The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Xfire68

Traded my 887 last night! :)

Got rid of my 887 Tactical and replaced it with a Mossberge 500 8 shot Persuader. Cost me a total of $37 for my new Mossy in place of the used 887.

I would of liked the 887 if it did not double feed all the time but, it is was it is.

There also were zero add-ons for the 887 either.

Ordered a Hogue stock/fore grip combo for it as well as a Tritium front night sight.

Need to find a good single point sling mount for it though.
Old January 7, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Xfire68

I should add I was the "Lucky" gun buyer of the day that had a hold placed on the purchase from the FBI background check.

I bought 2 S&W M&P AR's at this gun shop 2 years ago and the same thing happened. Not a big deal as I have to wait the darn 24hr waiting period that IL State law makes us suffer through anyway!

Will post pic's (Not that most have not seen a Mossy 500) when I get my stock and front sight delivered.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Rugerismisticness

wow, enjoy your new mossberg.
Old January 8, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
abber

Hey, post a follow-up after shooting a few rounds. I just got an 887, so I would like to know your take on how the two compare.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Xfire68

Well, I can say I did like the way the 887 felt and how accurate it was but the double feeds were a no go for me as it was a Tactical/home defense shotgun. If a second shot is need on a deer that's one thing but, if your life or the lives of your loved ones is at stake you just can't have that happening on a regular basis.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Rugerismisticness

It wasn't a little "wide"? I like the concept (I do have a Nova), but it needs a change in ergos and the trigger unit needs a redesign.
Old January 13, 2012, 06:27 PM   #7
ilyagali

Actual owner of a Remy 887 NMT says:

I have owned my 887 for about two years now. I have read pages and pages about them and shot at least 200 rounds or so through mine. I am still surprised how little people seem to know about this particular gun. As far as your double feed problem is concerned, the issue can be solved by simply pushing the shell ALL the way into the mag tube. If you push the shell into the mag tube NOT all the way, the shell will catch on the Follower before catching on the Latch.

Here is a link to an article which describes this particular problem in detail.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-329613.html

I did personally have a double feed issue with my 887 at first, but this was due to me not understanding the mechanism. Now when I test cycle my mag tube I make sure to push the last shell all the way past the follower and I have not had the double feed happen once since I found this out. Hope it is helpful to anyone out there who is considering the 887.

Also, I will add that all of the bad reviews and complaints about the 887 seem to be totally unfounded in truth. I have found mine to be a very reliable and accurate shotgun, also nice and lightweight for long distance carrying.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Xfire68

LOL! ^^^^^

To funny.

Well, I got to shoot the Mossy today and put 40 rounds through it from Winchester Super Sport 7 1/2, hand loaded 1 oz Lee slugs, hand loaded 00 buck in 2 3/4 and 3 inch to factory buckshot loads. All cycled perfect and I fell in love with this simple but functional and fun shotgun!

The fit and feel of the gun is much better imo over the Remington as this is a thinner more sleek gun compared to the 887's over sized everything. I also like the feel of a steel trigger over the plastic button on the 887. One other thing I think is important is the safety. The Remington's was almost impossible to work with thicker gloves on where the 500's could be worked with mittens on!

I put my Houge stock and fore grip on the day I brought it home and I love the rubber grip on this gun now. What a smooth shooting gun. $300 can buy you happiness! LOL
Old January 17, 2012, 05:51 AM   #9
Rugerismisticness

Yup ^^, I'm glad you found a good platform.