The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 19, 2012, 02:47 AM   #76
Metal god

Hey Whats up , I was wondering if you bought your AR yet ?

As for sights and the EoTech vs the Acog . They are really two different sights. The EoTeck is a red-dot and the Acog is a fixed powered scope . I have used alot of red-dots and scopes but never the Acog . The acog is a little out of my price range .

Now this is generally speaking , the red-dot is good to about 1 to 2 hundred yards and a Acog is a scope so it should be good to the max effective distance of an AR about 3 to 5 hundred yards . ( thats assuming the acog is what I consider the most comon 3 to 4 x zoom ) I've seen 1.5 X up to 6 X zooms on the Acog . I love my red-dots . I am pretty accurate out to about 100 yards ( 2-2 1/2 MOA ) . I have a friend that's in the Marines and he absolutely loves his Acog . I think they are both high quality sights and you would not be wrong to buy either one .

I do think it still goes back to the purpose of the gun and what type of shooting your going to be doing . Now here's the deal , you can get a EoTech red-dot and the separate magnifier for right around the same cost as the Acog . If I had a thousand plus dollars to spend I would get the red-dot with the magnifier . That way I have the best of both worlds . Close range quick target acuisition with the red-dot but still have the ability to put the magnifier on and reach out a bit farther .
Old September 19, 2012, 03:50 AM   #77
Justice06RR

+1 on the Eotech. For CQB and distances under 100yards it is hard to beat. The field of view on an Eotech allows for quicker target acquisition and can be used with both eyes open. I am saving up for one myself!

ACOG's are great, if you can afford them. 1-4x power is what I'd go for if you choose ACOG. My last 3-gun match there was an ex-military guy using an ACOG on all the stages including one stage that had us shooting targets at 150yards. He had no problems at all hitting it at that range, while the rest of us with red dots were struggling.

The Eotech plus the magnifier would be the best of both worlds IMO. it really boils down to how you plan to use your AR, and overall preference
Old September 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #78
allaroundhunter

I have never seen a variable power ACOG?...

And to Boosted, yes if you move your head or are not at the correct length of eye relief, you will only see black through the ACOG, the Eotech however does not have that problem. I would go with the Eotech if I was in your position.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old September 19, 2012, 01:26 PM   #79
Metal god

[QUOTE I have never seen a variable power ACOG?... ][/QUOTE]

You are correct

Im not sure if you talking about my last post . sorry I meant to say 3 or 4 x zoom and in my defence I did state the Acog is a fixed powered scope .

Quote:
As for sights and the EoTech vs the Acog . They are really two different sights. The EoTeck is a red-dot and the Acog is a fixed powered scope
Old September 19, 2012, 02:19 PM   #80
allaroundhunter

Quote:
You are correct

Im not sure if you talking about my last post . sorry I meant to say 3 or 4 x zoom and in my defence I did state the Acog is a fixed powered scope .
No, I wasn't, I knew what you meant . I was addressing Justice06RR when he said:

Quote:
ACOG's are great, if you can afford them. 1-4x power is what I'd go for if you choose ACOG. My last 3-gun match there was an ex-military guy using an ACOG on all the stages including one stage that had us shooting targets at 150yards. He had no problems at all hitting it at that range, while the rest of us with red dots were struggling.
All of the ACOGs that I have seen have been a fixed power, typically 1.5x, 4x, or 6x.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:35 AM   #81
boosteddc5

Thanks for all the replies guys. If I got the acog I would get the trijicon ta31rco-m4, it's a 4x zoom. I had heard you can use the Bindon method of aiming where you have both eyes open on the scope which is why I was wondering if it was like a red dot where you can move around and be different distances from it or like a scope where you have to be in the perfect position to see so thanks allaroundhunter for clearing that up. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get the eotech and I was planning on putting the magnifier on later on down the road, just was throwing the idea of an acog around in my head. And no metalgod I haven't ordered the parts yet, still waiting to finish another project I have going on so I'll be ordering everything in a couple weeks. Now I just need to get myself some reloading equipment and find a good bullet/powder combo Thanks for all the help guys!