The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 28, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1
leadchucker

Maruhna Type Rifle???

I found a bring back letter in my dad's WWII stuff. It describes a Japanese "25 Calibre Rifle, Maruhna Type". I have to assume he got it in India. Unfortunately I don't recall him ever having a rifle like that, or even mentioning it to anyone. I have to guess he got rid of it before my time.

I've never heard of this type of rifle. Neither has Google.

Anyone have any idea what it might have been?
Old November 28, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
tahunua001

such a rifle was never used by the japanese military. this was more than likely something that a soldier bought at a market. I was thinking it may be a typo and that it could have been a murata but those were only made in 11mm and 8mm and there was nothing ever adopted for 25 anything except for maybe 25mm heavy weapons.
Old November 28, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, it was apparently fairly common at one time to refer to the 6.5 Arisaka as the .25 Japanese, and the 7.7 as the .31 Japanese. I suspect that it was simply a Japanese Arisaka rifle that the registering officer didn't know squat about.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 28, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
PetahW

6.5 Jap = .26 caliber, easy enough for a non-gunnut to call a ".25".............

"Murata", also easily enough garbled as a "Maruhna".

I agree with Mike - a 6.5 Japanese Arisaka, the successor (in Japan) to the Murata rifle.

It'd have been nice, if you could have found it - All I brought home during WWII was a popsicle from the local candy store .
(I was only 3 y.o. @ the time )

Old November 29, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In WWII, Japanese rifles were almost always called either ".25 Jap" (6.5mm) or ".31 Jap" (7.7mm). It was a common belief that the ".25 Jap" was little better than a .22 and worthless. Oddly, I never heard that from anyone who had been shot with one of those "worthless" rifles, only from armchair warriors and "he man" magazine writers.

Jim
Old November 29, 2013, 10:14 PM   #6
leadchucker

Finally, some answers that make some sense.

I am certain that this rifle is long gone. Dad and my other uncles were all in the war, but none of them ever liked to talk much about it. I'm guessing that they didn't care too much for reminders of it. Sounds like I might have inherited a nice Arisaka, if my dad had opted to hang onto it.

Thanks a bunch for the info, guys!
Old November 30, 2013, 07:12 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

We need to remember that the people who made out those "capture papers" were not gun experts. They typed or wrote what they thought they knew or what someone told them about a gun. I have seen capture papers that called a P.38 a "Luger" and a Type 14 a "Jap Luger". As long as the paper was enough to let the GI bring back his souvenir, no one really cared.

Jim