The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2012, 01:44 AM   #1
garryc

Any .224 fmj bullets worth a darn

I bought some bulk .224 62gr fmj's, not worth crap. Same for my bulk 55gr FMJ bullets. I think they are both PRIVI, I ask now. The thing is that reading around it doesn't seem and of the 55gr FMJ's are any good.

How about Remington, Hornady and Winchesters? Are any of them worth a darn? I'm not looking for match stuff, but under 2 inches might be nice. I've been using TAC, Will try some 748 this weekend. I might dip into my precious Varget just to see if I can get the bullets to shoot. I wanted to use a spherical so I don't have to trickle every charge.

At this rate I might as well use military pulled.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:57 AM   #2
thump_rrr

I use Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT with cannelure.
I think Varget will be too slow with 55 gr bullets.
I use it with my 69gr SMK's
I use IMR XBR 8208 with the 55gr. Good velocity and not much flash.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:43 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

The Winchester 55 gr FMJs and SPs are absolute crap. Stay far away.

Remington 55s are tolerable, but not great.

Hornady 55s are great bullets, especially for the price.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:08 AM   #4
alloy

Quote:
reading around it doesn't seem and of the 55gr FMJ's are any good
Widener's Lake City 55(xm193 projectiles) will shoot under 2" without unexplainable fliers out of my 16" 1 in 7. I use H335 and WSR primers with them loaded fairly hot, so that's all I got on powder/primers, but they make good plinkers, FCD crimped, and shoot consistant enough for me.

Tried 1000 Armscor 62 grainers and failed to hit anything smaller than 4 or 5 inches so I know what you mean.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

I use both Sierra and PRVI 50 and 55 grain bullets in my .222.

The Sierra 50 grain seem to shoot a little tighter, but the 50 and 55 grain PRVI works for me.
Old February 15, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
garryc

Well, I need to separate issues. My 55 grain V-max load using Varget will stack them in one hole from my RRA NM. So I might as well try that in the M-4 with 55gr FMJ's, And I might as well burn some WW748 while I'm at it. I think I have a little 4198 left, why not.

I wanted a spherical powder so I can run the loads fast. I want to make 2000 or so and put them on strippers. Three to a vacuum sealed pack and stack them away. Then I can rotate stock.

I'm going to loose that goofy expandable stock and put on either an A-2 stock or a Magpull MOE. I don't see room clearing or CQB in the future for my fat old butt. And that trigger is gritty as all heck. A two stage match trigger would be nice.