The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 16, 2000, 10:37 PM   #1
ctdonath

Anyone know of any defensive pepper spray that is pure & clean enough to, um, eat?

I detect another "my hot sauce is hotter than your hot sauce" and "gee, that's not TOO hot" chest-puffing contest coming up in my circles. To top them, I'm wondering if some pepper spray - hot enough to stop a 6'2" 230 lb monster raging crazed Marine - on an omlette might just top the other contestants.

Thoughts?
Old August 17, 2000, 12:51 AM   #2
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Umm. Hmm. Since most OC sprays are designed to be targeted into a persons mouth, nose and eyes, I think they're all pretty much...well, not exactly edible, but definently non-toxic. If I were you, make sure that your victims have a sense of humour--use of OC spray on someone for other than self-defense purposes may be a crime in some areas.

As a comparison, though, I have to advise you of some Scoville Heat Unit ratings:

Bell Pepper: 0 Scoville Heat Units (SHU's)

Jalapeno: 5,000 SHU's

Habenero (Scotch bonnet): 125,000 SHU's.

OC sprays: 2,000,000 SHU's.

If you want to get a salsa that is designed to be eaten and will burn the nose hairs off a Marine, look for something called Endorphin Rush. A lot of the stores down here carry it, and the stuff is lethal. I believe it's pureed habeneros in a vinegar sauce.

If you can't find Endorphin Rush, look for any salsa in which the main ingredient is habenero or scotch bonnet.

LawDog

Old August 17, 2000, 06:59 AM   #3
Gopher .45

If you do have a culinary accident where the intended food source does not go where intended, try using milk, whole milk, to cut the burning. Contrary to what you see on TV, pepper is not broken down well by water (sterile or otherwise) or alchohol (hence why beer or water doesn't cut the "hot" when eating). Milk, ice cream, etc., all fats-inclusive, do a better job.
Old August 17, 2000, 08:26 AM   #4
ctdonath

Oh, I'd never spring this on someone unawares. A BIG buildup is warranted!

Good point on the whole milk antidote. Or...ice cream!
Old August 17, 2000, 11:48 AM   #5
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Dave's Insanity Sauce. One drop will make most people drop to their knees and cry like a schoolgirl. And it's a great defense in court...

"No, Mister Prosecutor, it's just hot sauce, just like you get at Taco Bell, not lethal nerve gas as you're trying to make the jury believe. I was coming out of the grocery store when I was attacked. Do you believe that they would sell WEAPONS at a grocery store?"

(...and hope the dipstick DA doesn't think about knives and rolling pins ).
Old August 17, 2000, 12:33 PM   #6
Ledbetter

CAUTION--PARTY-POOPER REALITY/LEGALITY CHECK FOLLOWS:

Greetings:

Please bear this in mind:

1) Adulterating someone's food with noxious substances constitutes the crime of battery in many jurisdictions.

2) Consent is no defense to battery. If a guy asks you to hit him in the head with a crowbar, you do and he dies, it's your beef (take that any way you want).

3) Drunks make terrible witnesses.

Regards,

Ledbetter, Esq.
Old August 17, 2000, 09:36 PM   #7
ctdonath

Born (beared?) in mind.

1) It's his food and I'll let him do with it what he likes.
2) I'd be handing the guy the crowbar and telling him to do it himself if he's that much of a massochist.
3) We enjoy our hot stuff stone cold sober.
Old August 17, 2000, 10:05 PM   #8
Dave D

For what its worth, I have sprayed food lightly (very lightly!) with OC and found that yes it peps things up a bit, but there is not much flavor to it -just hot. I like hot foods and salsa, besides the heat of the peppers the pepper flavor is what makes it. OC doesnt really cut it in the flavor department.
Old August 17, 2000, 11:23 PM   #9
Correia

I've met a prison guard who would spray OC on his chili and eat it, to impress (or scare the heck out of) his friends.
Old August 18, 2000, 05:45 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

LawDog: Thanks for the comparative Scoville ratings. Know anything about regular old household pepper?

My wife is ultra-sensitive to any sort of "hot" spice. She even picks green peppers slices from a salad! Even a hint of pepper seasoning in food brings sweat...It's interesting to note the "0" rating of Bell Peppers...

Art
Old August 18, 2000, 11:31 AM   #11
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Art, as near as I can discover, plain old black pepper hasn't been rated.

Some informative sites:
http://www.madcoyotejoe.com/scoville.htm
http://www.baileyfarmsinc.com/Facts/Scoville.html

LawDog
Old August 18, 2000, 01:01 PM   #12
Ledbetter

ctdonath,

You guys are going to eat pepper spray voluntarily Stone Cold Sober?!?!?

Hats off to you my friend. Bon appetit.

Ledbetter
Old August 18, 2000, 02:46 PM   #13
fed168

Just a small bit of humor. Two guys on my sqaud went to get a cup of coffee, one was not looking, his partner squirted a tad of OC into his cup. A bit later he drinks his coffee, looks like something might not be right, so he takes another sip. Oops! Something was wrong! Duh huh!
Old August 18, 2000, 03:56 PM   #14
stoat

in my last year of high school we were having a "hot sauce" competition, i could handle most of the stuff that they had for us to try, dave's insanity sauce and alike. I would consider myself to be "pretty tough" when it comes to hot stuff. Well, i stuck a little oc in my chili once and let me tell you... OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCHHHHHHHHHH
Old August 18, 2000, 06:51 PM   #15
JNewell

LB -- please, please, fercryinoutloud, if you're going to use the foreign words, please spell 'em right.

It's burn appetite.

=8-)
Old August 20, 2000, 02:16 AM   #16
C.R.Sam

Tried it on eggs, little hot and no flavor.

Had guard dog get sprayed, dog got some of the fence jumper's clothing and chewed the cannister. He didn't seem to have an opinion of pepper spray either way.

Sam
Old August 20, 2000, 09:43 AM   #17
Jody Hudson

Some Health Food stores carry FRESH OC powder which is used in very small quantities for various alternative therapies when mixed with other stuff. It is often listed with heat units. If the person putting it in a bag or bottle for you isn't wearing cloves and a mask for protection it's not very strong or very fresh.

Some I got a few years ago was VERY strong. It was strong enough that the Muy Macho Mexican INS agents in LA who thought they were VERY tough -- were overly impressed with it. I put a DROP of what I had mixed up which was a thin syrup of the OC powder and some grain alcohol onto a spoon and one just put the spoon in his mouth. He instantly turned purple and ran for the bathroom. Another -- being more careful -- dipped his knife tip into my syrup and then stirred it into his eggs a bit. It was still too strong for him.

This was during the Rodney King party in LA and we weren't allowed to carry weapons of any kind nor even pepper spray legally. So I carried a small mayonaise bottle of my syrup with me and had a professional looking label made on computer and printer to put on it saying Hot Sauce. My INS contacts said they thought I was VERY well protected should I ever need the sauce defensively.

They guy who tried the eggs said it had good flavor but was tooooo strong for him. The others lost the Macho act and didn't want to try any after the first two reactions from the other two guys.

Basically it was a very strong pepper dust, it was fresh, and it was about a 95% solution in the grain alcohol. I think type and freshness were the important parts. I've had some pepper spray that lost nearly all of it's power after a couple of years. Fresh is important!!!
Old August 20, 2000, 10:59 AM   #18
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

If I remember correctly, the pure capsicum powder is rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 million SHU.

LawDog