The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2002, 10:30 PM   #1
SkaerE

good jerky recipes...

anyone have any? i loves me some jerky. gonna try making it this year. (God willing)
Old November 22, 2002, 11:02 PM   #2
Sisco

I've tried different ways but the easiest I've found is one of those "jerky shooters" that extrude seasoned ground venison onto a dehydrator. I add my own spices along with the seasoning packets that come with the kits.
Old November 22, 2002, 11:10 PM   #3
SkaerE

forgot to add,

cant stand that "mushy" jerky. nothing personal, just not my bag of jerky so to speak. i like the kind that you've REALLY got to bite and tear at.

the kind that still resembles meat
Old November 23, 2002, 12:12 AM   #4
Chuck Dye

Go to

http://fooddownunder.com

and run the search. Somewhere in 138 recipes you should find something you like, or, I you are like me, ideas to mix and match for your own recipe.
Old November 25, 2002, 01:28 AM   #5
BBall550

Venison Jerky the BBall way.
(Works on Beef too!)

I like to smoke the whole deer unless I have requests otherwise. Roasts and straps get initially cut off whole then sliced into 1" by 1" strips (Bigger is ok but take longer) the rest of the meat generally gets smoked the way/size it comes off. I have the double sized "Big Chief" smoker.

I soak the meat in the following "mixture" . I use a huge plastic tub that just fits in the fridge. The amounts will reflect this tub. Reduce to fit your application.

Red wine of your choice 1 bottle
Kikkomans terriaki 1 16oz bottle
Mezzettas Habenaro California sauce 4oz (will result in 4 outta 10 hot)
Black pepper 1/2 cup
Minced garlic 1 oz
Salt only 1 table spoon

All meat gets forked. I usually soak it for 12-24 hours
After soaking I let the meat sit on the smoker racks in my kitchen for about 1/2 hour. Load the smoker biggest chucks towards the bottom. I smoke 1 pan of alder for 1 hour, then 1 pan cherry for an hour. Then comes the hard part. I let it go for about 12-15 hours.

Ive been offered money for the finished product, but it usually gets given away.

One word of caution. Some of the "after effects" can clear rooms, peel paint, and make you a very lonely person. (But it's worth it!)

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. ~Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)