The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 8, 2013, 12:27 AM   #1
MaDMaXX

Post your cleaner and lubricant preferences

As titled, please post your bore cleaner and lubricant choice.

If you'd like to mention any reasoning and of course if you've run into any you don't rate that highly, please let us know.

Thanks.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Good CLPs...

Cleaning products & what to use are popular topics on gun forums.
A few brands I use or advise other gun owners research include; Ballistol, LPX, Weaponshield, Gunzilla, Slip2000, Hoppes #9 bore cleaner, B-C Synthetic Gun Cleaner.
Some gun owners suggest the newer CLP; Frog Lube, Gun Butter & Eezox.
Other use car care fluids & products(which Id be leery of).

CF
www.eezox.com www.brownells.com www.natchezss.com www.nra.org www.mpro7.com www.weaponshield.com www.grafs.com
Old July 8, 2013, 12:52 AM   #3
MaDMaXX

I currently have Hoppes 9 bore cleaner and oil, some rem-oil and some old outers cleaner and oil.

I'm seriously considering getting some Ballistoil and was toying with the Frog lube idea, actually, a friend just told me he uses the frog on all his auto's as it's amazing.... I'll have to enquire more.

I've not really used much if anything yet, i've only recently started collecting all my gun cleaning stuff together (someone used to keep and clean my firearms) and i don't get out much to shoot, so haven't really cleaned anything other than my DB yet

PS, you're not the frog from frogfr, are you?
Old July 8, 2013, 12:57 AM   #4
SgtLumpy

BreakFree CLP. Only chemical I've used on every gun I own for the last half century or so.

Doesn't smell. One bottle lasts forever (I've got one I bought around 1968 or so). Cleans, Lubes. Takes off carbon on revolver cylinders if I want to and use a toothbrush. Touches up scuffs on wooden grips, leather holsters.

It's simple. That's what I want. Chasing new "Wonder Lubes" would get tiring and expensive for me. I've bought a few, maybe used them once or twice. Still have most of them, opened but barely used. Sometimes I use them on hinges and gizmos around the ranch.

It just works.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 8, 2013, 06:53 AM   #5
wogpotter

M Pro -7
Its one of the few "modern" cleaners that actually dissolve jacket metal & lead fouling. Its a 2-parrt system, a carbon remover with mild metal solvents & a copper/lead solvent thats thicker & more concentrated. As neither use ammonia as a slovent the smell is much less strong & its water soluable for cleaning your brushes Etc. It won't eat your steel barrels & it can be left in to soak like the old Hoppes.

I also just got some of the lube they sell, but havent tried it yet.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 8, 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
BigTex308

Re: Post your cleaner and lubricant preferences

Hoppes9 copper solvent.

Frog lube for everything except the rails on 1911s and AR BCGs (frog lube on all the other parts just not those) in which case I use high heat wheel bearing grease

Ike
Old July 8, 2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Herr Walther

Break-Free CLP.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 8, 2013, 08:57 AM   #8
arch308

Hoppe's cleaner and gun oil. All I've ever needed.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:09 PM   #9
MaDMaXX

Just picked up a sample tube of the Froglube, there doesn't appear to be any reason why i can't use that for everything, but i'm wondering about picking up some Mill-Comm stuff for slide greasing, not sure...
Old July 8, 2013, 10:13 PM   #10
4runnerman

Montana Extreame, Hoppes--- That is good for air freshner only. Love the smell of hoppes
Old July 9, 2013, 05:04 PM   #11
AllenJ

Hoppies Copper solvent and RemOil.
Old July 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
...mention any reasoning...
About 20 years ago, at the Lansing, MI, gun and knife show there was an oriental gentleman who had a clever set-up to demonstrate the effectiveness of the lubricant he was selling compared to other common gun lubricants. He had a large diameter smooth wheel rotated by an electric motor. He had a lever that he would press down against the wheel until it stalled with a scale that indicated how many pounds of pressure it took to stall the wheel. In between demonstrating each oil, he would clean the wheel with acetone (as I remember). He clearly demonstrated that his product required many more pounds of pressure on the lever to stall the wheel. He called his product, "A Good Sports Lube", and freely stated that it was small containers or a well-known bulk product.
Such tests carry more weight with me than any number of testimonials by users, inasmuch as the people who swear-by a particular product have no way of knowing how it compares to any other.
The problem I had with the product, is that when I finally ran out of the lube he was selling, he was no longer selling it. He would appear at the gun shows set up to sell highly decorative lamps and I cannot for the life of me, remember the name of the bulk product he had stated was repackaged in his small/more convenient packaging. If anyone else remembers the fellow and what he said was in his bottles, please let us know.
Old July 9, 2013, 05:36 PM   #13
krimmie

Post your cleaner and lubricant preferences

Generally, I use Ed's Red as a bore solvent, Remoil and Fp-10 as lubricants, Although I like to use dry lube on my Sbe during duck season.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:15 PM   #14
BumbleBug

I'm a big believer in JB Bore paste. This will really get a barrel super clean (which sometimes is not what you really want). I start with Butch's bore shine, then JB & finally clean the paste out with regular Hoppe's. As for lubricating, I use very light coat of white lithium grease on bolt lugs, hoppe's gun oil on other moving parts. All lubrication is in moderation. For rust prevention I like spray silicon on a rag slid over everything.

