The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 1999, 11:07 AM   #1
shamster

I am thinking about the Standard Scattergun 870 model. I know that Wilson Combat recently acquired Scatterguns, and replaced the gunsmiths with their own. Is Scattergun's quality still the same?
Also, what is the most affordable good quality buckshot round to practice with?
Old October 11, 1999, 09:16 PM   #2
DeBee

I'm going to try and field this one...

I was recently in contact with Wilson/Scattergun Tech for one of their rebuilds on my existing 870.

After examining several samples of their work (when they were just Scattergun Tech), I found them very sound and well thought out. The sights are great, very simple and sturdy, the follower with raised nub is super, and the stock and forearm synthetic, not painted as you'll see on some imitations.

However, almost everything they do is just bolting on parts (if your gun doesn't need any replacement parts). I'm thinking I can just buy the bolt on parts and do-it-myself. then I'll send the thing out for parkerizing. I'll have the gunsmith ream out a long forcing cone and perhaps back bore it to modified choke.

All told, you could probably do it yourself for much less money and have some cash left over from ammo.
Old October 15, 1999, 10:03 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm far from being a gunsmith, but I've kitchen tabled a coupla 870s, it's more a matter of bolting together than advanced gunsmithing.

We can get really nitpicky about our defense weapons, and we do. The fact of the matter is a reliable,to spec, weapon is all most of us need or can handle effectively.

As for bells and whistles, the best accessory is a case of ammo and some range time. Use some ammo paper testing to make sure the thing hits where you're looking.

I do recommend that a qualified gunsmith do a forceing cone job. Besides recoil reduction, it reduces pellets straying from the pattern by distortion in the cone.

If your 870 is an older model, the shell carrier is of the type that if a shell is not pushed ALL the way up into the mag until it clicks, it comes back behind the carrier and jams the weapon big time,requiring disassembly to clear.Installation of a new type is a gunsmith job,IMO.Relatively cheap,tho.

Also, I'd rather have a weapon tube choked instead of backbored. A little too much metal removal means big problems.I might be splitting hairs here.

Current Tactical 870 here is a mid 50s model my father bought used around 1955. It's bbled with the original bbl cut to 18" and a skosh, extended mag,peep sight w/ hooded front and a sidesaddle. Also, has a trigger job,new style carrier. Shoots Brenneke slugs and Federal 00 very well.
Outside of not taking 3 inch shells, it's pretty close to state of the art.