The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 17, 2000, 02:32 AM   #1
JackFlash

A variation of the "what do you carry for defense" question.

How often do you carry?

I don't carry most of the time. Never been accosted. I'm not a "target" and don't live in a target area.

Day to day I see little need. Day trips and "expeditions" I carry a brace of options -- concealed, open carry, and long gun back-up generally.

Old July 17, 2000, 05:07 AM   #2
45King

The only time I don't carry is when I'm going someplace that's guarded by a metal detector-and that is VERY seldom.

------------------
Shoot straight & make big holes, regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center
Old July 17, 2000, 01:48 PM   #3
Erich

I used to follow the words of Odin in the Havamal: Out in the fields, a man should never be parted from his weapons; no one know when a man in the open has need of a spear.

Now, however, I only rarely carry. I'm not in the same sorts of places as I was, I rarely encounter the same sorts of people as I did, and I trust God to keep me alive if he wants me alive. If I KNOW I'm going into a shady place (and I have to go), or if I'm going somewhere farther from "civilization", I'll bring something along.

I'm not saying I'm right, just reporting what I do.

cheers,
erich
Old July 17, 2000, 03:40 PM   #4
ChuteTheMall

I carry almost every day, because practice makes perfect. It's too easy to spot the new CCW's as they fidgit with their concealment system. Also, I practice a smooth presentation almost everyday for the same reasons. I don't carry at work because I don't feel the need, and it would interfere with my productivity. Try to carry as often as possible, in order to make it more natural, in addition to the obvious tactical reasons.

------------------
ChuteTheMallGawdSortaMount
Old July 17, 2000, 05:29 PM   #5
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Ditto 45King. I'm never unarmed unless there's active countermeasures in place.
Old July 18, 2000, 11:26 AM   #6
Country Boy

I'm armed almost everyplace where I'm legal. I'm not yet fully comfortable with the thought of carrying where it isn't legal. At least, not unless (until?) TSHTF.

[This message has been edited by Country Boy (edited July 18, 2000).]
Old July 18, 2000, 01:40 PM   #7
Ledbetter

I carry all weekend most weekends, even around my neighborhood, and always when I'm traveling. The rest of the time, it's "as indicated."

Ledbetter
Old July 18, 2000, 05:01 PM   #8
TacTrain

I carry 99.7% of the time. I don't leave it to God to protect me, if I beleived he could I wouldn't carry at all, but he and I have this understanding.....he stays out of my business and I stay out of his. Besides, he has a lot going on and when I needed him he may be busy protecting a liberal sheep type.

I also take a different view point than maybe some others, it is when I am in the wild that I feel the most secure, perhaps because of my training.....but when ever I get in and around civilization that is when I start getting really concerned.

Every once in a while, I do leave the house with no guns. These are normally short and well planned trips. It just a part of my overall training. These times, plus an occational visit to a guns restricted location comprise about .3% of my time.

Best Regards.........George Dean
"Train to Defend, Train to Survive, Train to Win"

Old July 19, 2000, 02:56 AM   #9
Covert Mission

I'm moving to MT, where I have a valid CCW, so I'll carry often i suspect. In LA, where I'm leaving, I would carry ALL the time, and can't get a CCW. LA can go to...

I do want to get something like a Taurus Ti .38 wheelgun, for those times when I would otherwise be lazy and carry nothing. So light in the pocket..., and when a lovely gal says "Is that a gun in your pocket, or..." you can answer honestly! Or course, she may lose interest
Old July 19, 2000, 02:42 PM   #10
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I don't carry at work because I would get canned if they found out. We have a section in the salary manual that states no firearms on the premises. I keep one in my Jeep Grand Cherokee anyway. When I leave work, I strap it on. In the evenings, I'm rarely away from my piece. With a good belt and quality holster (I use Rosen holsters), it's not uncomfortable carrying a full size 1911. On weekends, the only place I do not carry are the obvious no no's (airports, court houses and other federal buildings).

------------------
Son
1911 Addiction
"The tree of liberty will grow only when watered by the blood of tyrants."
Old July 20, 2000, 10:02 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

If it's legal or I won't get fired, I carry.

As far as not being a target or not living in a target area - there are no guarantees.

I can come up with folks in very upscale and nice areas who run into it.

Just think about running out of gas on the highway. You have a sample of humanity rolling by.

I've one experience with an interesting guy stopping to help. Hand on the weapon as I firmly told him it was alright and he could pass on.

Old July 21, 2000, 10:44 AM   #12
WilliePete

How often do I carry? Always with the exception of work. I teach school and the only ones with weapons are the six or seven armed guards we have and the ocational student.

Old July 22, 2000, 04:11 PM   #13
Allen_Raiford

If I am off my property, I am armed. Usually I carry a Kimber Compact, but sometimes a Colt Pony(.380), and always a folding knife.

------------------
"Pathfinders Light the Way!"
Old July 22, 2000, 08:15 PM   #14
Robert Foote

From the time my eyelids flicker open in the morning until I lay me down to sleep.

"Is that a S&W 442 in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

------------------
Old July 22, 2000, 10:03 PM   #15
TEXAS LAWMAN

Why would one not carry all the time (obviously, the exceptions being those places I can't carry [today, while in a large city out of state, I took a tour--bus driver commented that we had 10 minutes to attend to bathroom needs, etc., and let us out at city hall saying, "leave your guns in the bus, they have metal detectors in there"])? I never know when unexpeced trouble will arise.
Old July 23, 2000, 11:01 PM   #16
Correia

I always carry when I'm not in my home. I've only had my ccw for a little while, but already when I have to go places with out it I feel kind of naked. I had to go the the airport the other morning, and it felt weird not having a pointy thing jamming me in the kidney.

------------------
Ordering deadline for TFL shirts & hats is July 29, don't miss out. www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37865
Old July 24, 2000, 12:06 AM   #17
Kaylee

Correia, I think you and I are in the same boat. I just started CCW about - oh, a month ago or so, and already it feels wierd not to. So Jackflash -- short answer -- almost always when away from home, unless illegal or I just can't hide the thing it's so hot.

Can't say as I'm terribly concerned about being "made" by LEOs here -- heck, one Sheriff actually ADVISED women get CCW licenses a month or so ago.

God, I love this state.

"I'm not a "target" and don't live in a target area."

No offense intended, but I don't think a school library in Littleton Colerado was a target area either. Better safe than sorry.

Last thing -- storytime!
I was walking up a grassy trail tonight to catch the sunset, and all of a sudden there in my path through the grass I saw scales. As in rattler, I'd guess, given the area.

Funny thing was -- one second I saw scales. Very next second I saw scales through my pistol sights -- didn't even think about it. I never knew I could draw that fast... *heh*

(End of story, I went well around and went my way, no shots fired. And took a *different* trail down.)
Old July 24, 2000, 10:48 PM   #18
Bdog5150

I carry all the time (except where inadvisable). As a business owner, I feel I am a target but would still carry if that weren't the case. You never know what kind of crazed illegally gun wielding criminal minds are running around. As to the God question, I feel that God will help me defend myself when the time comes. Anyway, I'm never without weapons as I'm never without my mind and my hands.
Old July 25, 2000, 10:46 PM   #19
Jay Baker

Always.

If I could pick the time and place of an attack, I assure you, I would NOT be there. As I can't, should one occur, I believe in following the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared."

J.B.
Old July 26, 2000, 04:54 PM   #20
SG12

Gents, I wish I could enter into this discussion, but I happen to live in Missouri where our governor feels compelled to veto every sane ccw bill that comes before him. I remember several years ago reading that he was Bill Clinton's favorite governor (great honor, huh?). Both houses of our legislature passed the ccw bill with flying colors, but gov said his conscience couldn't allow him to sign it because blood would run in the streets.

If you all remember correctly, a couple years ago it was put to a vote of the people here in Missouri. I believe it passed in EVERY county in the state EXCEPT Kansas City and St. Louis where the liberals used their best scare tactics to dissuade the sheep from voting for it. It barely failed. I really feel cheated that the city liberals have so much influence over me and the rest of the state. I made very few shopping trips to Kansas City before the election. I now make NO trips to KC. Instead, I wait impatiently, hoping a Republican governor will be elected this fall. Then, maybe I will be able to join these little discussions and throw in my two cents worth.

SG

The way I see it guys, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can always get yourself a new dog!"

[This message has been edited by SG12 (edited July 26, 2000).]
Old July 26, 2000, 06:35 PM   #21
Covert Mission

SG 12: You forgot the best part: the US Attorney for that MO district, acting surely on orders from Reno, used his power and influence to actively campaign against that CCW initiative, on US ATTY office letterhead. Some say it was a clear violation of statutes prohibiting Feds from meddling in State elections. Of course, he was cleared in an internal DOJ investigation.. What a surprise.
Old July 26, 2000, 06:41 PM   #22
SG12

Thanks, CM. I had forgotten that part. You are absolutely correct. In the meantime, I keep waiting, waiting, waiting, . . . . . .
Old July 26, 2000, 07:29 PM   #23
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This really isnt a AF/CQC topic...
Closing this - you can reopen a part 2 in handguns.
Closed Thread