The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1
ryan huddleston

S&W BG380 range roport

I bought this gun this week after alot of searching and after today I'm very glad I did. The gun feels great in the hand. The sights are awesome for a gun this size and I was actually able to shoot decent groups with it. The gun function perfectly though the 50 rounds I fed it. The one problem I an having is I can not get the take down lever to come out. I think I may have to call Smith and Wesson about this on monday . I did also fire my friends Keltec 380 and to me there was a world of difference. The keltec had alot more felt recoil and was alot harder for me to shoot. The keltec hurt when I shot it but the bodygaurd was suprisingly comfterable. Im not a huge fan of the laser but it did make quick folow up shots easy. Over all I'm happy with my purchase and it looks like I will have to buy a second one for my wife considering she grabbed it from me and stuck it in here waist band and it remained for the rest of the day.

Old March 19, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Kodyo

I was debating between this gun and the one I bought today (Bersa Thunder).
I was able to handle one before making my decision, and did not care for how small it was (I guess it's a gift and a curse). I also felt like the laser was gimmicky and probably wouldn't come in handy in an actual SD situation (seemed like bad placement). What did you think about the placement of the switch when firing?

If the gun is functioning and the take down lever won't come out, I would bet it is Operator Error. Maybe try looking up videos on how to remove it?
Old March 19, 2011, 11:24 PM   #3
ryan huddleston

The laser is crap in a defensive situation but I didnt buy the gun for the laser so it does not bother me.
Old March 19, 2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Kodyo

Agreed, at least the sights aren't the low profile kind. That's one of the reasons why I was considering it as much as I was.
Old March 19, 2011, 11:41 PM   #5
EEL92fs

The .380 Bodyguards have had problems with the take down levers coming out while shooting. When you are trying to work the lever is the slide locked open and the lever at the round notch on the slide?

This like he takes the gun down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgb_W5T8hD0&NR=1

This one you see the lever go and the slide fly off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taNZ4...eature=related

On the youtube links they have some other vids with the lever problems.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:53 AM   #6
ryan huddleston

Yes the slide lock is open. As soon as I turn the lever to the 6:00 position the slidelock disengages and the slide comes forward. I have tried holding the slide back with my hand as well.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:31 PM   #7
ryan huddleston

I just got off the phone and it Im sending it back to S&W.
Old March 21, 2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Smaug

I bet the take-down lever is just tight.

They're just going to hammer it out and oil it, and work it a bit.

I disagree that a laser is useless in a defensive situation. Even if you just decide to point & shoot, it cannot hurt to have it on, and it will sure be quicker and easier than lining up the front sight.

Nice gun.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old March 21, 2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Kodyo

I think it's useless on this gun because it's in such an inconvenient place. I would much rather just use the iron sights than try to fumble around turning on the laser on the side of the gun.
I don't think they are always useless, just in this configuration.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Usertag

Well that's good that it has a good range report and that you like it. But make sure you hold back the slide to a certain amount. It is probably fine, it is just hard to break down because you are new to the gun and the gun is new to you.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:09 PM   #11
ryan huddleston

I have tried holding it every way I can think of. The S&W rep said that they have been getting report's of this problem in some of the new SN's. I guess they had a problem with it backing out and now they have overcompensated on the newer models to fix the problem.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Orangeshadow03

Mine was pretty tough to get out at first, but after a few times working it in and out it works fine. I agree that the laser is somewhat of a pain to use, but I love the gun anyway. It just seems to fit me better than any of the other .380's I've tried.

Ruger LCR, Ruger Mark III, Ruger P90, Taurus PT740, Taurus Model 608
S&W Bodyguard .380, Enfield .303, Marlin .22
Old March 21, 2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Mosin44az

How is the trigger pull?

I have an LCP which I intend to keep as it is very reliable, but felt recoil and the long heavy trigger and tiny sights are all issues.

If the trigger is good, the BG would address them all. Not concerned about the laser. At a minimum, it is 2.5 ounces of reduced recoil, no small thing in a gun this size.
Old March 21, 2011, 11:49 PM   #14
ryan huddleston

The trigger is long and heavy but its really smooth and predictable so its easy to shoot accurately. There are two things about the trigger I dont like, 1: the break is at the end of the pull when the trigger is practically touching the frame and 2: the reset it all the way forward. I did do a side by side comparison shoot with a keltec p3at and I thought the triggers were fairly comparable, I wouldnt say one is much better than the other.The sights and ergonomics however, are way better on the bodygaurd and the felt recoil seemed to be considerably less. Im glad I picked up the bodygaurd instrade of an lcp or p3at.
Old March 21, 2011, 11:55 PM   #15
Mosin44az

Thanks. They were selling BG 380s at Sportsmans' Warehouse for 319 last weekend, but I went to the gun show first and then went there, and they told me they all sold out in an hour....

Does sound like the BG has an advantage on sights and felt recoil. I will have to try the trigger, you don't make it sound better than the LCP. I actually recall my P3AT (long gone and unlamented) having a decent pull.

The DB 380 has real sights and a double-nested recoil spring assembly which should cut recoil. It also advertises a 5 lb trigger. A Smith would be a much safer choice though, much bigger company with a great rep for customer service, though it sounds like Diamondback is trying, and working through their bugs.