The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 28, 2000, 03:31 PM   #1
jthuang

Oleg had posted, a while back, a link to a gun-related discussion in Ms. Magazine. One lady on the Ms. Magazine board mentioned that she was a gun owner but after she was attacked while in her bathroom, she got rid of her gun. Her gun was locked and unloaded at the time of the attack.

This got me thinking. A lot of us carry even while in our homes, but there are some places within the home where carry may be impractical (e.g., while taking a shower in the morning).

As for me, even though I own two Glocks (which, presumably, might be able to withstand the humidity of being stored constantly in a bathroom), I don't usually have a gun with me during the morning shower. I do, however, have a four ounce can of Fox Labs OC in the medicine cabinet, along with three other OC units hidden throughout the apartment.

Ideas, comments? Should I be like the guy on ak-47.net who brings his AK (I have one of those too, hehehe) into the bathroom every time it's gonna be a long one?

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old July 28, 2000, 07:58 PM   #2
Glamdring

Well my P 11 is usually setting next to the tub when I shower. And it is far less durable than a glock. I have had to scrub the slide once with Break Free since I bought it, about 18 months ago.

I don't usually carry a gun in my apt but usually have one within arms reach.
Old July 29, 2000, 07:53 PM   #3
Travis McGee

Concentrate on your perimeter defenses, and not on carrying a pistol on the potty. (First post on TFL, I am a freeper checking it out.)
Old July 29, 2000, 09:22 PM   #4
zot

I only CCW in shower if home alone, otherwise
if I'm on the pot I figure I'm armed.I carry
openly around home but the shower? maybe a
teflon coated micro uzi?
Old July 30, 2000, 12:31 AM   #5
Gunslinger

I probably should not tell this on myself but I will.
Several years ago while I was astill working under cover narcotis one of my friends and fellow officer was visiting my house when he noticed there were several guns accessible in my house. He jokingly asked if I took a gun to the shower. Without getting up from my chair I instructed him to go look in the shower. There in the soap tray was a Smith model 60. This was in the days before Glocks and plastic guns.
I still keep a gun folded in the towels in every bathroom.

------------------
Gunslinger
Old July 30, 2000, 06:04 PM   #6
shiroikuma, Anchorage AK

I think you are much better off making sure you've got decent locks and doors. If you insure that you get a minutes warning you don't even have to keep your gun loaded in the house. With decent locks and a solid door, windows too! you should have enough warning to do without needing a "heater" in the tub
Old July 30, 2000, 06:04 PM   #7
shiroikuma, Anchorage AK

I think you are much better off making sure you've got decent locks and doors. If you insure that you get a minutes warning you don't even have to keep your gun loaded in the house. With decent locks and a solid door, windows too! you should have enough warning to do without needing a "heater" in the tub
Old July 31, 2000, 11:53 AM   #8
ctdonath

Travis -
Welcome to TFL. Seen ya around FR.

Passive defenses may be circumvented. Continuous carry provides that last line of active defense, and can be done without paranoia. I don't carry to that degree (yet), but have had some curious moments that made me consider it; when you go to "orange" (possible danger perceived but not identified), you suddenly become acutely aware of what you have with you ... or don't have.
Old July 31, 2000, 01:19 PM   #9
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Question:

How does one carry "concealed" in the shower or tub? (ref: zot). Seems that would be a bit... uncomfortable.
Old August 2, 2000, 02:36 PM   #10
TearsOfRage

In a waterproof fanny pack? I suppose they make them for kayakers and rafters...
Old August 4, 2000, 07:27 PM   #11
zot

LOL ,just leave a SP-101 by the shower door,
not really CCW,could carry on soap rope?
Old August 4, 2000, 09:50 PM   #12
Ledbetter

Note to self: Install bracket above shower for nickel plated 12 gauge.