The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 18, 2000, 12:08 PM   #1
William R. Wilburn

For you tactical types out there:

There is a product I use on horses (and myself for aging body parts) called: Vet-Wrap by 3M, and also an equivalent product by Andover named Co-Flex. These products, cohesive flexible bandages, come in four-inch wide rolls and are are stretchy, clingy without residue, water-proof, durable, tough, and come in many colors, including your favorite: flat black.

I use it to secure bandages on the legs of horses, but prefer it to elastic bandages on humans too. A superior product for holding a pressure dressing in place. I have even turned it into a finger-less glove to protect a wound on the palm of a hand.

We have to be cautious of ticks and Lyme's Disease in our area, so if you blouse your boots and top off with a couple of wraps of Co-Flex it seals out ticks and also covers your laces so they are non-snag.

Wrap buckles on packs, etc. to keep from rattling or changing adjustment unintentionally. Securing (lashing) gear to equipment or body appendages. Quiet and no glare.

I prefer Co-Flex over 3M. The Co-Flex seems a little more adhesive and tougher. Find it at feed stores or large-animal vets. Price varies: for Co-Flex, on sale, at $1.69 to about $3.50 for 3M Vet-Wrap. Good stuff!

The Devil is in the details.

_William
Old May 18, 2000, 08:03 PM   #2
Maddock

I've used it for protection during courses and training. It's prevented a lot of blisters and raw spots.
Old May 18, 2000, 09:17 PM   #3
fubsy

Is this the same wrap that boxers use???..fubsy.
Old May 19, 2000, 01:07 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

HERESY!

William, nothing is better than Duct Tape. Not a blood-rare steak grilled over mesquite, not sex in a jacuzzi, not even a 1911 can top the beauty and perfection of Duct Tape.

BTW, shouldn't this really be in Gear/Accessories?

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited May 19, 2000).]
Old May 19, 2000, 04:00 PM   #5
William R. Wilburn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coinneach:
[b]HERESY!

William, nothing is better than Duct Tape. Not a blood-rare steak grilled over mesquite, not sex in a jacuzzi, not even a 1911 can top the beauty and perfection of Duct Tape. [B][/quote]

Damn, you must REALLY like duct tape!

Move to Gear/Accessories is a good call.

-William, the Heretic

Old May 19, 2000, 11:28 PM   #6
Marcus

Sounds like neat stuff,I may have to try it. Still duct tape is like the force,it has a light side,a dark side and it holds the universe together. Marcus
Old May 20, 2000, 12:07 AM   #7
animal

Mr. Wilburn,
Does the adhesive leave a residue behind after you pull the stuff off your boots ?

Better than Duct tape : the screaming yellow 4" wide stuff the Air Force uses for something or other. It's like duct tape but with nylon fibers in it. Can't tear it, it has to be cut with a knife or good scissors. Sweet!
Old May 20, 2000, 11:13 PM   #8
William R. Wilburn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by animal:
Does the adhesive leave a residue behind after you pull the stuff off your boots ?[/quote]

Animal,

Negative on the residue. It comes away clean. It works more on compression than ashesion. It is a latex based product.

-William

Old May 27, 2000, 11:40 PM   #9
PreserveFreedom

*William, nothing is better than Duct Tape. Not a blood-rare steak grilled over mesquite, not sex in a jacuzzi, not even a 1911 can top the beauty and perfection of Duct Tape.*

I don't know, Cheaper Than Dirt has some stuff they say is 100 times stronger than duct tape that is supposed to be used to patch bulletholes in aircraft.

Old May 28, 2000, 08:50 PM   #10
tc556guy

Personally Coinneach, I would prefer sex in the jacuzzi....i don't know exactly WHAT you are using the duct tape for, or what body parts it's ON, but perhaps we shouldn't delve into THAT any more than we have already!