The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 15, 2012, 09:29 AM   #1
bspillman

polish p 64 help

Hey Folks i just got a polish p64 in a private sale. Every thing seems to function great except the fact that when i manually rack the slide to check for ejection issues, the 3 or 4 round always double feeds, with the first round left in the chamber.
I checked the mags and every thing seems good and when i manually unload the mags by hand they fly out as if they are under enough tension.
Could this problem be because it is a blow back design and I'm not pulling the slide back with enough force to fully eject the round.
I have not shot it yet due to work and family scheduling but will later today (i hope). I was just wondering if this could be the problem.
Thanks in advance.
Old April 15, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Doyle

Are you saying that you are trying to empty the entire magazine by racking the slide by hand? If so, I would not consider that as a true indication that you will have real problems when shooting. Both of the P-64s I've owned operated flawlessly. Replace the mainspring with a lighter one (the 18lb seems to be the one that works best in most guns, but one of mine actually needed the 16lb spring to make the trigger feel right). Also replace the recoil spring with the heavier one. It will help tame some of the recoil snap.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
bspillman

Thanks Doyle thats what i was hopeing to hear, i really like the feel of the gun in hand and it will be a perfect ccw and back up duty weapon. I was just curious as to the problem ejecting. also can anyone tell me what ammo grain works the best in your p64.
Old April 15, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

For mine it works great with any ammo. For carry I use Wolf Military Classic FMJ. It is what I could get a while back when I ordered 1k rounds. That will last me a long time seeing as how I shoot 7 to 14 rounds a week to stay proficient with it. For mine I drop the mag, and then eject the chamber round. The slide pull back is not a good indicator of feed reliability. Take it to the range and shoot it. Take a box or two of ammo, and shoot the crap out of it. Keep repeating. Mine has never ever jammed or failed to properly feed. It is my pocket gun.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
saands

The heavier ammo (115gr) tends to be more problematic in the P-64 than most of the standard 95gr fodder. You should definitely take a trip to the P-64 forum http://www.p64resource.com/forum/ for specifics ... lots of info over there. If you go with anything lighter than a 20# mainspring, I would make sure to test it thoroughly as I have seen spontaneous magazine ejection occur as the mag gets close to empty (the mainspring does double duty in the P-64 ... hammer and mag release). I'd second the suggestion to put the heaviest recoil spring that you can fit into it ... the "snap" from the slide impacting the frame almost goes away with the heaviest one from Wolff (22# IIRC).

Great little pistol!

Saands
Old April 18, 2012, 08:38 PM   #6
bspillman

Great little pistol!

I agree perfect for gun for me. I dont mind the recoil or the heavy double action pull so ii probably wont do any mods. to this one. Thanks for the help and the forum recommendation.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:44 PM   #7
saands

I fully understand not going after a lighter DA pull ... but since you mentioned using it as a backup, I really would suggest at least looking into the recoil spring upgrade ... I have believed all along that the Poles used as much spring as they could stuff in there given the limitations of their metallurgy at the time. Wolff was able to sneak a little more spring in with the advantages of modern metallurgy and the result is that it does come back on target faster with the attenuated snap ... it still recoils, but it doesn't slap you as much at then end of the stroke.

Either way, carry it in good health!

Saands
Old April 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #8
bumnote

I'm working from memory here, but I seem to remember reading in '72(?) they changed a few things in the design...shape of the hammer and if I'm not mistaken the lips on the magazine. I believe they made them a little shorter. If you have an early model pistol with a later model magazine or vice versa that could be the problem. I have a '75 with both types of magazines and have had zero issues with them at the range. I also changed out the recoil spring with the heavier Wolff 22# and it's less snappy. I also changed out the main spring, it'll make the DA lighter...but it's still a heavy pull. You just don't need two fingers for it.
These are great little guns and extremely reliable...not to mention a price that can't be beat for the quality and features. I carry mine in warm weather since its easy to conceal.
Old April 20, 2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Nakanokalronin

Make sure to carry it with the safety on since it also blocks the firing pin. The Wolff recoil spring is an excellent upgrade. If you do it, replace the firing pin spring with the Wolff one that comes with the recoil spring.

I really like mine. It fits perfectly in most holsters made for a PPK like the Bianchi 100 I use with mine.