The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 13, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
GLP Standard

US Marshal

Anyone know whats involved in becoming a US Marshal? I want to do something in Law Enforcement, and want some information on a US Marshal. Whats involved in training, prerequisites, how much does it pay, danger level on a scale of 1 to 10, etc...?
Old October 13, 2005, 09:13 PM   #2
Hollywood D

I was in intern for a summer with the US marshals office when I was in college. To get the best info get on their website and contact the recruiter for your area. Pay isn't that great starting off. It's tough to get hired. Only the elite make it, just like any other law enforcement of fire fighting job.
Old October 13, 2005, 09:35 PM   #3
USP45usp

GSP,

I would check the official site http://www.usdoj.gov/marshals/ .

Good luck in your endeavers. If you can't qualify for the Marsals straight in, maybe you could try a stint in the armed services as an MP/SP and then get into a more specialized unit (all I know is Air Force and that would be Combat Comm. or Search and Rescue), that will give you the experience and the leg up on getting into the Marshals, etc..

You can also use the Military to pay for your degree in Law Enforcement to boot .

You're young so the world is at your fingertips. I don't know what job you were talking about in another thread but all I say is that go for what you want, and then grab the ring and run with it.

Good luck to you, may you get what you want .

Wayne
Old October 13, 2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Hollywood D

Oh, and danger level depends. Most of the time they were in court with prisoners (unless you're an investigator). But, while in the cell block, the one actually handling the prisoners is unarmed. Potential for violence there. I was able to go on a few runs where we served some papers on people. I wasn't allowed on warrant arrests or anything like that though. All that was actually kept secret from me.

Last time they did a hiring process was 2001
Old October 13, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Blackwater OPS

Training is 10 weeks at fletc like most fed LE jobs, if you live near a federal coust you can also work for them as a sort of balif, which i did in DC. It's pretty lame.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old October 14, 2005, 04:32 AM   #6
Jeff22

the Marshals Service

The personnel functioning as baliffs in Federal Court are called COURT SECURITY OFFICERS and are not full fledged U.S. Marshals. There are about a dozen that work at the local Federal Court house. They are armed, and are all retired police officers or deputies or state troopers.

Many federal court houses also have armed uniformed security personnel for security of the facility. They are usually contract employees and are actually employed by Wackenhut or one of the larger private firms.

I know a couple of the local US Marshals slightly, mostly from attending training with them or bumping into them at the range. They've told me that the best job in the Marshals Service is doing fugitive apprehensions. (It's not as cool as being Tommy Lee Jones in THE FUGITIVE but it's pretty good)

They do have a program where they hire MPs & SPs right off active duty. The younger brother of one of our dispatchers was accepted and then had to drop out because he got his crazy girlfriend pregnant, and now he works in a liquor store and as a pizza delivery guy and battles her about visitation rights. A bad ending to that story . . . his whole life plan got derailed.

Another one of our dispatchers is waiting for the USMS to start a hiring process, which may happen in 2006. He has a double major in Political Science and Spanish with a minor in criminal justice, so I would think he would be an attractive candidate.
Old October 14, 2005, 09:47 AM   #7
John Ringo

Well, like any federal law enforcement job it's a numbers game. You'll apply, get setup with a written exam, then a panel interview, and then background check. Same with FBI or Secret Service. The pay starts between $38K to around $42K with typically a 24 month probationary period.

The problem with Fed LEO jobs is that you easily get lost in the shuffle unless you are a specific quota that they are recruiting for. Just get in there and give it 100%.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old October 14, 2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Sulaco2

If you speak another language you get bucko extra points, Spanish or any middle eastern will be of great value in the process. They consider it a bad thing if you wear glassess and you have never seen a background check like the one they do, makes the Secret Service look like some casual phone calls.
Old October 14, 2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Doug.38PR

Well, you contact Tommy Lee Jones and ask to speak to Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard and he will put you into training with his team of misfits (see The Fugitive or U.S. Marshals for more details )
Old October 14, 2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Blackwater OPS

Secret service BG check is MUCH more intense than the Marshalls. Personal exp.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")