The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 9, 2002, 10:23 AM   #1
RH Factor

Now what do I do...IPSC question.

Well..I went to my first IPSC league night at my local range. Paid my dues and joined. I have a Sig 239 .40, thought it would be enuff gun..Wrong....I have only 2 mags for it a was going to pick up another (at $25.00 cost plus belt mag carriers at $?). But when I got there I saw the course of fire..and it was a min. 26 rounds.....My Sig mags hold 7 rounds. That means if I'm very good and don't miss but twice I'll still need a total 4 mags......most likely 5 or 6. After looking around I saw most had either 1911's or glocks with 10 round mags. So what do I do....buy 3 more mags so I can shoot my Sig...or hang it up till I can afford a new gun.
What would you do? Thanks
RH Factor
Old January 9, 2002, 10:53 AM   #2
Jeeper

I would shoot it with what you have and get a few more mags. Sigs arent very common in this type of competition. Until you get competitive you can use what you have. Later you will probably want a 1911 or such. It will make you want one more every time you shoot. Just have fun with it.
Old January 9, 2002, 11:27 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Get more mags and enjoy. If you decide to get seriously competitive later down the road you will by then have an idea of what you want for a competition gun.

Enjoy.....Sam
Old January 9, 2002, 12:41 PM   #4
SDC

To be able to shoot most courses of fire, you'll probably want at least 5 mags; 1 in the gun and 4 on the belt. Some people also like to have 1 extra mag just for loading the round in the chamber before you start. Anyway, have fun, that's what the point is.
Old January 9, 2002, 01:17 PM   #5
cobraman

Get more mags for now. I assume you are shooting in Production class.
I started by doing the same thing you did. I shot IPSC for a year with a 4 inch 1911 and just bought a bunch of mags to shoot L10. I am now in the process of building a fullsize 1911 for IPSC
Old January 9, 2002, 03:05 PM   #6
RH Factor

Thanks for all the advice...I'll get the mags for now and start saving my pennies for something more competitive..ie. 1911.
RH Factor
Old January 9, 2002, 03:06 PM   #7
jhisaac

Keep shooting. I'm shooting a S&W 410 in production class with 4 mags. I've been OK so far. The club where I shoot (Croc Dundee Practical Shooters) has an big annual match (Crazy Croc Banzai Ballistic- or something like that) that has a 60 round stage. I'll have to buy more mags, borrow some or reload mags in the middle of the stage.

jhisaac
Old January 9, 2002, 03:21 PM   #8
Hamar

Hey RH Factor, Look at the EAA Witness in .40. It's a good start and can be modified by a good smithy into a smokin comp gun. Or if you want look at a Para Ord., You could do the same thing with that, and then let the smithy set it up in 38 super if thats what you want.
Old January 10, 2002, 04:18 AM   #9
1911A1 fan

One word !

And that would be IDPA, a lot more real world!
Old January 10, 2002, 08:03 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

USING MY REDHAWKS (EMPATHY HERE) -- "RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG"

Sometimes I come to the line with ten speedloaders; in itself not such a big deal but those sixty 44 Mag cartridges with their 300g bullets kinda weigh me down.

Game or practice?

If used for gun-handling enhancement then it really doesn't matter if you win, just how you learn. I'll take 'practical' over 'gaminess' any day (and I've never won).
Funny that way; refuse to use 10-rd mags in my 1911, cause that's not what I carry.......know what I mean?
Old January 10, 2002, 04:00 PM   #11
standby

1911A1 said:

One word !
And that would be IDPA, a lot more real world!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but not nearly as much fun!

Old January 10, 2002, 10:20 PM   #12
mr. pitiful

I also would agree. Give IDPA a try. Three mags and and thats all you will need. I would still shoot the IPSC when you get some more mags, shooting is fun, shoot as much as you can. I would seriously consider shooting some IDPA though, your sig would not be at a disadvantage at all as it would in IPSC.

mr. pitiful
Old January 11, 2002, 09:39 AM   #13
RH Factor

Great advice!

I would like to try some IDPA..but none close buy that I have found yet. I am going to get some more mags though, KY Imports is just a few minutes away. I really thought about getting a new gun...but it seems that the only guns I found that were anywhere near a price I could save for, and 10 round mag guns, were either a glock or a para ord. most other ie Sig or 1911 are all 8 round....heck thats only 1 more than what I have. The other thing is I want to be proficient with the gun I carry all the time, not with one that I only bring out for matches. Ssoooo...I'll get about 6 more mags...and some Fobus holders...and a good belt. Anyone know who has good prices on Fobus mag holders?
Thanks for all the advice.
RH Factor
Old January 11, 2002, 12:00 PM   #14
Hamar

Fobus .....

try ebay....search under Sig fobus and see what you may find.
Old January 15, 2002, 10:51 PM   #15
mr. pitiful

If you go the IDPA route, which I strongly suggest, especially ifyou want to shoot and become profficient with thegun you carry, you wont actually need ix more mags. It is nice to have them so you dont have to reload as often between stages, but you can only carry 3 counting the one in your gun. The nearest club for me is 180 miles round trip, and thats the close one, the other is about 500 miles round trip, and I drive an 83 GMC truck with a built flat top 355 with arace carb, so you can immagine my fuel bill per match.........I really got to move.

mr. pitiful
Old January 16, 2002, 01:02 AM   #16
garrettwc

RH Factor, closest IDPA to you is either Frankfort or Lexington. Check at http://www.idpa.com and go to the club section and select KY. You should find contact info and locations there. I believe they shoot the 3rd Sunday of the month.
Old January 16, 2002, 07:39 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

'PRACTICAL' THOUGHTS

Fobus stuff is already so cheap you can't pay too much (decent quality, testing mag carriers now, VERY snug).

