Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 26, 1999, 01:35 PM   #26
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jake- http://www.mdenterprise.com/
Old December 26, 1999, 05:30 PM   #27
ak9

Forget ceramic and plastic. Go get a Warren Thomas titanium. Lightweight, strong (read that practically indestructable), sharp, non-corrosive, impervious to saltwater, and non-magnetic. Makes folders, straight knives, neck knives in all sizes and shapes. Maddog Tools also makes an all titanium. Isn't that what you really had in mind? p.s. Mission knives makes an all titanium also. For edge retention make sure the carbide is incorporated along the cutting edge.

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited December 29, 1999).]
Old December 28, 1999, 02:56 AM   #28
E__WOK

I've got a Mad Dog Mirage Micro and Warren Thomas titanium/carbon fiber folder. The MD is 1/4 inch thick. It is quite strong. I didn't believe it would cut class and shave metal until I did it myself. It cuts through steak like a hot knife through butter. It will not shave hair off your arm but it will slice soft things very easily. Before I bought my WT, I was sceptical about its sharpness because my titanium Benchmade is practically dull. Not so. The WT is crazy sharp(sharper than a razor blade).
My suggestion is to get both types of knives.
Old December 30, 1999, 12:27 AM   #29
nyeti

I have extensive experience with Mad Dogs ceramics and non-metallics. First off I will state that the Mirages are unbelievably sharp; However I broke the tip off my micro doing a simple chore. I don't care what the claims are, I have relegated these knives to flesh cutting duties only, and no utility work at all. Just my opinion and experience.
Old December 31, 1999, 07:10 PM   #30
Rosco P. Coltrain

I hear a Ratan cane is a good defensive tool. It can raise some serious welts, just ask Micheal Faye.
Old January 4, 2000, 01:11 AM   #31
Steve Smith

I've left this thread alone for a while, but I happened to run across a Blade magazine from February '99 at work tonight. Apparently, the owner of Mad Dog knives said that they had 38% of the prying power of steel. Sorry, that's just not enough for me. For a REALLY strong knife, check out Busse Combat.
Old January 7, 2000, 08:05 PM   #32
Arnistador

Frontsight,

You are comparing apples with (pick your favorite exotic fruit). While 38% tensile strength of 01 tool steel is not "tough" by steel standards, it is excellent considering the other specialized properties of the knife. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we talking about non-metallic/ceramic knives on this thread?

The Busse Combat is a decent knife, but by no means the toughest. It also is not ceramic.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment
Old February 1, 2000, 09:34 PM   #33
Covert Mission

one point not made, i think:

the ceramic MD knives available to LEO's/Military differ from the civilian versions, if i recall correctly from their website.

The LEO version has NO metal insert, making it undetectable by magnetometers. The civilian version has a metal insert, making carrying past security mags (airport etc) difficult. fwiw.

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited February 01, 2000).]
Old February 2, 2000, 11:47 AM   #34
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for heads-up on MD knives. I try to avoid buying from companies that market inferior goods to non-JBTs when not compelled to do so by regulations.
Old February 2, 2000, 04:44 PM   #35
Christopher II

Whoa, Mr. Volk, hold on a second. You've recieved some bad information. The non-detectable versions of Mad Dog's Mirage X series are available to anyone with a valid state CCW, as well as LEO and military types.
I don't have any Mirage X knives, but I have a steel Mad Dog and it's the best knife I have ever owned. Check out Mad Dog's forum, www.tacticalforums.com if you have any questions or want more information.

Later,
Chris
Old February 2, 2000, 04:48 PM   #36
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I do not have a valid state CHL -- they are NOT GIVEN where I live. I make my own choice (not binding to others) that it is enough for me to have locals trying to tell me how to live and what can't I own...no need to have manufacturers join into that pastime when there's nothing compelling them to do so.
Old February 2, 2000, 11:41 PM   #37
Rosco P. Coltrain

I agree with Oleg Volk. If a company is going to sell a product, they should sell it to anyone who can legally purchase the item. They should not unfairly discriminate on the basis of race, occupation, religion, et cetera.
Old February 3, 2000, 09:28 AM   #38
Christopher II

Ahh.

Oleg - I know where you're coming from. I cannot get a CCW either, despite the fact that I like in a shall-issue state (long story, and no, I'm not a felon ) Anyway, if you feel that you've made an informed choice, cool. It's your descision. But if it were me, I'd at least try to find out why the CCW/LEO/Military policy is in place. Just my two cents.

