Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 22, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Various rankings of states concerning gun laws

This is the Brady Campaign rankings - I call it the Brady Pain Index:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...ing_system.pdf

This is the LCAV ranking:

http://www.lcav.org/Gun_Laws_Matter/...tter_Chart.pdf

I can't find rankings from the other point of view, which are the most pro-2nd Amendment or Pro-gun.

I was just thinking about this because I hear over and over how Illinois is the only state to deny it's citizens the right to carry. But, shooters and gun owners in other states seem to go through a lot more misery than we do in Illinois.
Old December 22, 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
PapaBear168

I recently moved from Illinois to Florida. I had my FOID card and had several handguns, which made me safe in my home at least. Here in Florida, I have completed a firearms safety class and within a month I will be applying for my Conceal Carry Permit. That way I can be as safe as I was in my Illinois home ALL the time.
I'll take this over Illinois' fear of Al Capone days anytime.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
spacecoast

The Legal Heat application (not free, but inexpensive) for iPhone/iPad and Android ranks states for gun friendliness (1 to 5 bullets) and provides a good bit of other information in a handy format.

http://www.mylegalheat.com/legal-heat-book.html
Old December 22, 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
MTT TL

Quote:
I can't find rankings from the other point of view, which are the most pro-2nd Amendment or Pro-gun.
There are several reasons why you won't find that.

The first reason is that these are restrictions in rights and the other side does not deal in restricting rights, only making people more free. This should be pretty obvious.

The second reason is that the Bradys were foolish in making the list to begin with. All it did was give us a list of things to work off and prevent from coming to be.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:12 PM   #5
armoredman

Arizona, proud to be a ZERO on the Brady scale!
Old December 22, 2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Don P

Quote:
But, shooters and gun owners in other states seem to go through a lot more misery than we do in Illinois.
I have to ask, can you elaborate on how the folks in FLA and other shall issue states are going through a lot more misery than say, you?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:41 PM   #7
C0untZer0

^ uh.. Florida? No.

But I think people in New Jersey and California get jerked around more, and have to put up with more nonsense than we do in Illinois.

And I would say, in some ways its better to live in Illinois than Maryland.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:54 PM   #8
SHNOMIDO

As an Illinoisan (?) ts a pet peeve of mine when people say that Illinois is the worst state in the union for firearm rights, just because we cant carry.

Dont get me wrong, i think its total crap, and a blatant violation of the second amendment...

But, we have no magazine restrictions, no firearm restrictions, no bans, no nothing. The foid system can be argued against but its not a huge deal. You dont have to register individual firearms.

I guess its kind of crappy that suppressors are banned, but were not the only ones.

All im saying is, yea, IL has a HUGE way to go, but as a firearm enthusiast, I would take IL over New york, California, New Jersey, etc etc etc.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Don P

Quote:
And I would say, in some ways its better to live in Illinois than Maryland.
Absolutely and lets throw in NJ and Cali and we can't forget DC. Things would have to be extremely bad or some other almost catastrophic event for me to leave the sunshine state.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.