The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 9, 2010, 03:14 PM   #51
James R. Burke

I am about like Abel the 06 is just fine, and will do the job. If your just looking to spend alot of time just for elk I would step it up like he suggested, but I sure dont know much about hunting elk, and it looks like you got some good input. Good luck.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:34 PM   #52
azsixshooter

For my AZ bull hunt last Nov-Dec (2009) I used my 6.5x55SE (CZ550 American) with some homerolled 160 grain Woodleigh's Protected Point Weldcores. I brought my M1 Garand as a backup rifle shooting 180 grain Federal's. I installed an after market adjustable gas plug and used a 5 round clip for that rifle in case I needed to use it. My CZ wears a Trijicon Accupoint TR20-2G and my M1 sports the original aperture sights. I wasn't able to get a shot on a bull, just giving you some different ideas.

I shoot a lot and practiced a great deal before the hunt from field-expedient positions, mostly hasty sling kneeling and sitting; some offhand, some prone with a pack for a rest. My 6.5x55SE was zeroed to MBPR for my handloads, which I believe was around 265 yds or so (assuming little to no wind). I had explored the area of my unit I was planning to hunt with my laser rf the summer before my hunt and felt confident that most any shot I'd have would be inside of 250 yds, more likely 50 - 100 yds.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old April 27, 2010, 05:15 PM   #53
Bigjfb

I like a 300wsm w/ 180 grn game kings. Feels about the same recoil as 30-06, packs the punch of a 300 mag, short action, little cheaper to reload than 300 mag.