The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
got ammo?

Automag 2 woes...

A few weeks ago, I picked up a .22 Magnum AMT Automag II at a gunshow, and the thing cant cycle once, I load it and lock it correctly, and after the first shot the slide will come back,lay down the hammer, and go back into firing position,but the when I pull the trigger again,nothing happens, its like its on safe,but its not, I pull the clip and pull the slide back, and the primer is not dented in the chambered round.does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old June 20, 2009, 11:05 PM   #2
plainsman456

I worked on one that had the same problem,It was carboned up.I soaked it and scrubbed it till i could drop a round in the chamber and it would fall out.when you put it together,lube the rails and the barrel bushing.Good Luck
Old June 20, 2009, 11:07 PM   #3
plainsman456

I forgot that win dynapoint ammo wouldn't cycle so i used cci and some old win super speed.Good Luck
Old June 21, 2009, 09:00 AM   #4
PetahW

Their chamber has a ring of tiny gas ports just ahead of the case mouth, that feeds propellent gasses back against the case walls to retard blowback, with the resultant carbon fouling posted above.

Give it a good kerosene soak & cleaning - then remember they're ammo sensitive.

IIRC, when I bought mine when they were first issued, AMT recommended CCI's only - but it coulda been Winchesters. (CRS)

BTW - It's a good thing you can read this, because if you fire that puppy w/o ear protection, you're not going to hear much for quite some time.
They are the LOUDEST firearm I've ever touched off, bar none, in the last 50 years.

Old June 22, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
john323

Automag 2 woes...

Very ammo sensitive use Win ammo only and make sure it's clean and dry before shooting.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Pocketfisherman

It sounds like a timing problem to me with the disconnector. The sear is not realigning correctly when the action cycles.