The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2009, 12:25 PM   #26
lipadj46

Quote:
Gonna be mighty tuff to surpass even a Maverick 88 in my hands on deer
Like I said above, lightweight, light recoil, short overall length (converted), very fast handling great for in a blind or up in a treestand or stalking around. It will make 3" slugs feel like 2 3/4" shells. Mounting a scope via the sidemount is a no brainer and with the quick release it comes off in seconds. Military finish and chrome lining makes it more or less maintenance free especially when using magnum loads. I bought it as a fun toy and did not expect to use it so much for hunting.

Not sure what else you are looking for but I suspect I am wasting my time responding. But that is OK I have formed my opinions from my own experiences with different shotguns that cannot be said by some who just don't like a shotgun if it is not one of the old standbys in blued steel and walnut. I have those shotguns too.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:33 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Lipadj46:
I thought about buying one of these 6 months ago and had the 'will I be using this for hunting' concern also. Everything I brought up is something someone should look at if they want to buy one for hunting use along with whatever. It is really irrelevant if the mags are legal in Ohio as the OP probably isn't in Ohio. No one in this thread cares what Ohio laws are. He needs to look into his state specifically. Hell I even started my post by saying I was summarizing others comments in previous threads.

Yes you can buy a thread on Polychoke for $90(+shipping and I saw them for $100). As far as "all you will ever need," probably right. As far as what you are ever going to WANT maybe not. Good luck if that polychoke has a bad pattern. I guess you can lay down $90 for a new one and see if it has a good pattern. Maybe polychokes never have holes in them. I have spent about $40 on chokes and got one with a pattern I did not like(hole) and simply replaced it. I can use these chokes in the two shotguns I own and a third I owned for a short time. The pump I am going to buy will use them also. Way better than spending $360 (my rough estimate more like 440 unless I bought them all at once) on polychokes. I was planning to get a polychoke when I was looking at Browning A5s for my first gun. Looked like a decent system, I just lucked into buying a bunch of guns that use Remington chokes. There are also aftermarket chokes that use the Remington thread if I ever want to get fancy.

Westy: As I look into the polychoke/Saiga combo there also seem to be some claims than the barrel is not always concentric and that some of the polychokes throw the pattern way off b/c of it. You may want to LOOK INTO THAT before you buy the gun intending to get a polychoke or other screw on choke. It does not seem to be that common, but if you go with the system and have problems start looking there for the answer.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:33 PM   #28
westy

Thanks everyone for all the info, I should have made it clearer in my posting but I am going to buy a saiga to add to my ak collection. Also I have normal hunting guns. I am just not certain of the barrel length or model I should look for. My local shop has the 18" model but I am wondering how much better the longer barrel would be for bird hunting. I understand there are certain guns designed for each type of hunting but for me the saiga 12 at any length should be a fine hog gun. I am not sure if it is this way every where but here in Texas we have no laws on hog hunting and it is common for people to use ak's-ar's-sks's,with 30rd mags so the high capacity is not a problem. I know nothing about bird hunting tho and just wanted some info on how much if any the longer barrel on a saiga 12 would help the gun for bird hunting.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:08 PM   #29
lipadj46

Quote:
Westy: As I look into the polychoke/Saiga combo there also seem to be some claims than the barrel is not always concentric and that some of the polychokes throw the pattern way off b/c of it.
That would be covered under warranty and can be a problem with any shotgun. RAA actually is a great company and will stand behind their product 100%. Cadiz Gun Works in Ohio does the warranty work and Tom Cole is a great gunsmith.

Quote:
Yes you can buy a thread on Polychoke for $90(+shipping and I saw them for $100). As far as "all you will ever need," probably right. As far as what you are ever going to WANT maybe not. Good luck if that polychoke has a bad pattern.
There are 2 versions one has a compensator built in that one is $100. I like the cheaper one. They are good chokes none the less and pattern well as all polychokes do.

Quote:
It is really irrelevant if the mags are legal in Ohio as the OP probably isn't in Ohio.
I doubt there are many places that ban hunting with a shotgun with a removable mag just because there really are not that many out there that have a removable mag. I can count them on one hand. I would not be surprised if there is a couple places where it is banned but I bet the number is low. I actually am looking now at each state's regulations so I know for sure because this point is brought up a lot and usually is proven to be untrue.