...bug
Old July 9, 2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Nathan

My favorite thread!!!

Butch's Bore Shine

Weapons Shield CLP

These are my mainstays, but I usually use up what I have on hand. I use a bunch of #9, Breakfree, included free stuff before getting to these 2.

Never met any thing that these 2, carbon cleaner and elbow grease couldn't clean up.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:48 PM   #16
MaDMaXX

Thanks for all this input, people, it's really interesting to see the different choices, the people who have specific likes/dislikes and those who really don't give it much trial/thought.

By that i mean those that just don't have a problem using something from under the sink, or perhaps something very outdated, and although works well, there are now newer products that work better than before.

It also seems to be very similar to car oil in that people have all sorts of opinions and things that work well for them.

So, right now, i have Hoppe's cleaner and Hoppe's oil, along with some old Outers cleaner and oil.
I have not used any of this yet, the Outers kit was a very old one that came with my wifes little single shot .22, and the Hoppe's is a quick kit i picked up from Bi-Mart a while back.

I just grabbed a 1$ sample pack locally for FrogLube, i also spent the weekend watching Froglube vids, trying to find reputable and realistic approaches to this. From everything i've found, and all the people i've spoken to about it, they all like it, all have switched everything to using it since trying, which i guess is a pretty good selling point.

I'm still on the fence as to whether i want to run Froglube over the whole weapon, or just on the slide points and get a more advanced (than Hoppe's) oil for things like the actions. I was thinking something like Slip2000 EWL or the Mil-Comm 2500.

Either way, my sisters P226 is coming tomorrow, she got it used and went out to use it, multiple feed problems etc, from what i can tell, it's filthy, but i'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I think i'll strip the whole thing and try Froglube across the whole weapon and see what happens.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:49 PM   #17
MaDMaXX

I just want to quickly add, that i think most of the good ones are known, but without bashing products, does anyone have examples or just thoughts on products they really didn't like/have good success with?
Old July 9, 2013, 09:58 PM   #18
armsmaster270

Froglube or CLP

CLP was my old favorite but it has been replaced by froglube.
Old July 9, 2013, 10:41 PM   #19
MaDMaXX

Yeah, that's the kind of thing i hear, CLP was good, and i guess still is, but there are a bunch of products that are more advanced nowadays, and unless you've already got a stockpile, i think it's worth checking out the newer stuff.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:41 AM   #20
SgtLumpy

Quote:
CLP was good, and i guess still is, but there are a bunch of products that are more advanced nowadays
CLP is not exactly a product. It's a type of product. Several manufacturers blend their own version.

I'm not convinced there are "a bunch of products that are more advanced nowadays". I think there's a bunch that are more highly promoted because they're new and their ad gurus find out what pushes our buttons.

Guns, esp our kind of guns, don't wear out or fail because the lubricant we use isn't modern enough. It's all oil of some sort. It has this or that added to it. But one way or another, it's some kind of oil. Guns just aren't under that much stress compared to an internal combustion engine or a fighter jet or even your elbow joint.

We all probably over lube guns.

Put a little oil on 'em once in a while. Just about any kind will do.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 10, 2013, 05:13 AM   #21
cryogenic419

I use Shooters Choice bore cleaner, FP-10 oil, Shooters Choice grease, and Remington Dri Lube for cleaning and lube. I use Eezox for rust prevention only.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:49 AM   #22
dahermit

Quote:
I just want to quickly add, that i think most of the good ones are known, but without bashing products, does anyone have examples or just thoughts on products they really didn't like/have good success with?
I had a Browning side by side that I thought had leaded up. I could see dark-grey streaks in both barrels. Work on it with a wire brush and Hoppie's #9 as I would, I could not get the "lead" out of the barrels. For some reason, I purchased some other bore cleaner (Shooter's Choice),and was astonished when a "black sludge" came out of the bores on the patch. The "lead" had really been plastic shot-shell wad residue and Hoppie's never touched it.

To be fair, that was a long time ago and Hoppie's may have changed their formula to work with plasitic...I do not know, but modern Hoppies #9 does not seem to work as well as some of the other bore cleaners in handguns as well.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:43 AM   #23
JWT

MPro -7 or Hoppes #9. I like to soak my choke tubes in Hoppes for a few minutes, takes the burned plastic from the wads off easily. Use MPro for everything else. Still love the smell of the Hoppes.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:46 AM   #24
Rifleman1776

WD-40; CLP Break-Free; Ballistol; RIG.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:58 AM   #25
Strafer Gott

Shooter's Choice, Ballistol and Outer's Gunslick are my mainstays. I guess I just dated myself.