The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2015, 05:48 PM   #1
oldscot3

Rem 1100 LT 20g

Anybody know the exact dimensions of the gas seal o-ring for the 20 gauge light weights? There are plenty for sale if you need one for a 12g. or the larger frame guns, but the LTs seem to be out of stock, come in a bag of 50 or aren't listed. Aside from that, I hate to pay 6 to 12 dollars when hardware stores sell them for a fraction of that.

I'd just match up the original but it came out in tiny pieces.
Old September 7, 2015, 08:40 PM   #2
foolzrushn

got dial calipers?

Can you measure the o-ring groove, allow a little for compression and get an approximate size to buy? The groove should give you an idea of the o-ring cross section size and also the o-ring inside diameter.

certified 'soap welder'
Old September 7, 2015, 09:03 PM   #3
oldscot3

That might get me there with some trial and error testing. I had hoped for a one and done solution. Thanks for the suggestion.
I have since seen that Midway is expecting to get some in. Six bucks plus shipping; I guess my time is worth something so I think I'll just spring for it.
Old September 7, 2015, 09:03 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd take it to the hardware store and fit it there. Of course, I'd tell them before I pull it out.
Old September 8, 2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Pahoo

Reinventing the wheel

oldscot3
Why reinvent this wheel? You can get these O-rings from Brownell, Midway or any "Smith" supply house. They should run around $6.00 or so. Also, these will be engineered for your service. Not only is the size important but the type of the elastomer, as well. For instance, If you buy a Buna-N for $2.00, it will be in pieces in short order. By the way, I have never pulled one that was in pieces but they do can wear out. I keep spares that mostly just sit around out waiting for one to break. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 8, 2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a bearing and power transmission dealer in the area, similar to Bearings Inc., they can measure your old one, and give you one with the correct material (there not a plain rubber, but another polymer). One designed for hot temperatures at hydraulic service will work, as long as it is the same diameter and ID. However, I'd go to Numrich, Brownell's, or Midway, as theirs will be correct.
Old September 8, 2015, 01:00 PM   #7
g.willikers

As I understand, o-rings are generally not made of plain rubber these days.
The ones from the hardware store might be ok.
O-rings are likely to get damaged more from going over the threads at the end of the mag tube than from other causes.

Last edited by g.willikers; September 8, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old September 8, 2015, 04:53 PM   #8
oldscot3

Pahoo - this shotgun was my late brother-in-law's. He was great guy but not a big believer in routine firearm cleaning. The weapon was used some, put away dirty, then relegated to the back of closet for about twenty five years. My sister recently brought it me for safe keeping; so I cleaned it up, oiled it and put it in my safe.

When I had it down for the cleaning, the gas piston and seal were all crudded up and the o-ring was dry, brittle and literally fell to pieces during disassembly. Brownells didn't have any for the 1100 lightweights, neither did Midway, but now they're showing that they expect to get some this week. I will be ordering a couple when they're available and I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel, I just didn't want to buy an assortment pack or a package of ten for forty dollars like the other suppliers sell them.
Old September 8, 2015, 06:45 PM   #9
Pahoo

More than one way to skin this cat

Quote:
I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel, I just didn't want to buy an assortment pack or a package of ten for forty dollars like the other suppliers sell them.
What I meant by that comment was that you do not have to engineer a replacement O-Rig seal as that has already been done for us. It was not meant for you to take personally but for everyone's benefit. I see now that Brownell and Midway, have these on back order and that is where I usually buy my spares. ....

Why don't you take a shot at this one as it looks like you might have better luck and pricing; ......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Reming...item3f534437cd

Be Safe !!!
Old September 8, 2015, 07:22 PM   #10
FITASC

Take your current one to the auto parts dealer and get a replacement made from Viton
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 8, 2015, 07:26 PM   #11
foolzrushn

I know that Viton is what is used on some carburetor needle valve tips. Don't know if you can get O-rings made from it though. Looks like the Ebay deal would be hard to beat with free shipping.

certified 'soap welder'
Old September 8, 2015, 08:49 PM   #12
FITASC

When I had an 1100 in 28 gauge, I was given a baggie full of Viton o rings - when I sold the gun sometime later, all except the one I installed were still in the baggie and shipped with the gun.

Ham handedness on removing/installing the o ring or using solvents detrimental to them will ruin them in short order.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa