The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 09:05 PM   #1
memtb

Light-Loads for 460 S&W

Does anyone have a light-load that you care to share. I'll be using a 300 gr. cast,and want something in the neighborhood of 1000 fps? Unique would be preferred ( tho not mandatory) as I have quite a bit. Also, thinking "out of the box" what are your thoughts with same bullet over a full case of 50 BMG powder. I know that it would be very inefficient, but I have more than "quite a bit" of that!!! Thanks, memtb
Old January 20, 2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Sevens

I can't believe that nobody has just taken the easy route and said, "Light load for .460 S&W?! Yeah, it's called .45 Colt! " I mean, c'mon, ya got to see that one coming.

If using Unique, I'd suggest you send an e-mail to Ben Amonette at ATK. He's the guy that answers technical assistance questions regarding Alliant powders and he may have some suggestions.

I don't think he'll endorse you attempting to use pulldown powder from .50 BMG rounds. I don't think it will work worth a darn...but that powder must be outrageously slow burning and I don't believe it would be possible to build an over-pressure round with that powder in .460 S&W.

So if you attempt it, your biggest risk is going to be with a stuck bullet. Definitely use a lead bullet as that'll be easier to whack back down the bore if it doesn't end well. And ensure that every trigger pull gives you a hole in paper - if you fire one behind another that's stuck, you'll likely wreck that revolver.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:37 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Trailboss. Go here.......Trailboss reduced loads
Old January 20, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
codefour

Alliant has some reduced power loads using Power Pistol. It is listed an the Alliant Powder website. I amn not a fan of trail boss. It is only a 9 ounce can IIRC.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Gdawgs

Trail Boss is awesome for reduced loads. Yes it only comes in a 9 ounce can because that's all they can stuff in there due to its low bulk density. But they don't charge as much for a bottle as they do other powders, although ounce per ounce, it's still a bit costlier. But you use much less of it. As an example, I use about 14-15 grains in my 460, where full house loads take anywhere from 45-50, depending on the powder.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Try about 10 to 12 grains of Unique.

Red Dot (about 10 grains) might be a better choice.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:45 PM   #7
mxsailor803

Trail boss for me in a .44mag for practice. Personally I would use reload specs for the 45lc at slower fps and call it good.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:25 PM   #8
memtb

Thanks to all for your responses, it gives me something to work with. Sevens,thought about the 45LC route, but wanted to minimize cylinder fouling. I have used the 50 BMG powder for fireforming brass in my .375 AI by filling the case and seating a 270 gr. Hornady. Pretty wastefull with the price of the Hornady's, with lots of unburned powder. But, the upside is (when I do my part) a 5 shot group is one big ragged hole with velocities in the mid 1800's. It makes for good practice rounds that are very pleasant in a sub 9# rifle!! memtb
Old January 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I'd be carefull with the large case capacity, & less of a charge... ( you don't want a detonation / back fire ) which I believe can happen with so much air space in a case, that the fire from the primer can go past the charge, often dislodge the bullet, then burn the powder charge from the case mouth backwards... from my understanding, this can be particularly bad with double based powders... I can understand you're concerns with the "1/2 cans" of Trailboss, but you will not believe how well it works for taming down those huge cartridges...

I use it alot...

... I also don't think you'll be happy with Unique at those levels, you'll get a very dirty shooting cartridge, unless you are crimping so heavily that you greatly reduce your case life...

I have a couple guns that allow me 3 cartridge options ( like your 460 ) mine are a Dan Wesson 357 Maximum, & a S&W 610 that's been chambered in 10 mm Magnum ( shoots 40 S&W, 10mm, & 10mm Magnum with moon clips ) I'm also hesitant to shoot the shorter cartridges much, to avoid the carbon ring thing... Trailboss in the long cases, burns cleanly, is reasonably accurate, & can recoil less that normal loads of the shortest cases...
Old December 4, 2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Ironworker

Ok Trail Boss its is . What primer

Ok I'll start loading Trail Boss for light charges in my 460. What primer ? I don't need Large rifle Magnum do I ?
Old December 5, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Mr.RevolverGuy

2400 has some light loads as well.