The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 20, 2007, 02:15 AM   #1
swk314

New FBI Report on Felonious Assaults

This is the link of part of the FBI study that has taken five years to complete. The report dispels the myth that criminals are lousy shots, and that they do in fact train with their guns. If anything, this report should remind us all to train constantly and remain vigilant.

http://www.forcesciencenews.com/home...html?serial=62
Old February 20, 2007, 02:35 AM   #2
AmesJainchill

Very informative report. Thanks.

I'm surprised they don't use holsters, though.
Old February 20, 2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Long Path

Quote:
Predominately handguns were used in the assaults on officers and all but one were obtained illegally, usually in street transactions or in thefts. In contrast to media myth, none of the firearms in the study was obtained from gun shows. What was available "was the overriding factor in weapon choice," the report says. Only 1 offender hand-picked a particular gun "because he felt it would do the most damage to a human being."

Researcher Davis, in a presentation and discussion for the International Assn. of Chiefs of Police, noted that none of the attackers interviewed was "hindered by any law--federal, state or local--that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership. They just laughed at gun laws."
Very telling.

But please recognize that this is not the FBI UCR report, but rather a review of that several hundred page report.
Old February 20, 2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Deaf Smith

They don't use holsters cause belt rigs are much harder to ditch in a hurry than just the gun.

The report does not supprise me.

Now I do see a misunderstanding as to how many of them practice. Some hardcore do, but not every thug on the street.

Nor the bravado about how many of them are willing to shoot it out. I think that's just mostly brag. I notice gangs don't shoot it out with cops all that much. And it's easy to say how tough you would be when you don't have to do the walk at that time.
Old February 22, 2007, 01:21 PM   #5
FLA2760

Re FBI report on assaults

Note that there were NO GUNSHOW buys!
Old February 22, 2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Beckerich

of course there werent, even i can see that and im not in the US, all the people I see here know about guns and although I think some are a little paranoid none of them seem like they would act like clowns showing off.