The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Fox1

Questions about recording data.

Hello all, I'm brand new here and a wee bit new to reloading.

I've been wanting to start reloading for a little while and finally got going when a friend gave me a press and powder measure to get me started.

The press I'm using is a Texan single stage. Yes, I said a Texan and it is rock solid.
Here's a picture of the bench I built and you can see the press as well.

I'm using Hornaday dies and I am really happy with them as well.

The one thing I'm not sure of is how do most people label their boxes of reloads or handloads?

For now, I'm just writing everything down on an address label and sticking it to the box in this format:

9/26/2008
9mm COL 1.100"
115 gr Magtech FMC
4.2 gr Bullseye
Pr. FED Case R-P

I've seen other members list their recipes here and I couldn't understand the shorthand at all.

Is there a commonly accepted style or method for recording all of this data on each batch of cartridges or is it just up to each person on how they like to record it?
Old September 27, 2008, 01:47 AM   #2
fbrown333@suddenlink

recording

Looks like you have a good start. Just make sure you can understand it. when you have a load sitting around for a couple years sometimes you forget what you wrote and can't read it . keeping track of all the componants used in a load is very important if you ever want to duplicate it at a later time and so no mistakes are made cause that could be verybad if not fatal
Old September 27, 2008, 04:58 AM   #3
closetgunnut

Welcome!

I made a load data/check-off sheet using MS Word. I can try and PM it to you if you want.

Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old September 27, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Fox1

Checkoff Sheet

That would be great!
I know enough to keep records as detailed as I can make them, but I'd like to follow an established standard so that others can understand what is on the box.

Thanks!
Old September 27, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
zippy13

Fox1
Welcome to the world of reloading, may your journey be enjoyable and rewarding.

I strongly recommend you keep a reloading log book. A simple reference number on a shell box will take you to your log box reference data.
If you want labels on your boxes, I've used home computer generated labels for years. Sticky-backs on the outside of opaque boxes, and plain paper on the inside of transparent ones.
Quote:
I made a load data/check-off sheet using MS Word.
Yes, computer generated fill-in forms are a great aid to maintaining your reloading data.
A word of caution here... I've been bit in the butt more than once: For many of my old professional files, I'd include a data dump on floppies before committing the file to the archives. At the time, I didn't occur to me that (1) if the time came time to retrieve the data, there wouldn't be any floppy readers available, and (2) the contemporary versions of MS Word may not recognize data from the MS Word of 25+ years ago.
Old September 27, 2008, 01:34 PM   #6
CPTMurdoc30

I used word to creat Business card sized documents that account for all the major data I use. If you want the template just PM me and let me know what version of office you have. Here is what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
(2) the contemporary versions of MS Word may not recognize data from the MS Word of 25+ years ago.
Microsoft Office 2007 will open a file created in any version of Microsoft word out there. It will also open word perfect files as well as others.

Caliber:___________________________
Bullet:________________ Bullet Weight:__________
Powder:_________________ Primer:__________________ Case:___________________________
OAL:__________________________
Date Loaded:_________________
Amount loaded:________ Velocity:________________________
Group Size:__________________________________
Weather:____________________________________
Old September 27, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Fox1

Thanks everyone for all the good advice and offers!

zippy13 - I forgot to mention, I do keep a log book. I just use one of those cash books from Wal-Marx and pencil in my entries. I'm logging the cost of factory rounds, cost of components I purchase, loads I make and then beside those loads, the results experienced when firing them. The reason I'm keeping track of prices is so that I can see how much it costs me, per round, when I purchase factory and how much (approx.) per round when I load them. I haven't found a way to calculate powder yet.

As far as any tables anyone would like to send me, almost any format is fine.
I'm an IT guy so I have every version of MS Office and Open Office available to me.

Thanks again everyone for all the guidance!
Old September 28, 2008, 10:17 PM   #8
PCJim

Fox1, looks like you're already doing it right - label in the box of ammo and a separate reloading logbook. I do the same and also keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my reload batches, crossreferenced back to the manual logbook.

Here's a link to an excellent Access based program providing all kinds of reloading information, manuals and the capability to keep your own inventory and reloads. I came across this several months ago and have referred many fellow reloaders to it.

http://http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/