The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 8, 2009, 01:34 PM   #1
bryceh12321

Mil-Dot Master

I am debating between getting a Super Sniper 10x42 and a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. Here is my question. Will I still be able to use the Mil Dot Master tool if I choose to go with the Bushnell? Will the Mil Dot Master work at any magnification? Or what magnifications will it work at? Thanks.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Jimro

The bushnell is not a first focal plane reticle, that means it only measures "true" at 12x (pretty sure it's 12x anyways).

That means if you range at 6x you have to double your calculated distance, and if you range at 24x you have to half your calculated distance. Simple enough to do.

Either scope is a good choice, but if you aren't going to hunt then I recommend the SuperSniper.

Jimro
Old February 8, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
T.A.Sharps

To your mildot question, they will work in variable power, its just that you need to know the power they are set for.

I own the Super Sniper, and I regret it. 3 strikes rule. There were two short comings that i read about before I got it, mushy clicks and low light level contrast. I'm not a Benchrest shooter, so they didn't mater too much for the price.

My clicks mush between the 1/4 increments and do not give an very audible "click". Not concerned about the lower contrast, I'm not good enough to notice. The lack of a sunshade bothered me though.

Strike 3 was when I got my rifle out to clean and the "ring" around the parallax adjustment nob that the scale for magnification came loose, and now freely rotates around the nob.

I do not mean the 3 screws to loosen the nob to 0 your parallax, but the ring the scale is printed/etched on itself. I'm not sure why this ring exists there to be broken anyway, I figured it was just printed on the nob itself.

This does not seem like a very demanding part of the scope system, and the fact that it has a short coming like this makes me wonder about the rest of the scope.
I do not have it mounted on a Barrett 50, its on a 308, with less than 100 rounds through it yet. So extreme recoil is not the culprit here.

There are other options out there for the same price that are good scopes. Here is a link to reviews.

http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm
Old February 8, 2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Jimro

I'm pretty sure that counts as a defect in manufacture and SWFA should fix the problem.

Jimro
Old February 8, 2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Gewehr98

I'm curious, too.

Those scopes have received good reviews in the past.

What did customer service tell you about your particular scope, when you called them?

I know S.W.F.A. would have done right, in a New York Minute.

Neural Misfires

Tags
dot , master , mil , scope