the grain and lacquer, are you hunters or posers?
what exactly is the proper response to this? I don't know how someone that claims that they run and gun while out deer hunting can call the guys that prefer one well placed shot a poser or insist that their method of hunting is any more genuine or ethical than our own.

with all that said I do think that the lever action needed to be updated to compete with more modern designs. however when mossberg went with no top rail(for tactical optics if you will) and a a telescoping stock rather than skeleton side folder or just skeleton synthetic to cut down on weight, they failed to make a rifle with any more utilitarian purpose than it's walnut clad older brother.

and lastly, I would like to point out that there is no such thing as a tactical rifle. tactics is a mindset, not a tool set. I can tactically wipe my @$$ but there is no such thing as tactical toilet paper(and if anyone brings up CMMG or camo TP I will Lose it).
Old December 14, 2012, 02:36 PM   #58
Guv

^^^^ Thank you tahunua001! Seems like the people who accuse others of intolerance and being of narrow mind are the worst offenders in this regard.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:59 PM   #59
Strafer Gott

There is no such thing as a tactical firearm, but there are black guns. Black toilet paper i can't speak to.
Retarded means slowed down. Only Ann Coulter uses it in any other sense.
To save time and effort, barbecue guns are esthetically enhanced guns or rigs worn to barbecues. Careful with the ridicule on this one as barbecue guns are near and dear to many in this community.
I know that some people have never experienced a really hard hunt, like hawgs with dawgs fifteen minutes before dawn, with nothing to climb but an old two wire fence to get out of reach of those tusks It's a little different than european style stand hunting while wearing a suit.
Play is sport. There are only two, hunting and mountain climbing. Used as a figure of speech, in this case some people hunt harder than olde pharts.
How many times can tactical be used in the same instance as making your toilet, I guess you have taken the popularization of this phrase as a personal goal. Isn't a cathole latrine a tactic after all.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #60
Iron Man

Hmmm, seems like a ligit hunting firearm to me. Nothing to scratch, no reflective surfaces, but a perfect tool to put deer on the table.

You can be a romantic, but it looks like the right tool for the right job. To me it's about the functionality and the caliber. the .30-30 has put more deer on the kitchen table than any other round, and lever action rifles make great deer guns.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:53 PM   #61
CajunBass

I don't want one, but I sure don't care if someone else does. It doesn't cost me anything. I will give them credit for thinking outside the box.

One of two things will happen. Either they'll sell a lot of them, or they won't. If they do they'll make more. If they don't, they'll stop making them.

Either one is ok with me.

I think AR's, AK'S, Glocks and XD's are ugly too, but a lot of people don't seem to agree with me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 14, 2012, 03:55 PM   #62
jmfc606

If you think the plain model is ugly they just came out with a ZOMBIE model! No BS it's real. I just saw it in one of the wholesalers flyers where I work part time. It's black and lime green! YUK.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:09 AM   #63
BfloBill

I am surprised how agressively some people defended their right to have an opinion, while basically telling me to keep mine to myself. Hypocrites!

For those who agree, the main reason I posted (and you can tell I was right by the % of people that agreed) is that most lever gun lovers are traditionalists. Yes, I own a Glock and it is what I carry every day, but my next gun is going to be a S&W .44 or a 1911 .45, Why? Because you can like a gun for it's usefulness, but still appreciate a classic. This gun, hovever, is ugly and does nothing that its predecessors couldn't do.

But, hey, what do I know. I'm just the moron who is taking the scope off my deer rifle and putting peeps back on because the scope just ruins the classic look. (It also takes away from how well it handles in the woods.)

For those who were asking here is a good thread on BBQ guns:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=barbecue+gun
Old December 15, 2012, 10:48 AM   #64
Guv

Wow that wasn't very nice! I always wondered if there was another use for the sling.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:41 AM   #65
BfloBill

Guv - Judging from your posts that shot I took was not meant for you, or any of the posters who agreed with me, or anyone who disagreed but had some tact. If you read through the thread there were a few shots taken at me just for having an opinion and that's who the barb was intended for. In the future I'll just ignore the comments and take the high road.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:31 PM   #66
Guv

No offense taken as far as I'm concerned, sorry you misunderstood my point, no worries! That high road can be a real bugger to take sometimes.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:18 PM   #67
Guv

I will say this about any 30-30 lever gun, it would be a fearsome defensive weapon with Federal 125gr JHP's!
Old December 15, 2012, 08:24 PM   #68
PatientWolf

Wait a minute, Guv...I thought this string was about whether the rifle was pretty. If you want to discuss functionality, maybe it should be in a different thread.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:36 PM   #69
tahunua001

Quote:
Wait a minute, Guv...I thought this string was about whether the rifle was pretty. If you want to discuss functionality, maybe it should be in a different thread.
I do find this quite funny as I have never once seen a person with an actual range report for one of these and nobody ever steers the conversation away from overall appearance and towards actual functionality, I have half a mind to buy one of these just to actually see how it actually behaves.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #70
coyota1

No reason why it shouldn't function almost a good as a woody.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:45 PM   #71
Super Sneaky Steve

I've often said we need a tactical single action revolver. Give me night sights and make it out of a light alloy. I'd buy one.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:47 PM   #72
Prof Young

Really strange

Shooters:
This is a very strange looking gun, but hey some people really like different. Don't know that I'd go out an buy one.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 16, 2012, 03:43 PM   #73
terzmo

offend Me???? depends on which end of the barrel I'm facing
Old December 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #74
GaryH

I like lever guns. I wouldn't buy one of those, but I have no problem with anyone that wants one.

One thing for sure, slapping a scope on it won't detract from it's looks.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:55 PM   #75
dgludwig

Quote:
One thing for sure, slapping a scope on it won't detract from it's looks.
That's right-no need to put a receiver sight on it to make it "look" right and to preserve the handling qualities of a lever-action carbine. Looks to be the perfect candidate for a scope-sighted lever-action rifle. Ugh!