Rosco - I disagree. A company should be free to sell, or not sell, it's product to anyone, for any reason. If the company makes a good product and justifies their sales policy with logic, no problem. If not, the marketplace will take care of them.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I'll shut up now.

Later,
Chris
Old February 3, 2000, 09:32 AM   #39
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I agree entirely: they have a right to set any policies that like (and I,personally, would be offended but recognized their right not to sell to people based on any which factor they like). I have, likewise, a right to dislike their policies and shop elsewhere even for products that would let me have. Same story as Ruger and 5rd magazines instead of 10-rounders for Mini14, only more so.
Old July 3, 2000, 04:24 AM   #40
shiroikuma

I wouldn't even buy Mad Dog's holsters after seeing that he'll only sell those ceramic knives to LEO's or Military. (CCW holders are not on the list according to his web site) And that really pisses me off too. LEO's have absolutely no better reason for such a knife (or a switchblade) than any other citizen. Why the hell would a patrol cop need a magneticly invisible knife for his offical duties. Answer that one. That goes for military types too. To have a manufacture promote that crap too. Boycott him.
Old July 5, 2000, 02:40 PM   #41
Arnistador

As a distributor of MD products, let me interject before this turns into another Internet witch hunt.

As the gun industry has known for a long time, distributors and manufacturers are subject to vicarious liability. We do not like it, nor do we support it. It is simply a sad fact of the litigous state we now live in. Our website states official policies regarding the sale of various items. However, we have yet to turn down sales to any reputable citizen. Have any of you even given Mad Dog or a distributor a call before jumping onto the boycott wagon? Have you been refused sale of knife?

Many times a retailer or manufacturer will post official policies as an additional defense from litigation and also to reserve the right to refuse sale to the gangbanger that comes up to the table at a gun show.

Give us a break and if you really want something, call and see what we're like before drawing conclusions.

Thanks for your time,

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment
Old July 6, 2000, 07:42 PM   #42
G50AE

Oh, so I guess Lon Horuchi would be qualified to make such a purchase, but an 18 year old martial artist would not be.
Old July 9, 2000, 06:07 PM   #43
wishbone

You can't argue with ignorance.Mad Dog knives are some of the best in the world.The wait for some models are Months or Years into the future.When more people learn of the quality and expertise involved in the making of each knife they all will want more than just one.
Old July 10, 2000, 12:06 PM   #44
Arnistador

G50AE,

If you have tried to purchase something from us or MD and have been refused, then maybe you have a valid gripe. We have never turned down a legal sale to an upstanding citizen.

Tim
Old July 10, 2000, 08:20 PM   #45
STRIDER

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Mad Dog Frequent flyers. Shame on you Rich and Arnistador!
They are superb tools, not brittle and while not cheap, more affordable than the ceramics. They are not great Knives for utility purposes, but as a discrete last ditch protection tool or seatbelt cutter they are superb.
Old July 12, 2000, 12:56 AM   #46
cuerno de chivo

Mad Dog now freely sells it's non-metallic knives w/out metal strips manufactured into them? Outfits like Mad Dog and Spyderco are just like Smith and Wesson.
Old July 12, 2000, 03:17 PM   #47
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Wow. The first flamefest in AF/CQC history.

GENTLEMEN, there's no need to insult Kevin and Tim. If you don't like their stuff or policies, don't do business with them. Simple enough?
Old July 12, 2000, 11:36 PM   #48
cuerno de chivo

Truth hurts don't it? Great quality, TERRIBLE policies. Just like SW. Is SW or Ruger policy 'bashing' now forbidden as well?
Old July 13, 2000, 12:23 AM   #49
shiroikuma, Anchorage AK

Darn right if MD doesn't like it he should stop pandering to LEO and Military types only when selling legal items. Personally I can't imagine a ceramic knive doing me any good in a hijacking, but I don't like the attitude displayed IN WRITING on his web site. Just because your employed by a PD or the US military doesn't make you a good guy. Not being employed by them doesn't make you a bad guy either.
Old July 13, 2000, 01:15 PM   #50
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This thread has lived beyond its usefullnes.
Mad Dogs Policy is his own choice.

This thread is also over 105K. Closed.
Closed Thread