The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2001, 07:18 PM   #1
Redneck2

How to set OAL and interchanging cases ???

Went to a local dealer and got a good price on 200 grain LSWC's for the 45 acp ($17.95 per 500). They appear to be the same or very similar to the #452630 as listed in the Lyman manual.

Now I know that "similar, close to, about the same" don't cut it a lot of times in reloading.....so, how do I set OAL with an unknown bullet? In fact, how do you ever know for sure unless the bullet is the EXACT one specified in the manual?

Only way I can see is to find a bullet that you have info on, measure and establish the seating depth into the case, and then set all others to the same depth (into the case) taking into account the variance in length of the bullet. Is this correct??

CASE BRAND...I know that substituting rifle cases can have a rather dramatic effect on pressure. I have a good supply of mixed manufacturer cases for the 45. With relatively mild loads (6.3 of Unique) can I safely mix the brands? I would assume so as the cases are not nearly as full as most rifle loads but want to check first.. Thanks in advance.
Old July 15, 2001, 09:01 PM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

If you're off a couple thousandths with .45 ACP, it's not going to make that much of a deal.
Old July 15, 2001, 11:08 PM   #3
swifter...

Redneck2,

When I was shooting action matches, I loaded many thousands of 200 gr SWC .45s by seating them so I had about 1/32nd" of bullet shoulder sticking out from the case mouth. This moves the headspace from the case mouth to the bullet shoulder and a crush fit, but improves reliability. Don't sweat the length when you do this, its damn near self-adjusting. Just don't go much over 7.0 of Unique.
Tom
Old July 16, 2001, 12:17 AM   #4
Edward429451

Trial and error for a bullet with no data. What I've always done was start light & long, increase depth until feed reliability is attained, then work up the powder charge after that.
No KB's yet.