The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 26, 2002, 09:21 PM   #1
prescott

M-48 chamber polishing?

I recently ran a thread on the revolver board concerning problems with a S&W M-48 (.22 MAG. K-frame). Through discussion and the process of elimination I concluded that the main cause of my problem was due to hard extraction. So hard infact that small amounts of case material are shaved off in the process, leading to all sorts of problems. My initial reaction was to secure the services of a gunsmith however I usually do my own smithing. At this point I would like some advice on chamber polishing / reaming, something which I have never attemted. Brownells offers a finish ream in .22 MAG by Clymer. My question is, will the finish ream be enough to remove any material? The chambers are very tight. Also, what kind of surface will it leave behind? Finally, is elbow grease enough or will I need power tools? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information on the problems, see "M-48 problems?" on the revolver board. Thanks!
Old February 26, 2002, 11:51 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Try just polishing the chambers a bit. You can use a slotted cleaning rod tip or a slotted piece of dowel rod (the latter is better, as the wood won't damage anything accidentally). Get some very fine emery paper (1000 grit - available at auto stores -is good) and put a small strip through the slot so it wraps around the rod with the abrasive side out. It should just fit in the chamber. Put the rod in a drill and spin it in a chamber, working it in and out while it is spinning. Replace the paper and do the next chamber.

Do this several times in each chamber and try the gun.

Jim