Quote:
My local shop has the 18" model but I am wondering how much better the longer barrel would be for bird hunting
It is a 19" barrel and if you get the 24" model just know it does not come with the side scope mount if that is an issue for you. I would suggest you go to forum.saiga-12.com for al things Saiga. The main problem with bird hunting with a Saiga is the really short sight base and the sights are on the gas cylinder which puts the about 1.5" above bore. You can put a better sight with a front sight on the end of the barrel but the ones out there are ghost ring sights. In Europe they have many more sporting Saiga models available but they are not available here.

Last edited by lipadj46; May 14, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 03:12 PM   #30
squeak003

The most common stock models that are available in US:

Barrel Length / Barrel Type / Choke / Sights Type

24" bbl / Non-treaded / Fixed, Full / Fixed
22" bbl / Non-treaded / Fixed, Full / Fixed
22" bbl / Threaded / 3 chokes / Fixed
19" bbl / Non-treaded / Fixed, IC / Fixed
19" bbl / Non-treaded / Fixed, Full / Adjustable
19" bbl / Threaded / 1 choke / Adjustable
Old October 6, 2009, 11:40 PM   #31
Saiga 12

Saiga 12 Good for winged hunting Dove, Quail, ect.

I have to speak up for the Saiga 12 on this thread, I am a fairly new owner of my Saiga 12 having bought it less than 6 months ago, However I have had a Mossberg 500 turkey pump for years. My Mossberg 500 Pump cannot even compare with the Saiga 12, for moving air targets, because of it's Gas Operation, and fast cycling rate. And My Saiga 12 is super accurate even though I use it's factory short sight radius. My first time shooting skeet with it, I showed up, along with 13 other dudes, most bringing more than one Shotgun, Several Remington Auto's, Mossberg Auto's, and an Ithaca. None could hang with my Saiga 12, It was my first time shooting the Saiga 12 for accuracy at a moving target in the air, and I hardly ever missed using the stock short radius sights. All the other guys were blown away, at it's accuracy and speed of shooting, We shot so much skeet, that two American shotguns broke down that day, My Saiga 12 ran flawlessly. I would put it up against any American shotgun for winged game hunting anyday. I just need to learn the laws of my state for mag capacity ect, before I hunt with it. But I own several firearms, and so far the Saiga 12 has been the funnest, most rounded all purpose, of all that I have purchased. And the Saiga 12 does not leave welps on my shoulder after firing 175-200 rounds of bird load...
Old October 7, 2009, 12:28 AM   #32
jmorris

I have a saiga 12 but the lowest capacity magazines I have for it are 5 round mags so I couldn’t use it for migratory birds even if I wanted to, not that I’ve ever wanted to. Then again I also wouldn’t use an over under at a 3 gun match either.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:14 AM   #33
riggins_83

Long as you're good with local laws I'd say it's fine. I won't pretend to know laws in any state other than my own..

Be sure there's nothing disallowing the use of a semi automatic and be sure you're away of capacity restrictions. Having a 5 round magazine even if you just have 3 shells in the mag is still a violation.

I'd personally rather hunt with a pump Mossberg or Remington.. again that's personal preference.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:35 AM   #34
jaymce

Not for nothing but it would seem that you can change out mags fairly quickly with some practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpMvj-v3_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIk7j...rom=PL&index=8

I can not see the problem with using a Siaga 12 for hunting as long as you can hit what you are aiming at. Is the Saiga the right choice for everyone, no.

Given the OPs original post and intentions for the gun it would seem like a good fit. At the trap field with a red dot I can often hit in the low 20s with the Saiga (which I rarely shoot). With my sporting gun I hit in the high teens (shot about 50-75 rounds a week). #s drop off considerably when going from trap to sporting clays but I have not tried the Saiga at 5 stand yet. May have to do that this week.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:05 AM   #35
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You can likely modify a 5 round mag with a "plug" under the spring to hold only 2 shells so you are legal to hunt migratory fowl.
Brent
Old October 7, 2009, 09:18 AM   #36
Technosavant

There's two shell magazines out there.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:12 AM   #37
vanman1

I purchased a Saiga 12 from the forum. It has been converted and it has a polychoke. Also has a 24" barrel. I love it. Shooting clay's with it is great. Plus everybody likes watching an "AK" breaking clays. As far as hunting, and your buying anyway, give it a shot and see if it works for you.