The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 30, 2000, 08:13 PM   #1
HARDBALL

I am interested in taking some form of Martial Arts/Combative Fighting System, i.e.
Mixed Martial Arts. I have (years ago) studied,however my concern is my bad knees.
I wanted to try Jujitsu,Akidio,Grappling,etc. However,I am unsure that my battered forty five year old body can take that kind of a work out.
I have an interest also in JKD,Hapkido,Ninjuitsu,and mixed system like....? Does anyone know if SCARS is as good a Combat system as is advertised. It seems to make sense. I am 6'3" tall and about 235 lbs. and forty five years old with bad knees (for Kicking) however,combat knee strikes (that is to say,me using my knees as striking weapons, as well as elbows and head butts,seem to feel right and does not hurt,and low kicks and stomps should be ok for me as well. For a kinda of a big guy,I can move pretty fast but not blinding speed. I have studied Tai Chi and love the flow/non-line. movement. It helped me a lot. I have not so good wind/endurence,but I do have explosive power. I would value your thoughts. Thanks. HARDBALL (MAINE)
Old July 1, 2000, 02:22 AM   #2
Phillip

Check out this link, you should be able to find out some useful information. www.budoseek.net/
I have not heard much good about the SCARS system, but since I have never seen or tried it, I can't say.
I can tell you that if you have bad knees, Aikido may not be a good idea. We train in a kneeling position, as well as standing.
You may be able to adapt, but make sure that the instructor knows your knees are bad, and go from there.
Old July 1, 2000, 03:54 AM   #3
ICBentley

Depending on what sort of Tai Chi you studied, you may enjoy and benefit from:
http://taichiworld.com/

Old July 1, 2000, 08:28 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Wrong forum, dude. Look at that wrasslin' forum we have. Switch it, referee!

One
Two
Three
Old July 1, 2000, 08:08 PM   #5
Hard Ball

Try stick fighting, bojutsu, joJutsu or escrima.
Old July 1, 2000, 10:01 PM   #6
Squirrel_Bait

http://www.americancombatives.com/ is something you should look at, Hardball. Someone who learned this style of fighting in WWII was the late Col. Rex Applegate who, in his later years, walked with a cane and wore a big gold choker around his neck. The gold choker was to act as bait for larcenous young men to try to steal so he could use them as practice partners (or practice dummies?)! SCARS is mainly San Soo kung fu. suggest you use a seach engine to find the various San Soo sites.
Old July 1, 2000, 11:28 PM   #7
ChuteTheMall

Rather than suggest a specific art, I want to emphasize what I believe to be the number one variable - the choice of an instructor. In my late 40's I began training under an instructor who was exactly my same age, and although he had been training continuously for 3 decades, he had some understanding of how the body ages, and how to train adults. Too many martial arts instructors are in their early 20's and gear their classes towards children. I would rather have a good instructor teach an obsolete art well than get the false confidence of just being another body in the back row of a class in the ultimate combat art.
Cross training in more than one art is becoming popular, mixing a grappling art with a striking art.

------------------
ChuteTheMallGawdSortaMount
Old July 1, 2000, 11:43 PM   #8
shiroikuma

If you like the Chinese Martial Arts (kung-fu in all it's flavors) try the Kung Fu Online forum. http://216.219.234.88/cgi-local/Ultimate.cgi
Old July 2, 2000, 12:53 AM   #9
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Let's move this to the Close Quarters Combat forum (1st forum on the list).

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited July 02, 2000).]
Old July 2, 2000, 02:38 PM   #10
Zensho

Try http://www.fighting.net/ Paul Vunak's site. If you are looking for attributes that work in a real fight it may be a place to start. There is a list of his certified instructors on the site, I trained for a year or so with one.
Low line kicks are the way to go for the most part. Some knowledge of grappling is good even if you dont specialize in it.
Old July 3, 2000, 12:25 AM   #11
Skorzeny

Try:
www.royharris.com

I believe Harris is also affiliated with Paul Vunak. His new "flash" site is pretty amazing and is probably the best (presented) martial arts site.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu