The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
bspillman

Your opinions please.

I'm asking for opinions on the Kel Tec pf9. Whats the real deal with them? are they good to own? are they crap? Is it worth the 300 bucks to take a chance on? Im not looking for opinions about glock, kahr, or what ever PF9 opinions only please.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
CPO15

I remember standing in the gun shop, handling the pf9 and thinking "It's only 300 bucks, how could I go wrong?"

I never made friends with it: worst recoil and reliability of any gun I've owned. Not accurate and a jam on every magazine. Used it for trade fodder in less than 60 days.

However, there are a LOT of very satisfied pf9 owners. A lot of power in a small package. If you can, shoot before you buy.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:45 PM   #3
jmortimer

They are decent but with the ones you mentioned, and Ruger for that matter, Kel-Tec seems irrelevant to me.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
blchandl2

A friend traded his LC9 for a PF9 and is much happier. He likes the trigger much better on the PF9. He has had no issues with reliability on the PF9. The Ruger had to be sent back twice for repair.

That said, all of these pocket guns seem to be hit and miss on reliability.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Dashunde

I rountinely handle one at the counter when I see it, I like its thinness, but its fit/finish/feel is usually just as bad as its trigger. Then there are the consistent gripes around here about its recoil, which is inexcusable in a pistol its size, it shouldnt be punishing.

I know you said skip the other brands, but be aware that ~$50 more and the CM9 is in reach... that $50 goes a very long way in getting you a nicely made, soft shooting, smaller pistol with a excellent trigger.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
fsmitka

Lot's of problems with mine, never again.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
orionengnr

I owned four different K-Ts a few years back. None of them worked correctly. I spent a lot of time on the K-T forums, spent a lot of time "fluffing and buffing", a lot of money on new mags and various ammo types...

...and then I lost a lot of money by selling each with full disclosure.

You won't see me trying again.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

I've seen more folks have problems with Kel-Tecs that aren't easily explained. One shooting buddy had a KT P3AT and called it the biggest piece of crap he had ever owned. Said you couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it. That day, at the range, I had mine with me, and let him try it. He couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it. I then reloaded, and shot a 3" group at 15 feet, without problem. He's a good shooter with SIGs or 1911s, but something about the Kel-Tec just didn't work with him. I think that happens with others, too.

I've had a P3AT, a P11, and now have a PF-9. I've put a lot of rounds through all of them. The P3AT trigger guard and my hand didn't fit -- it actually HURT me to shoot it; the similar Ruger LCP did not. The P11 has an unusual trigger and I didn't really master it. Both of these guns were reliable. I've never had a single problem with any Kel-Tec product. (I've had two of their Sub2000 rifles, and am on a list to get a PMR-30 pistol.)

I now frequently carry the PF9. Once I added the KTADDONS grip materials, it went form marginally painful to shoot to comfortable, and I'm now quite happy with it. I also have a Kahr CM9 I picked up in trade, and while the trigger is better, I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the PF9. I'll try them both for a while and then sell one of them. The Kahr is more pleasant, and with the CM9, the price isn't THAT MUCH different.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:09 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
I'm asking for opinions on the Kel Tec pf9. Whats the real deal with them? are they good to own?
Yes. For the money. I would not recommend buying one for a first gun. It's a specialized item.

Quote:
are they crap?
It's possible to get a bad one. The factory will take care of it.

Quote:
Is it worth the 300 bucks to take a chance on?
You should be able to get one for less than that.

Quote:
Im not looking for opinions about glock, kahr, or what ever PF9 opinions only please.
I bought one, ohhh, 2.5 years ago now. It's been pretty good. A trip to the Cocoa, FL mothership took care of an intermittant light strike problem. I've had no other problems with it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 23, 2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Fishbed77

I know the OP said he didn't want opinions of other pistols, but the simple fact is that the Kahr CM9 makes the Kel-Tec PF9 pretty irrelevant in my opinion. It's a much better pistol for not much more money.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:48 PM   #11
hardhat harry

Handled many KT products while employed in a gun shop. I could not get past the port "fit and finish" on the KelTecs. I sold 'em, never bad mouthed them to the customers. I have never fired one, I would fire one if someone offered, but I will not buy.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:52 PM   #12
erob3

Hated the looonnnng and heavy trigger pull. Sold it. Find something else, you won't regret it.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Mine works just fine. The Keltec warranty is second to none.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #14
RBid

It's a coin flip whether you get a good sample, or a lemon. Mine was garbage. Even if you get a good sample, they are very snappy. The prospect of putting multiple shots on target with speed is very slim.

I would not trust my life to one.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Bill DeShivs

The PF9 trigger pull is about as long as a S&W revolver pull, but lighter.
Most Keltecs work fine. I trust my life to their products-and I have lots of other guns to use.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:31 AM   #16
throttleup

Kel-Tec PF-9

One lives, 24/7 in my pocket in a Galco Horeshide pocket holster. I sometimes forget it's there. Every few weeks I will remember it, pull it out at the range and take 3 or 4 shots. Pocket lint will fly but holes appear right where I'm aiming and it always works. At least it does with Speer Gold Dots of Federal Hydro-shocks. I wipe it off, refill the mag and put it back to be a silent companion again for a few weeks. I learned how to shoot double action, snub nosed revolvers, accurately many years ago. It is the same trigger manipulation and it does take some practice. Sure it pops, you're shooting a full power 9mm out of the smallest, lightest gun they could make. It's not the prettiest or the best finished gun I own but mine at least, works.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:07 AM   #17
mumbo719

I pocket carry my PF-9 daily in a Di Santis Nemesis. I have around 2k rounds down range without a problem. They do kick like a mule though.

$300.00 sounds kind of high, check CDNN.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:03 AM   #18
loose_holster_dan

mine has some upgrades that i think are absolutely necessary to make this pistol tolerable. lucky you - it's for sale!
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487150
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; November 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:11 PM   #19
k511

i have had zero problems with my PF9 with over 2k rounds down range... Yes, the recoil is snappy BUT has no more snap to it than my LC9, LCP, S&W bodyguard, or my PPK.... my personal PF9 i trust with my life
Old November 24, 2012, 01:40 PM   #20
SDF880

I have 2 PF-9's and so far absolutely no problems with either of them or any of my other Kel-Tec's.

SDF880