The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2005, 01:17 AM   #51
carebear

Thank you Col.

Agree or disagree, I hate to see people be misunderstood/misrepresented.

Kinda obscures the topic you're disagreeing about.
Old August 4, 2005, 01:13 PM   #52
progunner1957

Quote:
I'd patch up the holes and keep quiet.
I agree. If anyone had been hit by the stray bullet, there would've been police & an ambulance at the scene that night; if there had been a fatality, you woul have heard about it by now.

I would patch the holes inside & out - making ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you don't get caught at it when doing the outside hole and thus have to explain why you are doing that - and "let sleeping dogs lie."

Also, I think you should get some competent, professional firearms instruction, and get some 125g. magnum HPs (CorBon, Hornady XTP, Golden Sabre, Federal EFMJ, HydraShok, etc.) to use for defensive purposes.

And thank your lucky stars no one was hurt or killed; you sure as h*ll don't want to have to answer for that!!
Old August 4, 2005, 01:53 PM   #53
CajunBass

I had a S/D (Stupid Discharge) once year ago with a Colt 1911. Not the guns fault at all, it was mine. No one hurt, and nothing but a bookcase damaged, but like this incident, the other people in the house heard nothing. Neither did I really, bur I attributed that to shock/surprise when the gun went off.

My wife's uncle who had stopped by the house was in the next room in visual contact with me, and he said he thought I had "popped" a primer reloading. My wife and my mother in law, neither one heard it.

Needless to say, I'm VERY careful now.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 5, 2005, 07:11 AM   #54
foghornl

Consider that as your "5-gallon bucket of ice water dumped on the blankets" wake-up call. Minor property damage, no human injury. (OK, Pride & Ego took some hits, but better them than flesh).

Not something I admit very often, but I USED TO sleep with my .44Mag Super Blackhwak under my pillow...I lived in a rough apartment complex..Police were there 5 or 6 nights a week.

One morning, I was making up the bed, and I moved the pillow...THE REVOLVER WAS COCKED
Old August 5, 2005, 07:41 AM   #55
Stiletto

Damn, foghorn...

Is there any good reason for stowing a gun under your pillow, or is that strictly for the movies?
Old August 5, 2005, 08:36 AM   #56
John Ringo

Be careful.

Some guys I encountered when I was going to school back in Ohio made a shooting range in their basement. They shot the entire wall full of holes with .22 ammo. Don't ask me why, but they did. The landlord wasn't happy with them. Their parents probably ended-up rebuilding a wall.

The landlord wasn't happy. I have a big old .44 Magnum revolver. Dirty Harry:-) Always unload those bad boys before messing around with them. I am sure you learned your lesson.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old August 5, 2005, 10:56 PM   #57
Nnobby45

Quote:
this time when I cocked the hammer and placed my finger on the trigger, in my tired state I fired the weapon.

You know, on a site that should be full of knowledgeable firearms people it's absolutely incredible that only a couple of people questioned cocking a DA revolver in the first place, and not before a dozen or so posts that ignored such irresponsible safety violations as cocking with finger on trigger.

Except for very rare special circumstances: YOU DO NOT EVER COCK A DA REVOLVER IN A SELF DEFENSE SITUATION!!!
Old August 5, 2005, 11:18 PM   #58
KP345PR

Practicing real world scenarios like you did is an absolutely vital part of a practical home defense. Repeating motions and situations will cause your body to react in habit if you are ever put in the scenario. I practice drills throughout my house, as does my wife.

I would highly recommend purchasing some snap caps, though. In all of our weapons, we have magazines that are spraypainted bright green and are double checked to be loaded only with snap caps before starting drills. All magazines with live ammo are unloaded, and placed in a safe until the drills are over, at which point they are reloaded and placed back into the gun.

Just some tips on how to stay safe. Lucky everything went okay!

EDIT: By the way, a holstering suggestion as opposed to under your pillow:
I simply drilled a holster into my headboard, on the side, at an angle. I sleep on my side or stomach, where my weak hand is never more than a few inches away from the gun. This just makes me feel a bit safer than accidentally knocking the gun off the bed or sleep movements setting the gun off.
Old August 5, 2005, 11:30 PM   #59
chris in va

That's a really good idea about the holster. I may do that.