Pay ALL THE MONEY for a good belt; it is critical to your system.
HIGHLY recommend a 1.5" dress belt from HELLWEG, Galco, Sparks, or Bianchi.

Your thinking "compete with my carry" is sooooooooo correct; the confidence factor of your ever-increasing gun-handling skills is PRICELESS.
This alone is the determining factor for my always-given advice to compete in IPSC/USPSA matches (at minimum); gun-handling skills (including SAFETY) are the emphasis.

IDPA is more like golf; whole lotsa standing around waiting for a few-second 'swing'.
Of course, there's lotsa tactical fashion wear you can discuss whilst waiting.

IPSC is more like shooting more. Do both.
Old January 16, 2002, 09:27 AM   #18
RH Factor

Well...I went to my first IPSC shoot last night. I used my Sig 239 .40...the gun I carry daily. Bought 4 extra mags and a couple of Passport double mag belt holders. The course of fire was 24 rounds...most people had their 1911's, Glocks, Kimbers, and such......all with hi cap mags(10 rounds). Some with mag wells and those speed aluminum holsters from Galco. The guys there could not be more helpful for a newbie. I used the OWB belt slide I use every day. Alittle nervous to begin with...we're shooting indoors and there's about 30 people watching through the glass at you. Needless to say I had an extra mag change since the 239 only holds 7 rounds...but with all that being said.......I finished in the top third...pretty happy for my first time......My little 3 1/2 inch barrel and 7 round mag. Happy I used the gun I carry daily...Really helps with the confidence factor when carrying daily.
We shoot every Tues nite..looking forward to next week.
Old January 16, 2002, 02:17 PM   #19
garrettwc

Hey RH, where did you go? Was this at Ray's? What time every Tuesday night. I would love an excuse to shoot more. The place I shoot at now is only once a month and that is not near enough.
Old January 17, 2002, 08:36 PM   #20
Hellequin

RH:

Get your Fobus holster from their website: www.fobususa.com

If you want a very good leather concealment holster you should take a look at www.kramerleather.com (expensive, but beautiful and functional holsters)

I use a wilderness instructor belt for both IPSC and IDPA. You can use it over your ordinary belt with no trouble. They are tough also. www.thewilderness.com If you like leather take a look at the gun belts from Kramer. What a beauty!!

Get a few more mags. And shoot any match that comes in your path. IDPA, IPSC, PPC you will have a lot of fun and will serve you as good training for gun handling skills.

Just my 2 cents.
Old January 18, 2002, 09:48 AM   #21
AndyP

RH Factor, it was great to read that you enjoyed your first IPSC shoot. I shoot both IPSC and IDPA and enjoy both, each for slightly different reasons. Here in Appleton WI we have weekly IPSC practice shoots plus monthy matches in Spring and Summer. Nearby in Ripon there are monthly IDPA matches in Spring and Summer. The weekly shoots are casual and provide lots of practice.

From what you have said, you will undoubted like IDPA. Both are fun and will help you learn safety and gun handling skills. Neither are meant to teach gunfight tactics. If you shoot IPSC for long, you will get tempted to buy "more competitive" guns. Nothing wrong with that, but be sure to look before you leap. I've been tempted to get a fancy $2000 Limited gun, but I've stayed happy using my Glocks.
Old January 18, 2002, 10:20 AM   #22
RH Factor

Andy...Trust me I have been tempted....until my wallet slaps the
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] out of me and reminds me of other things...like my kids. I have been asking on here and other places about the new Charles Daly guns...alot of people like them...especially for the price. But if I go 1911 style..I have to get one that I can find a high cap (10 rounds) mag for it, and I don't know if I can get that for a Charles Daly. But I am looking forward to next tues. and the next round of league shooting.
Old January 19, 2002, 06:43 AM   #23
jearne

Hey RH Factor,
Good to see a local LPSA member on the forum. Any 1911 will take Wilson 10 rounders #47T Bureaucrat(even Charles Dalys)! I have two! I shoot a Kimber Pro CDP and the 10 rounders work great.They run about $32.
We don't shoot those high round single matches that often. They just started doing that here lately. Usely we shoot 2 different courses of fire that consist of ~12rds each.
You don't have to have a 1911 to be competative! 2 of our best shooters use Glocks!! The big guy Corey won the fall league with a Glock! It's all about your speed and accuracy.
All I can say is practice, practice, practice! I dry fire a lot.

See you Tuesday
Have fun!!
(what about all this SNOW!!!)