The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 2, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
mitchell koster

Big Pig!!

I thought i would share this photo with you all a picture of a big pig shot in the NT of Australia. Currently there are over 23 million feral pigs in Australia so we need YOUR help to shoot them all. This is my show and tell for the day.

Its in this link sorry. Photo wouldn't come up.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/giant-feral-pig.html

MK
Old June 2, 2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Huntress

Nice
Old June 2, 2010, 07:42 PM   #3

What.......

A dog eat'in pig???? Where is Hogdogs? He's not going to like this.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Buzzcook

Nice piggy. The picture has been posted here before. Good to know it isn't a fake.

I've seen domestic hogs that size. Sure would hate to run into one in the wild without serious fire power.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Big pig, OLD story, and likely not a feral hog as claimed, but an escaped domestic based on the ear notching.
Old June 3, 2010, 12:41 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well notched ears and cut tails aren't a true sign of domestics as many doggers notch pigs they opt to let grow (mainly boars they cut the nuts out making them a "barr" or barrow to fatten up) once caught.

Some will be just ornery hunters and cut the tail so the human loses one handle option and the truly mean will "slick ear" (cut the ears slap off to make it tuff and/or dangerous for the catch dogs) and release...

But a hog of that size that is truly feral is feeding on domestic livestock sources as even a timed deer feeder don't spray the corn needed to grow to that size.

Some of the bigger hogs in the wods eat crops, cattle feed, deer corn from feeders and the SWEET FEED in horse farms... Them are a big pig... I have friends that have bayed hogs in the horse barn areas at feed "bins"... One had a dog get the snot booted out of her by a horse as well.

Brent
Old June 4, 2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Honda4me

THAT HOG IS HUGE. Any idea what that hog weighed? Never thought they could ever reach that size.
Old June 5, 2010, 05:41 AM   #8
Wisent

to MK

Hello Mitchell,

thanks for the link. The image will prove the possible weight of a pig to a freind of mine ( non hunter), woho would'nt believe that in Gerrmany we have pigs weighing about 200 kg.
If he sees this Australian one, I hope he will believe that this is not what we in Germany call "Jägerlatein" ( cock- and- bull-stories).
I know that our hogshere in Germany are rather agressive and - if wounded - do not hesitate to charge a hunter and/or the dogs.
Is the same true for Australian pigs ?
I can very well imagine, but to know is always better than to imagine.
Thanks a lot, have a nice weekend and always good shooting.
Best repects from Germany

Wisent
" to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth !"
Old June 5, 2010, 05:51 AM   #9
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.

Quote:
I know that our hogshere in Germany are rather agressive and - if wounded - do not hesitate to charge a hunter and/or the dogs.
Is the same true for Australian pigs ?
I had to put a second .270 130gr PSP into a large sow that didn't want to play dead. It gets the heart pumping when they are only a few meters away before they fall in a heap.
Old June 5, 2010, 07:04 AM   #10
thallub

Quote:

i live in SW Oklahoma. Last year i killed over 40 wild hogs. About 15 years ago a rich Okie imported 100 pairs of German boars from a game farm in Germany. He turned them loose in this area. Now there are wild black hogs running all over the place: Some of them have the appearance of pure blood German boars. Some are crossed with feral hogs. All of them can be very mean.

i've been charged by wild hogs three times. First one was a 250+ pound boar a friend wounded: The guy who wounded that hog had hunted boars in Germany and he told me not to approach the wounded animal. Either i did not hear him or i ignored his warning. The hog jumped up and came after me. Just stood there like a duimb butt and shot that hog as it charged. The head looked as big as the end of a 55 gallon drum in my 4x scope when my .50 muzzleloader cracked and the hog fell dead. My friend said that that hog was a German boar.

Second one was a big sow that came after me when i got between her and her pigs. Third time was a 200 pound boar that answered the distress call of a sow that i wounded. Yep, wild hogs have a distress call that brings the hog cavalry.

A friend of mine was knocked down by a big sow that he never saw until it hit him. The man carrys a .45 on his leg when hog hunting. That sow turn
ed and came back and my friend killed it with his .45.

This GA (US) man was badly injured by a hog that he wounded:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2081

Last edited by thallub; June 5, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old June 5, 2010, 07:53 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
This GA (US) man was badly injured by a hog that he wounded:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2081
Ironic title...
Quote:
Hog Attack!
This Jefferson County hog hunter lost 3 pints of blood after a boar repeatedly gored him with 4-inch tusks.
They call it a hot attack despite the fact that the hog is clearly acting in self defense. The guy shot it once and did a poor job of it, tried shooting it again and the hog put him on his butt. Go figure.

While some "hog attacks" do not appear to be instigated by the humans, most do and are frequently associated with the hogs acting defensively. Humans say they were "attacked" to justify poor shooting and/or poor tactics.
Old June 5, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Bigjfb

Thats not a pig......

This here's a pig
Old June 9, 2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Wisent

hunters "under hogs' attack"

Hello everybody and thank you for your infromation; since i have experienced similar situations during the last 36 years, t h a t is why I and many othe hunters in Germany carry a lagre caliber handgun when going after hogs.
By the way: As a lad of fifteen I first was charged by a 60kg hog severely wounded by my father's first rifle shot. The black one could not use its rear legs anymore but - believe me - was very fast though. My job was to hold the dog t its leash and of course I did not have any gun.
This all went on in kind of thick brush and I was happy to hear my dad let go one round off his pistol, a 9mm luger.
The gun jammed - and that is the reason why I am so fond of revolvers; they are much more reliable when the chips are down.
Always good shooting
Waidmannsheil
Best regards from Germany

Wisent
" to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth !"